Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:57 pm

Poll: How you work that out?
This poll is closed.
My religion represent God
3.70%
1 3.70%
I take from what religions say
0%
0 0%
No religion represent God
25.93%
7 25.93%
I wouldn't know
11.11%
3 11.11%
I am not interested
18.52%
5 18.52%
I have no other way to know so I just write what religions say
0%
0 0%
Nah.
40.74%
11 40.74%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do religions represent God?
Do religions represent God?
I noticed that most people in the forum when talk about God both in the positive and negative take from what religions say.
It never came in their mind that what religions say may be totally different from what God (if exist at all)
may think or say.
I brought the attention to this failing time and time again but people keep on falling in the same trap so I
open a poll to see what they think regard all this.
RE: Do religions represent God?
Where do you get your idea of god from.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Religions portray themselves as representing their deity/ies.
What other source would you suggest?
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(January 6, 2017 at 10:06 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Where do you get your idea of god from.

At one stage in my life I was very interested in knowing what is behind this universal drama.
At that stage a mysterious force brought me to the teacher.

The saying goes........when the student is ready the teacher will appear.  Lightbulb

(January 6, 2017 at 10:11 am)Mr Greene Wrote: Religions portray themselves as representing their deity/ies.
What other source would you suggest?

I suggest to keep an open mind to all possibilities and have the desire to know.  Lightbulb
(January 6, 2017 at 10:21 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(January 6, 2017 at 10:06 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Where do you get your idea of god from.

At one stage in my life I was very interested in knowing what is behind this universal drama.

The saying goes........when the student is ready the teacher will appear.  Lightbulb

Does this force have principles to follow that help you live a good life?
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 6, 2017 at 10:28 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(January 6, 2017 at 10:21 am)Little Rik Wrote: At one stage in my life I was very interested in knowing what is behind this universal drama.

Does this force have principles to follow that help you live a good life?

Yes.

Yama and Niyama

(i) Ahim'sa': Not to inflict pain or hurt on anybody by thought, word or action, is Ahim'sa'.

(ii) Satya: The benevolent use of mind and words is Satya.

(iii) Asteya: To renounce the desire to acquire or retain the wealth of others is Asteya. Asteya means " non-stealing."

(iv) Brahmacarya: To keep the mind always absorbed in Brahma is Brahmacarya.

(v) Aparigraha: To renounce everything excepting the necessities for the maintenance of the body is known as Aparigraha.

Niyama

(i) Shaoca is of two kinds -- purity of the body and of the mind. The methods for mental purity are kindliness towards all creatures, charity, working for the welfare of others and being dutiful.

(ii) Santos'a Contentment with things received unasked-for is santos'a. It is essential to try to be cheerful always.

(iii) Tapah: To undergo physical hardship to attain the objective is known as Tapah. Upava'sa (fasting), serving the guru (preceptor), serving father and mother, and the four types of yajina, namely. pitr yajina, nr yajina, bhu'ta yajina and adhya'tma yajina (service to ancestors, to humanity, to lower beings and to Consciousness), are the other limbs of tapah. For students, study is the main tapah.

(iv) Sva'dhya'ya: The study, with proper understanding, of scriptures and philosophical books is sva'dhya'ya. The philosophical books and scriptures of Ananda Marga are A'nanda Su'tram and Subha's'ita Sam'graha (all parts), respectively. Sva'dhya'ya is also done by attending dharmacakra (group meditation) regularly and having satsaunga (spiritual company), but this kind of sva'dhya'ya is intended only for those who are not capable of studying in the above manner.

(v) Iishvara pran'idha'na: This is to have firm faith in Iishvara (the Cosmic Controller) in pleasure and pain, prosperity and adversity, and to think of oneself as the instrument, and not the wielder of the instrument, in all the affairs of life.
(January 6, 2017 at 10:34 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(January 6, 2017 at 10:28 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Does this force have principles to follow that help you live a good life?

Yes.

Yama and Niyama

(i) Ahim'sa': Not to inflict pain or hurt on anybody by thought, word or action, is Ahim'sa'.

(iii) Asteya: To renounce the desire to acquire or retain the wealth of others is Asteya. Asteya means " non-stealing."

(v) Aparigraha: To renounce everything excepting the necessities for the maintenance of the body is known as Aparigraha.

Niyama

(i) Shaoca is of two kinds -- purity of the body and of the mind. The methods for mental purity are kindliness towards all creatures, charity, working for the welfare of others and being dutiful.

(ii) Santos'a Contentment with things received unasked-for is santos'a. It is essential to try to be cheerful always.

(iii) Tapah: To undergo physical hardship to attain the objective is known as Tapah. Upava'sa (fasting), serving the guru (preceptor), serving father and mother, and the four types of yajina, namely. pitr yajina, nr yajina, bhu'ta yajina and adhya'tma yajina (service to ancestors, to humanity, to lower beings and to Consciousness), are the other limbs of tapah. For students, study is the main tapah.

(iv) Sva'dhya'ya: The study, with proper understanding, of scriptures and philosophical books is sva'dhya'ya. The philosophical books and scriptures of Ananda Marga are A'nanda Su'tram and Subha's'ita Sam'graha (all parts), respectively. Sva'dhya'ya is also done by attending dharmacakra (group meditation) regularly and having satsaunga (spiritual company), but this kind of sva'dhya'ya is intended only for those who are not capable of studying in the above manner.

(v) Iishvara pran'idha'na: This is to have firm faith in Iishvara (the Cosmic Controller) in pleasure and pain, prosperity and adversity, and to think of oneself as the instrument, and not the wielder of the instrument, in all the affairs of life.

Okay, cool.

Now if you wrote those principles down in a book, and then tried to show other people how this book could improve your life, thanks to these principles and rituals from a mysterious, supernatural 'force'..... then you'd have a religion. 

And this religion would represent your god.
- Thomas Jefferson
Each religion represents God in exactly the way its adherents fantasize that God wants to be represented.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 6, 2017 at 10:37 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(January 6, 2017 at 10:34 am)Little Rik Wrote: Yes.

Yama and Niyama

Niyama

Okay, cool.

Now if you wrote those principles down in a book, and then tried to show other people how this book could improve your life, thanks to these principles and rituals from a mysterious, supernatural 'force'..... then you'd have a religion. 

Wrong.

Shiva, Krishna, Jesus and Buddha never intended to start any religion and yet they gave principles to follow.
These people teach spirituality not religions but I guess you wouldn't know the difference.  Smile
(January 6, 2017 at 10:45 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(January 6, 2017 at 10:37 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Okay, cool.

Wrong.

Shiva, Krishna, Jesus and Buddha never intended to start any religion and yet they gave principles to follow.
These people teach spirituality not religions but I guess you wouldn't know the difference.  Smile

...a system of beliefs and values stemming from a supernatural power is a religion, Rik.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 910 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8643 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6058 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6671 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 2869 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religions future in the world... Won2blv 21 3507 June 15, 2015 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Do we need to study all the religions to know that God doesn't exist? Twisted 14 4350 May 9, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are all religions equally harmful? (Islam) Dystopia 16 4925 February 21, 2015 at 12:28 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  pointing out the unethical treatment of women in religions makes me a meanie? justin 4 2766 March 2, 2013 at 3:35 am
Last Post: justin
  Religions I might try before becoming a full Atheist... dudeofawesome 28 6720 February 12, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Angrboda