Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think American soldiers are put on too high of a pedestal
Do you think American soldiers are put on too high of a pedestal
I honestly feel like many, not all former servicemen and women have this attitude that they're some kind of god all because they volunteered to go fight a lopsided fight to be puns for wall street. On the internet when someone doesn't agree with my "Libtard" opinion they say things like this "I didn't risk my life so libtards like you would trample all over my flag". I never trampled over a flag, I just think differently than these people and have a more progressive view on things. My question is why do some servicemen have this attitude? Sure good for them for wanting to go defend their country. But in all reality they chose to most likely because they had no other options in life. Now that's not the case all the time, but I've heard that's quite common. The last real war where our nations security mattered was World War 2.

Sometimes I feel veterans think just because they served they get to dictate what others should be able to believe.

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Do you think American soldiers are put on too high of a pedestal
In my experience (I used to be a soldier), most soldiers don't want all the ass kissing they get. And when statements like the one you mentioned come from someone on the internet, they're automatically suspect. I tend to think they're from couch warriors who never served a day in their life, but who are all for sending others to war.

And if a veteran does make a statement like that, well, combat arms is where many of the lowest ASVAB scorers get sent--particularly infantry.

But really, if some motherfucker thinks he saved the nation because he got sent to Iraq to fight in the stupidest conflict in American history, well, whatever. Trump is President---that's how many stupid motherfuckers there are in this country.
(January 17, 2017 at 4:05 am)Opoponax Wrote: In my experience (I used to be a soldier), most soldiers don't want all the ass kissing they get. And when statements like the one you mentioned come from someone on the internet, they're automatically suspect. I tend to think they're from couch warriors who never served a day in their life, but who are all for sending others to war.

And if a veteran does make a statement like that, well, combat arms is where many of the lowest ASVAB scorers get sent--particularly infantry.

But really, if some motherfucker thinks he saved the nation because he got sent to Iraq to fight in the stupidest conflict in American history, well, whatever. Trump is President---that's how many stupid motherfuckers there are in this country.

Thank you for your service by the way Shy

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
(January 17, 2017 at 3:25 am)It_Was_me Wrote: I honestly feel like many, not all former servicemen and women have this attitude that they're some kind of god all because they volunteered to go fight a lopsided fight to be puns for wall street. On the internet when someone doesn't agree with my "Libtard" opinion they say things like this "I didn't risk my life so libtards like you would trample all over my flag". I never trampled over a flag, I just think differently than these people and have a more progressive view on things. My question is why do some servicemen have this attitude? Sure good for them for wanting to go defend their country. But in all reality they chose to most likely because they had no other options in life. Now that's not the case all the time, but I've heard that's quite common. The last real war where our nations security mattered was World War 2.

Sometimes I feel veterans think just because they served they get to dictate what others should be able to believe.

Yep, I do that all the time. 

Rolleyes
I think it's nothing but lip service in order to transport a nationalist agenda. It's always support the troops as long as it's only words, but once they're home, and often times damaged goods, they're left to their own devices. Far as I know America doesn't treat it's vets very well, especially if they need help to overcome injuries or PTSD.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I would question if they were actually soldiers or served. The ones I know would not use that as a retort. 

Get off the internet and go meet some IRL. I think you'll find a huge difference. I've met very few vets with that behavior or that I didn't like.

BTW, a pedestal sucks as a sniper position.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
At least all the US vets I have met here (and there are quite a few) were rather modest and solemn about the whole thing and wouldn't even bring it up in any way after their intro except to greet a fellow vet.

A related issue - When I worked on Long island in '04, I was repeatedly told by people that some of the local firefighters had become completely unbearably self-important and vain after 9/11...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Despite a few bad experiences with them, I don't really have anything against soldiers per se. That being said, I largely agree that the fact of someone being a soldier/veteran doesn't necessarily make them more patriotic, moral, or informed than the next person.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Soldiers should not think they're superior just because they served. But, I do admire WWII heroes like Eisenhower, Patton, Montgomery, Bradley, and etc...
We don't treat our vets well, and we don't treat our serving soldiers well either. We fellate the effigy of an idea of a joe, but mostly leave them to their own devices.  My entire unit had to buy it's own body armor or go into combat with a cold war era soft flak vest made for tankers..........as infantry.  The fucking insurgents had better gear than we did. The job sucks, the pay is shit, and you forfeit your rights in doing it. The only reason -most- people do it, is because they're poor as shit. They desperately need money for something and lack valuable skills, or the hots and a cot are the most stable life they've ever had, for all that's worth. Most come out of the service in the same position they went in, or worse off.

To echo Oppo, up above. I don't want the ass kissing, that's not really for "us", it's for "you". It makes me uncomfortable. I know what I did. If I described it to people for what it was, they might understand how uncomfortable it is to hear someone thank me for my "service". When I acknowledge another vets service, I'm acknowledging the shit no one talks about. Letting them know that I understand. Not congratulating them on some great feat of bravery.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1305 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What do you think about the police? FlatAssembler 169 13667 December 19, 2022 at 12:49 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 934 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What do you think about gun control? FlatAssembler 93 4007 February 21, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What do you think about the immigration crisis? FlatAssembler 37 4235 February 21, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 869 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1462 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1721 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3262 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1158 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda