Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Universe Is Not Locally Real
The Universe Is Not Locally Real
and the Physics Nobel Prize Winners Proved It
Scientific American

Quote:One of the more unsettling discoveries in the past half century is that the universe is not locally real. “Real,” meaning that objects have definite properties independent of observation—an apple can be red even when no one is looking; “local” means objects can only be influenced by their surroundings, and that any influence cannot travel faster than light. Investigations at the frontiers of quantum physics have found that these things cannot both be true. Instead, the evidence shows objects are not influenced solely by their surroundings and they may also lack definite properties prior to measurement. As Albert Einstein famously bemoaned to a friend, “Do you really believe the moon is not there when you are not looking at it?”

This is, of course, deeply contrary to our everyday experiences. To paraphrase Douglas Adams, the demise of local realism has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Blame for this achievement has now been laid squarely on the shoulders of three physicists: John Clauser, Alain Aspect and Anton Zeilinger. They equally split the 2022 Nobel Prize in Physics “for experiments with entangled photons, establishing the violation of Bell inequalities and pioneering quantum information science.” (“Bell inequalities” refers to the pioneering work of the Northern Irish physicist John Stewart Bell, who laid the foundations for this year’s Physics Nobel in the early 1960s.) Colleagues agreed that the trio had it coming, deserving this reckoning for overthrowing reality as we know it. “It is fantastic news. It was long overdue,” says Sandu Popescu, a quantum physicist at the University of Bristol. “Without any doubt, the prize is well-deserved.”

“The experiments beginning with the earliest one of Clauser and continuing along, show that this stuff isn’t just philosophical, it’s real—and like other real things, potentially useful,” says Charles Bennett, an eminent quantum researcher at IBM.

“Each year I thought, ‘oh, maybe this is the year,’” says David Kaiser, a physicist and historian at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. “This year, it really was. It was very emotional—and very thrilling.”

Quantum foundations’ journey from fringe to favor was a long one. From about 1940 until as late as 1990, the topic was often treated as philosophy at best and crackpottery at worst. Many scientific journals refused to publish papers in quantum foundations, and academic positions indulging such investigations were nearly impossible to come by. In 1985, Popescu’s advisor warned him against a Ph.D. in the subject. “He said ‘look, if you do that, you will have fun for five years, and then you will be jobless,’” Popescu says.

Today, quantum information science is among the most vibrant and impactful subfields in all of physics. It links Einstein’s general theory of relativity with quantum mechanics via the still-mysterious behavior of black holes. It dictates the design and function of quantum sensors, which are increasingly being used to study everything from earthquakes to dark matter. And it clarifies the often-confusing nature of quantum entanglement, a phenomenon that is pivotal to modern materials science and that lies at the heart of quantum computing.

“What even makes a quantum computer ‘quantum’?” Nicole Yunger Halpern, a National Institute of Standards and Technology physicist, asks rhetorically. “One of the most popular answers is entanglement, and the main reason why we understand entanglement is the grand work participated in by Bell and these Nobel Prize–winners. Without that understanding of entanglement, we probably wouldn’t be able to realize quantum computers.”

Read Further:

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: The Universe Is Not Locally Real
Fantastic article! Without derailing this thread, it is interesting that one could get a PhD in physics, "have fun for five years, and then...be jobless." That outcome, of course, would feel very real, not to mention, painful.
(October 7, 2022 at 6:25 am)Jehanne Wrote: Fantastic article!  Without derailing this thread, it is interesting that one could get a PhD in physics, "have fun for five  years, and then...be jobless."  That outcome, of course, would feel very real, not to mention, painful.

There’s a story (almost certainly apocryphal, since it’s also told about other people) that Ernest Rutherford was told by his academic advisors to take his degree in mathematics, because everything had already been discovered in physics.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't understand why particles being affected by other particles at a distance makes anything less real, but IANAP.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(October 7, 2022 at 8:08 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: I don't understand why particles being affected by other particles at a distance makes anything less real, but IANAP.

[Image: schrocat_t.jpg]

Will this tee make me look fat?
It will and won't.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Some days I feel like I'm not localy real!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Yes, quantum mechanics is accurate. No, classical physics is not. So you can't understand the universe using classical ideas.

No, at the quantum level, things don't have definite properties between observations. Quantum mechanics is a probabilistic description and not a deterministic one.

No, there is no 'communication' between widely separated particles. There are correlations that are set up when the particles are formed.
My consciousness doesn't seem real.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
I've decided to start learning Hmong and Spanish. Maybe it's time I acquired a decent grasp of physics as well. No time like the present to learn something new.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16634 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1165 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 407 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2464 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1862 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6218 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3910 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5955 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2478 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  LHC rainbow universe dyresand 9 1900 October 22, 2017 at 9:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13