Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infinite Universe?
Infinite Universe?
I’m continuing to go down this cosmology rabbit hole. Most recently I’ve been reading, watching, and thinking a lot about the implications of an infinite universe.

If the nature of the geometry of the universe itself is infinite, and the cosmic background radiation is largely uniform everywhere throughout said infinite plain… then are we dealing with the possibility of infinite galaxies? Infinite stars? Infinite… everything?

Is this the only conclusion we can reach if the universe is truly a “flat” expanse? According to what I’ve read, most scientists are leaning very heavily in the “no evidence for curvature” direction when it comes to the geometry of the universe. I’m trying to comprehend the implications of that.
RE: Infinite Universe?
(May 2, 2022 at 9:34 pm)JairCrawford Wrote: I’m continuing to go down this cosmology rabbit hole. Most recently I’ve been reading, watching, and thinking a lot about the implications of an infinite universe.

If the nature of the geometry of the universe itself is infinite, and the cosmic background radiation is largely uniform everywhere throughout said infinite plain… then are we dealing with the possibility of infinite galaxies? Infinite stars? Infinite… everything?

Is this the only conclusion we can reach if the universe is truly a “flat” expanse? According to what I’ve read, most scientists are leaning very heavily in the “no evidence for curvature” direction when it comes to the geometry of the universe. I’m trying to comprehend the implications of that.

Space is big.

Really big.

Wink
Dying to live, living to die.
I skim read that as Rabbi hole, and I was all like Naughty
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
We've been through this before. Physical models of beginningless, infinite and eternal Universes exist in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
(May 2, 2022 at 10:34 pm)Jehanne Wrote: We've been through this before. Physical models of beginningless, infinite and eternal Universes exist in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

Right but the implications of it went completely over my head before.

So if we are dealing with an open geometry… we have the observable universe. I’ve read some people have made estimations of how much bigger the universe could be beyond our observable universe and I think the number that came out of the study was some 270 times larger than the observable universe.

That’s huge. But… how can that be if we have an infinite universe? 270 times the size of the observable universe still implies a finite number of galaxies does it not?

And if we are talking truly infinite, in the purest sense… how far does it go? Are we talking, “we have doppelgängers on an almost identical earth somewhere with minor fluctuations over and over and over again”?
"we dont know".
(May 2, 2022 at 11:49 pm)JairCrawford Wrote:
(May 2, 2022 at 10:34 pm)Jehanne Wrote: We've been through this before. Physical models of beginningless, infinite and eternal Universes exist in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

Right but the implications of it went completely over my head before.

So if we are dealing with an open geometry… we have the observable universe. I’ve read some people have made estimations of how much bigger the universe could be beyond our observable universe and I think the number that came out of the study was some 270 times larger than the observable universe.

That’s huge. But… how can that be if we have an infinite universe? 270 times the size of the observable universe still implies a finite number of galaxies does it not?

And if we are talking truly infinite, in the purest sense… how far does it go? Are we talking, “we have doppelgängers on an almost identical earth somewhere with minor fluctuations over and over and over again”?

For me, an infinite Universe, in both space and time, is no different than an infinite set of prime numbers.
(May 2, 2022 at 9:34 pm)JairCrawford Wrote: I’m continuing to go down this cosmology rabbit hole. Most recently I’ve been reading, watching, and thinking a lot about the implications of an infinite universe.

I have to ask....

Why does this matter to your mind?

Even assuming we build giant 'Put-put Orions' it'll be in the tens of thousands of years for humanity to spread across just a small section of our galaxy.

In so many million (Billion?) years  the Andromda galaxy will crash into and 'Merge' with our own. Assuming we're still a space faring species that's a whole shed load of 'New' territory throwing things about and adding to what we could investigate/settle/strip mine.

Since almost EVERYTHING else we can see is actually accelerating away from us.... Even with the bigest, antimatter or even Alucubra drives we aren't ever getting out there. It's all gone.

All these postulations are millions of years in our future making.

We'll be lucky enough to see Musk land back on the Moon and onward to Mars, with maybe some sort of angagethics and/or medical life enhancers to extend/enhacne our time before we toddle off the mortal coil.

Watch and be amazined by the things we're building NOW... Not where every thing is going gazillions of years in the future.

Cheers. Great 

Not at work.
If the universe is infinite and curved, wouldn't it appear flat to us?  Like Kansas.

We have no way of knowing yet if space is infinite, but the universe is future infinite. It will not exist forever as it does now, but will continue on in some form whether it is as an ever-thinning cloud of photons, collapses into a point again, oscillates, or has some kind of phase change.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16380 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5090 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 402 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2457 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1851 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6203 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3897 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5940 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2474 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  LHC rainbow universe dyresand 9 1897 October 22, 2017 at 9:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13