Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question to atheists about some unexplained concepts
Question to atheists about some unexplained concepts
Hey everyone,
I am new to this form. I am an agnostic, and I was curious about something.
I have been reading a book called "God's Laboratory". This book takes place in Ecuador, and it makes it clear that Ecuador is a very Christian religious country. A large deal of the book talks about IVF technology in Ecuador, and how doctors believe God is the decider as to whether or not IVF will work for a family or not. One part of the book talks about a certain saint Ecuadorians tend to pray to when they cannot have children. Apparently, there is a place where people can go, pray to a saint. Then, many have said the next time they attempt to have a child, that it works. I know it could be a coincidence, but it works for many people. I am wondering how this could be possible, and if you think this proves Christianity is correct because the people pray to a Christian saint. 
Thanks
Arda
RE: Question to atheists about some unexplained concepts
I would first ask for a scientific study on this instead of relying on claims in a book. Confirmation bias is likely at play here. It's common for people who have had success to widely report their story. Others won't be so vocal about it when it does not work. Even if they are, it doesn't make an interesting story for people who want it to be true to relay the story of failures.

So to wrap this up, there's just not enough to go on. How could I give this any level of confidence?
The book is real enough.

http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520270831

Her doctorate is in anthropology not medicine, though.
I'd be more convinced of the power of prayer if, after praying to a saint, the coupled conceived a child without benefit of sexual intercourse - strikes me as a tad more 'miraculous'.

Additionally, if praying at the shrine of a saint can work such medical miracles, why do people in Ecuador continue to die of cancer?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Leading the witness, your honour! Hehe

Are you sure you're not a poe?

Welcome, by the way?

PS, what does God need with IVF Technology!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
A lot of the 'witnesses' we get round here require a fair amount of leading...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Why would someone need to pray at that spot to that person if god could make people have kids?. Why not cut out all the middle parts and just pop a fetus in there?. What's with all the needless rituals ?.And yes i'm pretty sure this is a case of people reporting successes while not reporting failures .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I as a Christian would want to see stats on those who prayed and the number of successes vs failures. My statement doesn't in anyway reflect on my belief that God would give a child to just one in ten who prayed for a child. There could be many reasons why God wouldn't give the other nine a child. I guess you're wondering why I made the original statement, because we can go directly to God with all our prayers.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(January 22, 2017 at 7:43 pm)arda101 Wrote: "I have been reading a book called "God's Laboratory". This book takes place in Ecuador, and it makes it clear that Ecuador is a very Christian religious country. A large deal of the book talks about IVF technology in Ecuador, and how doctors believe God is the decider as to whether or not IVF will work for a family or not. One part of the book talks about a certain saint Ecuadorians tend to pray to when they cannot have children. Apparently, there is a place where people can go, pray to a saint. Then, many have said the next time they attempt to have a child, that it works. I know it could be a coincidence, but it works for many people. I am wondering how this could be possible, and if you think this proves Christianity is correct because the people pray to a Christian saint."

That is religion in a nutshell. People saying bat shit crazy things and other people passing it along.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

'Religion in a nutshell'? Sounds like a very appropriate receptacle.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unexplained Events That Happened To You? Jade-Green Stone 11 1242 November 19, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do religious folks reconcile violent concepts in "peaceful" Abrahamic religions? AceBoogie 57 10667 April 28, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 10855 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Question for Theists/Atheists Polaris 63 15017 October 27, 2013 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Cinjin