Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Violence in Islam
Violence in Islam
I have heard the argument that violence in Islam is only prescribed in self defense and that any verse that condones violence is doing so in the context of an ongoing attack started by someone else.

Thoughts ?
RE: Violence in Islam
violence is violence irrespective of context, especially when we are talking about an all-powerful being who should be quite capable of resolving things non-violently
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Some of the verses are about self defense, sure. Others are about killing unbelievers in war. I don't think it specifies that they can't start the war, which is what the extremists tend to love doing.
So where in the koran are the instructions for making a car bomb?
Islam, like Christianity, was spread and enforced by the sword. First from tribe to tribe and then from nation to nation.

Anyone who denies that is just being dishonest with themselves
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 25, 2017 at 6:48 pm)momo666 Wrote: I have heard the argument that violence in Islam is only prescribed in self defense and that any verse that condones violence is doing so in the context of an ongoing attack started by someone else.

Thoughts ?

Regardless of wether the topic is violence or not this is a commonly repeated thing.  Where you point something out about the quran and get told you're ignoring some type of context.

There's a book that's obviously from god because it contains everything we all need to know as human beings.  It's in another language though.  And obviously it comes with some additional quotes by the messenger who happened to pass on the book.  And it is absense of some context. 

I mean some chapters are entirely about personal quarells the messenger of the book had with people, which is a bit weird, I'm sure when you read an educational book these days the publishers don't tend to add their own personal disagreements with their next door neighbours and family members.

So yeh it's the book from god that contains everything except context, understandable language, and usually requires some additional instructions to be followed correctly.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I don't know islam/muslim/quran that well. I did find this. Seems like a lot on non self defensive violence.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/qu.../long.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 25, 2017 at 8:48 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't know islam/muslim/quran that well. I did find this. Seems like a lot on non self defensive violence.

How do any of those curses really differ from what Jesus said in John 15:6 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...V;NKJV;KJV
(January 25, 2017 at 10:42 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(January 25, 2017 at 8:48 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't know islam/muslim/quran that well. I did find this. Seems like a lot on non self defensive violence.

How do any of those curses really differ from what Jesus said in John 15:6 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...V;NKJV;KJV

Not saying better, worse, equal or different. Just saying they exist. I'll let you judge.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 26, 2017 at 9:04 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(January 25, 2017 at 10:42 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: How do any of those curses really differ from what Jesus said in John 15:6 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...V;NKJV;KJV

Not saying better, worse, equal or different. Just saying they exist. I'll let you judge.

When you compare the Koran, the Bible, and the Jewish Babylonian Talmud you will see that the Koran is the least toxic, the Bible is more toxic, and the Talmud is the most toxic.

It's like having a choice between getting bitten in the neck by an Eastern diamondback rattlesnake, a Philippine Cobra, or an Inland Taipan snake.  All three will kill you but the Inland Taipan (Talmud) is the most toxic although it's not that aggressive.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7784 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  The West's Response to Islam and violence...... Brian37 16 3137 May 18, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: dom.donald
  islam stipulates PEACE through indiscriminate violence driver82 9 1916 April 21, 2016 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Tomi Lahren: Does The Koran Advocate Violence? mralstoner 13 4343 July 31, 2015 at 1:29 am
Last Post: mralstoner
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5440 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33717 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet