Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using scripture as proof.
Using scripture as proof.
Why is it that xtians / theists seem to always use scripture to prove their point? 

Are people really that weak minded that they can't think for themselves? 
Or is it that they are so scared of judgment that they will defend the idea of god without question? 
I really don't believe that being brought up in a theist atmosphere alone is enough for people to just throw rational thought out the window.

Or maybe they were just never capable of rational thought to begin with and therefor are basically a slave to their own ignorance?
RE: Using scripture as proof.
Scripture, ?, what a pompous word for a tract of low grade 7th century BC pulp fiction.
(February 22, 2017 at 1:12 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: Scripture, ?, what a pompous word for a tract of low grade 7th century BC pulp fiction.

sure, I'll agree with that. I'm not a thesaurus though so maybe you can rewrite my post with better wording.
Quote:I really don't believe that being brought up in a theist atmosphere alone is enough for people to just throw rational thought out the window.

How can you not believe that? The evidence for it is pretty overwhelming.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 22, 2017 at 5:01 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:I really don't believe that being brought up in a theist atmosphere alone is enough for people to just throw rational thought out the window.

How can you not believe that?  The evidence for it is pretty overwhelming.

Boru

I don't believe it because I was brought up in a Christian household and after so long I started to question. Eventually deciding it was all BS. So if the lack of rational thought is the outcome of indoctrination then how do you explain people suddenly changing their minds after years of being subjected to 'brainwashing'?
The relentless quoting of scripture as a replacement for using their own thoughts seems to be part of protestant culture (usually baptist in my experience) I've certainly never seen it from a Catholic, nor can I remember an Anglican doing so.
The baptists seem to have a number of wayward features, being most likely to proselytize amongst a variety of  other characteristics.
Once you learn to distinguish between the denominations it becomes more clear what we're dealing with.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(February 22, 2017 at 7:06 am)Mr Greene Wrote: The relentless quoting of scripture as a replacement for using their own thoughts seems to be part of protestant culture (usually baptist in my experience) I've certainly never seen it from a Catholic, nor can I remember an Anglican doing so.
The baptists seem to have a number of wayward features, being most likely to proselytize amongst a voariety of  other characteristics.
Once you learn to distinguish between the denominations it becomes more clear what we're dealing with.

I see. Well I can't claim to know the differences in demoninations as Iv never tried to study them individually from each other. I basically rejected all notions of a 'man made god' and replaced it with my ideas based on what I believe. I don't claim to know anything is the absolute truth when it comes to anything that i can't prove via human senses. Honestly, I could care less if there's a god. I just find it impossible to understand how people just throw logic and actual proof of things out the window just because they might be scared of the unknown. And that's exactly what it is, unknown.
Using scripture as proof a given Christian isn't conducting their faith correctly is Godly.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:Are people really that weak minded that they can't think for themselves? 
All of humanity does so; while religious people use scriptures, non-religious use different books; science books are an example of that. If Darwin is somebody's reference, why wouldn't Mohammed be the reference of another?
(February 22, 2017 at 1:08 am)Incoherent-Chaos Wrote: Why is it that xtians / theists seem to always use scripture to prove their point? 

Are people really that weak minded that they can't think for themselves? 
Or is it that they are so scared of judgment that they will defend the idea of god without question? 
I really don't believe that being brought up in a theist atmosphere alone is enough for people to just throw rational thought out the window.

Or maybe they were just never capable of rational thought to begin with and therefor are basically a slave to their own ignorance?

Kinda' judgemental there aren't you. Do you really know what Christianity is and why it's important.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interpretation of scripture Foxaèr 51 6725 September 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 1958 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How to convert Christians to atheists in 30 seconds (ironically, using bible) ProgrammingGodJordan 207 19638 December 9, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  they are using video games! vaginahouse 18 5175 December 12, 2014 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet