Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Female wants to join Boy Scouts
Female wants to join Boy Scouts

Thoughts?
RE: Female wants to join Boy Scouts
It doesn't bother me. I don't understand why "scouts" should be separated between boys and girls anyway. Obviously the group as it exists now will reject this, though.
Welcome...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Good point. I think part of the reason boys and girls are separated is because parents wouldn't like their boys/girls camping together or spending too much time alone with the opposite sex @Jesster.
Nah. They are separate because of the times they were created in.
(March 10, 2017 at 3:27 am)ignoramus Wrote: Welcome...
Thank you.
(March 10, 2017 at 3:40 am)Jesster Wrote: Nah. They are separate because of the times they were created in.

This.

As an ex girl scout leader, the reasons are all very archaic.  Boy scouts was for boys (started in England, spread to America and other countries), girl scouts came later and Juliette Lowe, the creator, 100% started girl scouts to show that girls could be scouts, or anything they wanted to be, too.  

There are many mixed scout organizations that function fine with boys and girls camping together.  In many European countries, they have integrated their scouting organizations under WAGGS, and they survived just fine.

On the one hand, it was kind of cool to have a girls only club.  On the other, I feel it's outdated and unfair. Boys can enjoy a good craft, girls can enjoy a good hike. It's good for them to be around each other!

However, here in the US, they will NEVER join (these 2 specific organizations) because they are not 2 branches of the same organization.  Boy scouts is owned and run by religious groups. Girl scouts is, in theory, entirely secular.  I did fine for my 3 years as an atheist leader in a religious community.  No other leaders or council members, mothers or anyone bothered me about it.  I felt respected for doing good with my troop.  They were fine that I omitted Under God when I said the pledge.  They encouraged us to teach the girls that they could say alternate things there, or just be silent, if they wished.

It's still questionable if Boy scouts will even allow atheists to join, let alone be Scout Leaders.

Thoughts on the OP. She should absolutely be allowed to join, but Boy Scouts has some very hard line rules about members.  It will be a fight for her.  If she's willing to go through that for what she wants, then good for her!

Girl Scouts openly accepts trans kids, boy scouts does not.  I suspect they will fight a cis girl joining tooth and nail.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I can't watch the video at the moment but why does she want to join the Boy Scouts as opposed to the Girl Scouts?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Hi and welcome! Have you seen our subform on introductions? We'd love to know more about you Smile
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I have no problem with this, as long as I can join the women's gym down the road here.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nobody wants to work anymore Foxaèr 92 6167 October 29, 2021 at 11:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Boy how time flies Brian37 3 434 December 26, 2019 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Goddess wants to know.... Dom 11 1075 September 27, 2018 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  I Think We Have A Female Doctor Here. Minimalist 11 1316 September 3, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I Fucking Quit Too! Any one want to join me for weight loss? Whateverist 159 14515 February 28, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Who wants a meet-up? Cyberman 5 687 February 24, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Hey. Anybody wants to Skype and talk mindlessly about something? ErGingerbreadMandude 69 11899 February 24, 2017 at 9:49 am
Last Post: Joods
  Nick Offerman read tweets from young female celebrities Czechlervitz30 0 468 July 18, 2016 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Czechlervitz30
  baby boy name. vote your fav! Catholic_Lady 94 7981 July 16, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Who wants to get drunk with me? Cyberman 16 2329 July 10, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Athene