Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wondering about two beginnings [Alex K's musical outpourings]
Wondering about two beginnings [Alex K's musical outpourings]
Those who have looked at my own dilettante music thread may have seen that ever since I got meself a stage piano a bit over a year ago and taught myself some basics about harmony, I'm tinkering with a piece I made up which heavily features some 7,9 chords (at least in the first half). Anyways, it's now reached a stage where I think it's as complete as it's going to be considering my present skills, but I have two versions for the beginning, a more "dramatic" one and a laid back swinging one and I wonder whether I can somehow fuse them together.

Here's the calmer one (ignore the playing mistakes in there, it's just for purposes of comparison)

and here's the other

Whaddaya think?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Wondering about two beginnings [Alex K's musical outpourings]
Here's another fragment that was supposed to be a part of it but was kind of left over

That always happens, I keep inventing bits and pieces, and some fit together to form a song while others simply refuse to integrate.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

I prefer the alternative one better. It sounds more like an intro, and it makes the song sound like there's more of a progression where comparatively the normal one sounds more like it starts out in the middle. Good stuff, though.

When you say you taught yourself some basics of harmony, what sources were you using? I've been trying to learn more about music theory and am always looking for material to learn from.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 19, 2017 at 9:06 am)Alex K Wrote: That always happens, I keep inventing bits and pieces, and some fit together to form a song while others simply refuse to integrate.

Don't worry about it, that's how it happens. I've had fragments laying around for twenty years before I realize that they would complete another song.

I wouldn't try to jam the two pieces in your OP together. The harmonies in play have different enough moods that they could each be the kernel of a song ... and I'm inclined to think that forcing them together would sound a tad bipolar.

(March 19, 2017 at 10:24 am)Faith No More Wrote: I prefer the alternative one better. It sounds more like an intro, and it makes the song sound like there's more of a progression where comparatively the normal one sounds more like it starts out in the middle. Good stuff, though.

When you say you taught yourself some basics of harmony, what sources were you using? I've been trying to learn more about music theory and am always looking for material to learn from.

Since I'm such a Bach fan, my first goal was to understand how to write Fugues, so for baroque and classical music, I got two German textbooks, Kontrapunkt by Krämer, and Harmonielehre by Diether de la Motte. The former is very practical including exercises, but mainly for writing counterpoint, only with some overlap with harmony. Here's my best attempt so far at a fugue based on those studies btw.

https://youtu.be/1kEA00pF9II

Yeah...Fugue writing is hard Smile

The latter book by De la Motte focuses on harmony and has a very intriguing historical approach but is focused on analysis and not a direct guide for immediately writing something. I did browse Piotr Tschaikowski's book from which I learned some interesting things.

For Jazz, I went a different pragmatic route. I looked at all the introductory YT vids on building 7th chords, the 251 chord progression and on cocktail piano techniques. My first application I tried was writing 7 chord harmonies for the song Suburbia, the result of which you find on my soundcloud.

Good Stuff! I think I like V3 Normal better because it seems a little louder and more aggressive. I don't know if Tchaikowski is a differently anglicized version of Tchaikovsky, but if it is, when I listened more to classical I had a CD of his music that was one of my favorites.
(March 19, 2017 at 10:56 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(March 19, 2017 at 9:06 am)Alex K Wrote: That always happens, I keep inventing bits and pieces, and some fit together to form a song while others simply refuse to integrate.

Don't worry about it, that's how it happens. I've had fragments laying around for twenty years before I realize that they would complete another song.

I wouldn't try to jam the two pieces in your OP together. The harmonies in play have different enough moods that they could each be the kernel of a song ... and I'm inclined to think that forcing them together would sound a tad bipolar.

Yeah, maybe that's true... thanks!

I like the revised intro better. Overall has a more interesting character than the first version.

The leftover fragment needs to be a piece in its own right, IMO. Heard a bit of a Mozart flavour in the middle of it, too.
(March 19, 2017 at 4:46 pm)Astreja Wrote: I like the revised intro better.  Overall has a more interesting character than the first version.

The leftover fragment needs to be a piece in its own right, IMO.  Heard a bit of a Mozart flavour in the middle of it, too.

There can hardly be any higher praise for such humble efforts!

(March 19, 2017 at 1:35 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: Good Stuff! I think I like V3 Normal better because it seems a little louder and more aggressive. I don't know if Tchaikowski is a differently anglicized version of Tchaikovsky, but if it is, when I listened more to classical I had a CD of his music that was one of my favorites.

As far as I can tell, the book is actually by the famous russian composer. I thought that it was strangely fascinating to have someone like that as the author, but then again, why not! Do you remember which pieces of his you liked?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bring me two of anything in the .... Brian37 16 1113 December 24, 2019 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Cats musical trailer Fake Messiah 5 534 July 27, 2019 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Alex K's musical outpourings Alex K 14 1505 May 12, 2017 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Any Musical Theater Lovers Here? camlov2019 7 947 January 1, 2017 at 6:51 pm
  Show one or a few of your musical instruments. Banjo 46 3235 August 10, 2016 at 5:30 am
  Two-Sentence Horror Stories: Post your favorite emilynghiem 28 5460 February 20, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Strider
  Share a song or two Phatt Matt s 23 4014 May 5, 2014 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Musical Gloves Kayenneh 3 664 April 2, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  A song idea, wondering if its stupid Endplaintwo 0 1081 October 16, 2012 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Endplaintwo
  Two poets one family Brian37 7 2660 June 25, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37