Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Health Insurance: Canada Wins
Health Insurance: Canada Wins
This will upset the Make 'Murrica Great Again crowd.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/upsho...&te=1&_r=0

Quote:Canada has a single-payer health care system, which is similar to the American Medicare system. It covers all people in Canada, including those with cystic fibrosis. People in the United States receive their insurance — if they do at all — from a number of sources.

Compared with patients in the United States who had private insurance coverage, patients in Canada had a similar risk of early death. Compared with patients who had public insurance like Medicaid, Canadians with cystic fibrosis had a 44 percent lower risk of early death. And compared with Americans who were uninsured, Canadians had a 77 percent lower risk of early death.

Health insurance and hockey.  If only the weather was better.
RE: Health Insurance: Canada Wins
(March 20, 2017 at 12:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: This will upset the Make 'Murrica Great Again crowd.

Quote:Canada has a single-payer health care system, which is similar to the American Medicare system. It covers all people in Canada, including those with cystic fibrosis. People in the United States receive their insurance — if they do at all — from a number of sources.

Compared with patients in the United States who had private insurance coverage, patients in Canada had a similar risk of early death. Compared with patients who had public insurance like Medicaid, Canadians with cystic fibrosis had a 44 percent lower risk of early death. And compared with Americans who were uninsured, Canadians had a 77 percent lower risk of early death.

Fuck you Minn, how the hell are the uber rich going to feed themselves if they don't gut Medicaid/Medicare to fund their tax breaks the rest of us have to make up for? You are one heartless bastard. Ok, I'll give you one thing, toooooooo cold for me.
Guilty as charged.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Fuck 'em.
It doesn't surprise me one bit, except maybe that private insurance did so much better than medicare.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
(March 20, 2017 at 8:49 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: It doesn't surprise me one bit, except maybe that private insurance did so much better than medicare.

I don't know what planet you are living on. Before the ACA all the private insurance companies wanted were more healthy people, and had more of an ability to dump you even if you could afford it. GOP is basically going to allow those greedy  fucks to go back to doing just that. It won't bring costs down either.
(March 20, 2017 at 12:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: This will upset the Make 'Murrica Great Again crowd.

Well..  It is getting warmer in Canada.

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
(March 21, 2017 at 8:22 am)Kosh Wrote:

Well..  It is getting warmer in Canada.

The entire planet is and solely because too much of our species has this narcissistic view that we can defeat nature, when instead we should understand we are living in a home, not taming a pet. Greed and the fossil fuel industry worldwide does not understand that the planet cannot absorb the amount of green house gasses we produce at the rate we do. It is literally like not being able to flush the toilet as fast as one shits. I think humans are stupid, especially when it comes to ares and factories that burn anything. If you are not willing to inhale it directly from the tale pipe then what the fuck would make one think it is safe for the environment? Humans stupidly think since it dissipates so quickly it does not build up, which is false. 

And the climate change deniers are also stupid in thinking it is about hot vs cold. Nope, it is about long term averages. Climate change creates more moisture in the atmosphere because of the ice caps melting. That can also cause more intense snow storms and more wild swings in temperatures from day to day. It basically makes our entire atmosphere more active. It is like instead of car going from 0 to 60 in 20 seconds, our atmosphere goes from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, with all types of weather including cold weather but with a long term  warming over long periods of time.
(March 21, 2017 at 7:37 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 20, 2017 at 8:49 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: It doesn't surprise me one bit, except maybe that private insurance did so much better than medicare.

I don't know what planet you are living on. Before the ACA all the private insurance companies wanted were more healthy people, and had more of an ability to dump you even if you could afford it. GOP is basically going to allow those greedy  fucks to go back to doing just that. It won't bring costs down either.
So your saying they have a better outcome because they have healthier people, but the OP specified Cystic Fibrosis, and I assume outcomes related to treatment of that.

I'm well aware of insurance companies making a bigger profit by insisting on only providing coverage for people who aren't sick.

Do yourself a favor.  Invest two hours of your time watching Michael Moore's "Sicko."  He does not even waste time with the uninsured:  every one knew they were simply fucked.  Instead, Sicko deals with people who thought they had insurance..... until they went to use it and found themselves fucked flat by the insurance companies.

Eye-opening... and this is what the conservatards want to go back to.
(March 21, 2017 at 2:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Do yourself a favor.  Invest two hours of your time watching Michael Moore's "Sicko."  He does not even waste time with the uninsured:  every one knew they were simply fucked.  Instead, Sicko deals with people who thought they had insurance..... until they went to use it and found themselves fucked flat by the insurance companies.

Eye-opening... and this is what the conservatards want to go back to.

Conservatives believe the "free-market" can solve all problems because that is all their leadership (media and political) has ever told them. This is not true and has never been true and will never be true. They have been spreading this lie for so long that 1/2 of all Americans believe this and nothing ever will ever change their minds. Ever. Never ever. Never ever EVER!

Wait.. Maybe watching pawpaw slowly die from something he was covered for under Obamacare might crack through the ideology.
If god was real he wouldn't need middle men to explain his wants or do his bidding.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] The Mental Health Crisis T.J. 14 1218 December 1, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anyone leaving if Trump wins? onlinebiker 39 2284 October 27, 2020 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  IIhan Omar wins Minnesota Congressional Primary Foxaèr 0 221 August 12, 2020 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1445 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Border Patrol Racially Profiling. Near Canada. BrianSoddingBoru4 3 685 February 19, 2019 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Dem senators unveil expanded public option for health insurance Aegon 19 3710 April 26, 2018 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Aegon
Question Coveny’s plan for health care Coveny 54 9744 October 21, 2017 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Amarok
  The Health Insurance That The Republicunts Think Is So Fucking Great Minimalist 7 1705 October 18, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  My Biggest Criticism Of My Own Country (Canada) Amarok 11 4398 September 20, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: c172
  Nobody dies because they don't have access to health care. Jehanne 29 6063 May 11, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13