Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is up with the disdain Republicans have towards educational institutes?
What is up with the disdain Republicans have towards educational institutes?
I'm currently a college student attending University of Arizona. I'm majoring in Psychology with a minor in Sociology. I have noticed though that whenever I come across Trump supporters on the internet with sites like Facebook. They tend to attack my educational credentials. A common one I hear is that "I have been indoctrinated". They also tend to assume I'm a "snowflake" or an "SJW". When in reality I am none of those things. I have been involved with higher education for a total of 7 years this summer. I spent 5 years in community college and I have been at University for over a year now. However, not once have I EVER come across these stereotypes. Nor have I come across that one professor who is a "communist". lol

I just have to ask: where do they get these stereotypes from? Also, why do they seem to despise higher education? That is of course it's Liberty University. Do they just hate it knowing that college kids learn the truth about the world? I mean I understand, some Universities around the country have some extreme Liberals there, but still. I honestly doubt it's as bad as they make it out to be. The only instances of this happening that I recall was at Yale and UC-B. 

Oh yeah my favorite is when they tell me "I'm wasting my money". haha

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: What is up with the disdain Republicans have towards educational institutes?
They long ago figured out that smart people don't vote for republicunts.

The WLB made it a mantra of his campaign.

[Image: a7bfde8cd90ce07b9a70b78a4c4bfce4.jpg]
RE: What is up with the disdain Republicans have towards educational institutes?
I literally did have a History professor who was a communist. I also had a poli-sci professor who was a die-hard Ayn Rand type. So it doesn't just go one way. I'm not really sure how the University of Arizona is, but in Washington State most universities tend to lean left. My University certainly did. In the History program all but two professors were openly left leaning. Quite a few would go on political screeds in the class room. It's not really super shocking to find that in Washington State though, since it's a left leaning state. You might not get the same experience in Arizona, or might not get the same experience with a psychology degree. There is also the very clear phenomenon where people don't recognize their own political bias in their surroundings. At my college the campus Republicans would get booed and heckled everywhere and over everything. There was constant outrage at them even though they seemed like a subdued sort of group. Also most liberals don't think that anything leans liberal. So you could be falling victim to that.

Lets say for a moment that your college experience is different and indeed it was politically un-biased, most Trump voters come from a working class background and don't have college degrees. Likely their children won't go to college. This is the core of Trump's support. They probably feel like they are being forced to pay for middle class students to go to college through taxes while their own children don't. They probably feel class-ism between the middle class and themselves. They haven't been to college and have been told by Rush Limbaugh etc that college is indoctrinating people to be left wing and believe that claim, especially when they read about large protests against conservative speakers on campuses and that reinforces a view, accurate or not, that they already had.

So it's really not surprising that Trump's supporters would be hostile to public colleges.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Universities DO tend to lean left, just as people living in cities do. It is a direct result of being constantly exposed to other cultures, the homeless, people of all different creeds, the need for bigger government to deal with things like transportation, sanitation, water, etc.
Educated people in general tend to lean more left, so of course the right despises them.

It is wrong for them to stereotype ALL educated people as left, or all leftists as SJW snowflakes. It's just easy to do, as easy as it is for the left to call the entire right deplorable. Grouping everyone with their most extremist members is a cheap and easy way to dismiss the whole group.

Their battle against education is a long one, though. True indoctrination is more difficult on someone who is more worldly and educated.
Christians fought tooth and nail against the printing press, and even allowing people to read the bible, let alone for common folk to learn to read at all. It's exactly the same, for exactly the same reasons. Teaching people to think for themselves dissuades them from joining the ranks of the mindless. Given them access to cultures and ideas outside of their box makes it harder for their own to take root.

They claim education is indoctrination, even though it actually fights against it.

The further a person moves from their home town, the more likely they are to become progressive, or left leaning. Think about it. The real indoctrination happens to people who never leave their comfort zones. It's a pretty common tactic for them to turn reality around though. Look at the fake news claims. They essentially took a real problem, sites imitating news sites and publishing actual completely made up bullshit conspiracy theories, and put that label on anything they didn't like instead, all the while continuing to consume vast amounts of fake news on their side. It is literally their MO to be guilty of a thing, but deny it and instead accuse the other side of it.

Bias news = fake news.
Science is a religion.
Atheism is dogmatic.
Liberals are all brainwashed.

You get the idea, I'm sure.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(March 21, 2017 at 5:34 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: I'm currently a college student attending University of Arizona. I'm majoring in Psychology with a minor in Sociology. I have noticed though that whenever I come across Trump supporters on the internet with sites like Facebook. They tend to attack my educational credentials. A common one I hear is that "I have been indoctrinated". They also tend to assume I'm a "snowflake" or an "SJW". When in reality I am none of those things. I have been involved with higher education for a total of 7 years this summer. I spent 5 years in community college and I have been at University for over a year now. However, not once have I EVER come across these stereotypes. Nor have I come across that one professor who is a "communist". lol

I just have to ask: where do they get these stereotypes from? Also, why do they seem to despise higher education? That is of course it's Liberty University. Do they just hate it knowing that college kids learn the truth about the world? I mean I understand, some Universities around the country have some extreme Liberals there, but still. I honestly doubt it's as bad as they make it out to be. The only instances of this happening that I recall was at Yale and UC-B. 

Nothing a good hearty "GFY" won't cure.

I'm a republican. I live in a large city/metro area, am constantly exposed to other cultures (well as much as Omaha NE can be) engage the homeless and addicts on a weekly basis and have a graduate degree and am not anti-education. Oh shit, almost forgot, and atheist. 

So basically my position is, screw the people making assumptions and assigning labels.

OP: Maybe spend some time off the internet and engage some republicans in real life. We ain't that bad.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I grew up in a small town, only lived in a big city for college and a few years of work, then moved back to a small town. I attended a private Catholic school through 6th grade. I'm extremely liberal. I'm looking forward to moving back to my hometown in a few years, too, lol. I don't fit the mold, either.

They are generalities that still happen to be true. Many people do not fit them, but they are still actual trends that the majority of people do follow.
Correlation =/= causation and all that.

Still, I was recently reading about Maslow's hierarchy of needs, and it does seem that some education is important to reach the peak, for most people. I see a lot of possible implications.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(March 21, 2017 at 5:34 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: I'm currently a college student attending University of Arizona. I'm majoring in Psychology with a minor in Sociology. I have noticed though that whenever I come across Trump supporters on the internet with sites like Facebook. They tend to attack my educational credentials. A common one I hear is that "I have been indoctrinated". They also tend to assume I'm a "snowflake" or an "SJW". When in reality I am none of those things. I have been involved with higher education for a total of 7 years this summer. I spent 5 years in community college and I have been at University for over a year now. However, not once have I EVER come across these stereotypes. Nor have I come across that one professor who is a "communist". lol

It's a lot harder to gull the educated. They tend to have critical thinking skills.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(March 21, 2017 at 6:00 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I literally did have a History professor who was a communist. I also had a poli-sci professor who was a die-hard Ayn Rand type. So it doesn't just go one way. I'm not really sure how the University of Arizona is, but in Washington State most universities tend to lean left. My University certainly did. In the History program all but two professors were openly left leaning. Quite a few would go on political screeds in the class room. It's not really super shocking to find that in Washington State though, since it's a left leaning state. You might not get the same experience in Arizona, or might not get the same experience with a psychology degree. There is also the very clear phenomenon where people don't recognize their own political bias in their surroundings. At my college the campus Republicans would get booed and heckled everywhere and over everything. There was constant outrage at them even though they seemed like a subdued sort of group. Also most liberals don't think that anything leans liberal. So you could be falling victim to that.  

Lets say for a moment that your college experience is different and indeed it was politically un-biased, most Trump voters come from a working class background and don't have college degrees. Likely their children won't go to college. This is the core of Trump's support. They probably feel like they are being forced to pay for middle class students to go to college through taxes while their own children don't. They probably feel class-ism between the middle class and themselves. They haven't been to college and have been told by Rush Limbaugh etc that college is indoctrinating people to be left wing and believe that claim, especially when they read about large protests against conservative speakers on campuses and that reinforces a view, accurate or not, that they already had.

So it's really not surprising that Trump's supporters would be hostile to public colleges.

Interesting, my Dad actually had a professor who was a communist. He still sends him a Christmas card to this day. lol

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
When the poors become educated, they might start questioning the elites and kick them out of power. It works out better for conservatives to talk the working classes into the idea that education is something to be mocked and disdained.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 2110 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3263 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An honest question for the Republicans Foxaèr 26 1291 November 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question About Republicans DeistPaladin 13 1305 September 22, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 831 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
Big Grin Democrats VS Republicans I believe in Harry Potter 17 2013 October 28, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Rabid Republicans in Oregon senate Rev. Rye 5 622 June 22, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Republicans, can you explain this to me? Losty 47 6691 May 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can the polarization between Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. be reversed? Angrboda 36 5790 December 4, 2018 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Why Do Republicans/Conservatives Bend Over Backwards for Companies? Jade-Green Stone 14 1418 November 28, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist