Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal stuff
Metal stuff
My initial skepticism whether Allissa White-Gluz can adequately replace Angela Gossow in Arch Enemy is evaporating now, even live she's imho obviously become a really good Death Metal shouter now. Now, can we talk about those outfits...

The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Metal stuff
(April 10, 2017 at 4:41 pm)Alex K Wrote: My initial skepticism whether Allissa White-Gluz can adequately replace Angela Gossow in Arch Enemy is evaporating now, even live she's imho obviously become a really good Death Metal shouter now. Now, can we talk about those outfits...

Wow, I was ♫THUNDERSTRUCK♫.
I changed the link to the current vid I actually wanted to post, but the Tokyo concert is also good
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

I love Arch Enemy!

Alissa is much better, IMO.
Now if The Agonist would please stop sucking again, I'd be completely over the front woman shuffle.

(April 10, 2017 at 4:41 pm)Alex K Wrote: My initial skepticism whether Allissa White-Gluz can adequately replace Angela Gossow in Arch Enemy is evaporating now, even live she's imho obviously become a really good Death Metal shouter now. Now, can we talk about those outfits...

How can you tell? I've been watching a lot of videos about metal, and I still can't tell the good vocalists from the bad ones.

Quote:

Ooh, an upside down pentagram. How original.

That's one of my major complaints about metal. The themes metal acts use were horribly cliche by the turn of the century, but they still use them and think it's edgy.

(Sorry, I don't mean to bash metal, but like I said, I've been watching videos about it in part to try and understand it. And I just do not get it.)
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 10, 2017 at 5:24 pm)Faith No More Wrote:

How can you tell?  I've been watching a lot of videos about metal, and I still can't tell the good vocalists from the bad ones.

Quote:

Ooh, an upside down pentagram.  How original.

That's one of my major complaints about metal.  The themes metal acts use were horribly cliche by the turn of the century, but they still use them and think it's edgy.

I think you're reading your own interpretation of what they are thinking or trying to accomplish into it and are focusing on relative irrelevancies. I don't think anyone doing Death Metal in the year 2017 still thinks they are being super edgy and shocking by using a pentagram. Michael Amott was in Carcass back in the day, I highly doubt that he still thinks he needs to prove his edgyness by using the pentagram that is on one of the traditional band logos. Arch Enemy are usually projecting a political anarchist and environmental protection message. They have had a pentagram in one of their logo designs, but it's not something that has played a large role conceptually as far as I am aware.

The solos at

1:19:12
1:20:19

Now that's beautiful ! 
I never liked metal as a whole; only some songs. It's all about the guitarists for me.

Heart  Been repeating over and over. That is some epic stuff
Impressed!!
(April 10, 2017 at 5:44 pm)Alex K Wrote: I think you're reading your own interpretation of what they are thinking or  trying to accomplish into it and are focusing on relative irrelevancies. I don't think anyone doing Death Metal in the year 2017 still thinks they are being super edgy and shocking by using a pentagram. Michael Amott was in Carcass back in the day, I highly doubt that he still thinks he needs to prove his edgyness by using the pentagram that is on one of the  traditional band logos. Arch Enemy  are usually projecting a political anarchist and environmental protection message. They have had a pentagram in one of their logo designs, but it's not something that has played a large role conceptually as far as I am aware.

Perhaps in this instance. But you can't deny that anti-religious themes are super prevalent in metal and used by many bands to seem dark. It just seems that it's been done to death(pun intended), and at this point bands would want to steer clear of it.

BTW, that question about the singer was serious and not meant to be an insult. I've been wondering why metal fans like some vocalists and not others. I don't know if you listen to Suicide Silence, but the big thing on YouTube now is to shit on the vocals in their song "Doris." The main objection seems to be when the vocalist actually sings some high notes instead of screaming, but I actually didn't mind it and couldn't figure out why everyone is hating on it.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 10, 2017 at 8:21 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(April 10, 2017 at 5:44 pm)Alex K Wrote: I think you're reading your own interpretation of what they are thinking or  trying to accomplish into it and are focusing on relative irrelevancies. I don't think anyone doing Death Metal in the year 2017 still thinks they are being super edgy and shocking by using a pentagram. Michael Amott was in Carcass back in the day, I highly doubt that he still thinks he needs to prove his edgyness by using the pentagram that is on one of the  traditional band logos. Arch Enemy  are usually projecting a political anarchist and environmental protection message. They have had a pentagram in one of their logo designs, but it's not something that has played a large role conceptually as far as I am aware.

Perhaps in this instance.  But you can't deny that anti-religious themes are super prevalent in metal and used by many bands to seem dark.  It just seems that it's been done to death(pun intended), and at this point bands would want to steer clear of it.

BTW, that question about the singer was serious and not meant to be an insult.  I've been wondering why metal fans like some vocalists and not others.  I don't know if you listen to Suicide Silence, but the big thing on YouTube now is to shit on the vocals in their song "Doris."  The main objection seems to be when the vocalist actually sings some high notes instead of screaming, but I actually didn't mind it and couldn't figure out why everyone is hating on it.

We're on an atheist message board, so it's not like anti-religious themes are something you find completely pointless Smile

I think in some of metal, the occult symbolism has just become part of the style of the general culture. Some of these bands were founded by 14 year olds who used it to shock the establishment, and kind of kept the themes. Much of thrash metal and death metal has moved away from prominently using occult symbolism even if they are still often explicitely anti-religious, but now from an atheist or secularist perspective.

Here's some classic death metal with an anti-religion message but without much references to the occult

Here's one of my favorite bands heavily using Aleister Crowley's symbolism of demonology although they are to my knowledge atheists. TG Fischer in his lyrics mostly ponders about psychology and relationships, and all the demonology as far as I understand it serves as metaphors for a personal struggle. They have an inverted cross in their logo, but you'd have to ask them what exactly that means. They certainly don't claim to actually worship any demons or Satan, which they do not believe in.

Most of my favorite Thrash metal doesn't use anti-religious symbolism at all

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The History of Heavy Metal in Michigan Mechaghostman2 8 1579 August 10, 2017 at 4:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Who all here enjoys some good ol' Metal? Mechaghostman2 74 8256 May 2, 2016 at 2:52 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Metal and Hard Rock discussion thread Alex K 116 15010 July 6, 2015 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Revival of Favorite Metal Song Thread HeyItsZeus 114 32842 November 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
Music Favorite Metal Song HeyItsZeus 38 11025 April 15, 2011 at 11:19 am
Last Post: DiRNiS
  The Map of Metal Paul the Human 0 1024 December 7, 2010 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Paul the Human
  "extreme" metal? Disinter 18 4139 April 12, 2010 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Disinter