Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Nye Saves the World
Bill Nye Saves the World
Anyone checked out Bill Nye's new Nexflix show? 

I made it through about half of the first episode. Thought it was terrible.

It's like Top Gear for science. The formula doesn't work. Will give it another go but disappointed by the pilot.

http://gizmodo.com/bill-nye-spends-most-...1794583045
RE: Bill Nye Saves the World
I haven't actually watched a full episode, but I read an article about it and came across this:

I probably won't bother.
What the hell was that?
It seems like it's suffering from trying far, far too hard to be 'hip' and 'relatable' to younger folks... like when your mom tries out a meme or your crazy uncle just replies with "LOL!!! :emoji:" to a group text or something. From what I can gather from reviews and reactions, it also mixes in a lot of social commentary stuff that, while important, doesn't really fit with the fun science personality that everyone knows Nye for. It's essentially one of those early 2000s "FW:FW:FW:Re: TERRIBLE POLITICAL JOKE" emails that your relatives would send out to everyone back in the day.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Hopefully it will find its legs.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(April 26, 2017 at 10:11 am)Isis Wrote: I haven't actually watched a full episode, but I read an article about it and came across this:

I probably won't bother.

In poor taste, imho. It's almost like he's trying really really hard to seem "hip" and up with the times. It almost comes across as patronizing to trans folks.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 26, 2017 at 10:11 am)Isis Wrote: I haven't actually watched a full episode, but I read an article about it and came across this:

I probably won't bother.
God that's so cringe

Seems he's bought the transtrenders' narrative wholesale tbh. And why is this woman talking about being a "power bottom" or a "top" when those are gay male terms? I mean I guess theoretically a woman could be either if she had a dildo to hand, but still...
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

I've watched it. It probably won't last.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(April 26, 2017 at 1:21 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: In poor taste, imho. It's almost like he's trying really really hard to seem "hip" and up with the times. It almost comes across as patronizing to trans folks.

You're far too polite!  Tongue

(April 26, 2017 at 8:10 pm)Regina Wrote: Seems he's bought the transtrenders' narrative wholesale tbh. And why is this woman talking about being a "power bottom" or a "top" when those are gay male terms? I mean I guess theoretically a woman could be either if she had a dildo to hand, but still...

Oh, absolutely.

I think a lot of famous people have bought it, and you know political correctness has gone way too far when that cringey nonsense is featured on a science show. But hey, it's his show. I just won't bother watching it after that.
(April 27, 2017 at 9:30 am)Isis Wrote:
(April 26, 2017 at 8:10 pm)Regina Wrote: Seems he's bought the transtrenders' narrative wholesale tbh. And why is this woman talking about being a "power bottom" or a "top" when those are gay male terms? I mean I guess theoretically a woman could be either if she had a dildo to hand, but still...

Oh, absolutely.

I think a lot of famous people have bought it, and you know political correctness has gone way too far when that cringey nonsense is featured on a science show. But hey, it's his show. I just won't bother watching it after that.

You're right, I just expect better from such a well respected scientist. Even if he was going to say that he'd been doing neurological studies on brains of non-binary people and found evidence to support it, I'd respect this a lot more. From what it looks like he didn't though, he just swallowed a few Tumblr and Buzzfeed blogs and had his performers regurgitate it on stage.

This trivialisation of trans and gay identities down to clothing is toxic enough without having respected scientists validating it on no apparent evidence.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bill paying and automated vs real person on phone Brian37 36 1879 September 2, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  So I called my electric co to pay my bill and..... Brian37 9 1705 July 19, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Information How Rimmer saves Red Dwarf Aractus 0 947 March 16, 2016 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Anybody else hate Bill O'reilly KUSA 12 1960 June 21, 2015 at 11:42 am
Last Post: polar bear
  Bill Maher Elskidor 12 1915 September 17, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Epic Rap Battles of History: Bill Nye and Neil DeGrasse Tyson Rampant.A.I. 6 2589 June 20, 2014 at 3:55 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Bill Maher New Rules New Trend of The Super Rich Gooders1002 1 1660 March 21, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Bill Nye The Fed Up Guy Brian37 20 5521 September 23, 2013 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Walking Void
  Bill Maher's "Rules About Religion" collection. Brian37 9 3881 June 17, 2013 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Ambulance bill?? zentor 10 3604 July 17, 2012 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Faith No More