Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After leading ACA repeal in the House, Trump praises Australia's universal healthcare
After leading ACA repeal in the House, Trump praises Australia's universal healthcare
What a fucking imbecile. Seriously.

Quote:President Trump remarked Thursday that Australia has a better healthcare system than the U.S.

Trump's comments in a meeting with the Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull came shortly after the commander in chief praised the GOP healthcare bill passed in the House earlier in the day.

"It's a very good bill right now. The premiums are gong to come down very substantially. The deductibles are going to come down. It's going to be fantastic healthcare. Right now ObamaCare is failing, we have a failing healthcare," Trump said.

"[O]ur great gentleman and my friend, from Australia ... you have better healthcare than we do," Trump added, turning toward Turnbull.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) seized on Trump's remarks about the Australian system, which consists of both public and private markets, with its publicly funded universal healthcare system working alongside medical services provided by the private sector.

"That's great. Let's take a look at the Australian healthcare system. Maybe he wants to take a look at the Canadian healthcare system or systems throughout Europe," Sanders, an advocate of a single-payer system, told MSNBC's Chris Hayes.

"Thank you, Mr. President. Let us move to a Medicare-for-all system that does what every other major country on earth does – guarantee healthcare to all people at a fraction of the cost per-capita that we spend. Thank you, Mr. President. We'll quote you on the floor of the Senate."

Earlier on Thursday, the GOP-controlled House narrowly passed legislation aimed at repealing and replacing ObamaCare, sending their bill to the Senate, where it faces an uncertain future.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-r...are-system
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: After leading ACA repeal in the House, Trump praises Australia's universal healthcare
So to be honest haven't look that closely yet to the new policy. Couple of things I know quite a few people that ended up paying the fine of $1200 last year to avoid having to pay for health insurance. I know some bartenders that pay for the ACA but it's too expensive for them to pay to go to the doctor. I still have health insurance through my work which increased $10 per month and my cost out of pocket increased quite a bit for visits. I really don't know anyone who likes the ACA, including the girl I used to date who managed a hospital because it put so many regulations and extra costs on doctors and patients.

Also I've heard some thing that happened today based on how people were going to lose coverage.

I'd be curious to hear what others have dealt with in the last 5 years with healthcare.
RE: After leading ACA repeal in the House, Trump praises Australia's universal healthcare
I hear these stories of people who can afford their insurance (barely) but can't afford to go to the doctor.

Are there different systems in other states, because when we were on a plan from the marketplace, the premiums were high but a doctors visit only cost a $30 copay.
(May 4, 2017 at 10:22 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I hear these stories of people who can afford their insurance (barely) but can't afford to go to the doctor.

Are there different systems in other states, because when we were on a plan from the marketplace, the premiums were high but a doctors visit only cost a $30 copay.

I live in Wisconsin, and for some people I know that pay ACA, the cost per month is so much they feel like they can't pay the copay to go to the doctor. They are in their 20s, and making good money to an extent, but per month it's enough to discourage them from going to the doctor ironically. Granted they will still go for emergencies, the exact reasons they went previously before having to pay for insurance to avoid the fine of not having any. 

I'm sure there are people that have it while before not having it so I'd like to hear about that. For everyone I've known, costs have gone up dramatically.
How much are their copays?

Did Wisconsin expand Medicaid? I find it hard to believe that people can pay their premiums but can't afford a small copay. If there was no Medicaid expansion then I can see them falling in "the gap" but that's a problem with the state not accepting the payments more than a problem with the ACA.

When we were on the marketplace plan, we paid $450 a month for two people, our deductible was $2000, but doctor visits were $30 and even x-rays we got at the doctors didn't cost too much.
(May 4, 2017 at 10:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: How much are their copays?

Did Wisconsin expand Medicaid? I find it hard to believe that people can pay their premiums but can't afford a small copay. If there was no Medicaid expansion then I can see them falling in "the gap" but that's a problem with the state not accepting the payments more than a problem with the ACA.

When we were on the marketplace plan, we paid $450 a month for two people, our deductible was $2000, but doctor visits were $30 and even x-rays we got at the doctors didn't cost too much.

I can't answer the questions about the other people I know because I don't know their details. From what they have said it's taking too much away from their disposable income to feel they can go to the doctor for regular checkups, and only do the emergencies.

My deductible increased from 1000 to 5000 this year and that's through a major corporation I work for. Lost the plan I had and we had to transfer to the new one. I have not even signed up for a doctor yet, but need to. My visits increased to $35 or something not all that sure. Just really pay $120 every month and hope for the best. Granted that's a small amount but I'm not on ACA. Our costs increased because the pool increased and it's a collective increase.
Quote:"[O]ur great gentleman and my friend, from Australia ... you have better healthcare than we do," Trump added, turning toward Turnbull.

So does most of the civilized world, you dumb fuck.
(May 4, 2017 at 10:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: When we were on the marketplace plan, we paid $450 a month for two people, our deductible was $2000, but doctor visits were $30 and even x-rays we got at the doctors didn't cost too much.

That isn't a subsidized price, right? If so, I would be all over that if I could.

My insurance through my employer (not an ACA plan) costs me $281 for myself and son. My employer claims to subsidize about 2-3x that. My deductibles just got jacked 20% to 6000 individual / 12000 family in-network, with up to (the last) $5000 reimbursed by my employer.. I have no copays. I pay 100% until my deductible is met. Everything is effectively pre-tax dollars though, which matters quite a lot.

That is the *good* plan of the two they offer for my personal situation, though I am evaluating options.
(May 4, 2017 at 10:49 pm)scoobysnack Wrote:
(May 4, 2017 at 10:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: How much are their copays?

I can't answer the questions about the other people I know because I don't know their details. From what they have said it's taking too much away from their disposable income to feel they can go to the doctor for regular checkups, and only do the emergencies.

My deductible increased from 1000 to 5000 this year and that's through a major corporation I work for. Lost the plan I had and we had to transfer to the new one. I have not even signed up for a doctor yet, but need to. My visits increased to $35 or something not all that sure. Just really pay $120 every month and hope for the best. Granted that's a small amount but I'm not on ACA. Our costs increased because the pool increased and it's a collective increase.

Your friends make no sense. They cannot afford a $35 a year copay (or hell, let's say it's $50), but are prepared to put themselves in debt in an emergency?

Doctor visits can help prevent the need to go to the emergency room.
(May 4, 2017 at 11:21 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 4, 2017 at 10:49 pm)scoobysnack Wrote: I can't answer the questions about the other people I know because I don't know their details. From what they have said it's taking too much away from their disposable income to feel they can go to the doctor for regular checkups, and only do the emergencies.

Your friends make no sense. They cannot afford a $35 a year copay (or hell, let's say it's $50), but are prepared to put themselves in debt in an emergency?

Doctor visits can help prevent the need to go to the emergency room.

To be fair they are just people I've met and talked about this, not really my friends, so i don't know their personal details.

Well that's the thing with young healthy people. They don't go to the doctor because they think they are invincible. That's the reason they were made to pay for health insurance ironically to help offset those who were old and sick. They are not in the habit of going to the doctor for regular checkups, they are now just required to pay way more then they did before. It's been that way for generations which is why the government needed to bring them in collectively to offset the costs of the elderly.

Ironically the biggest Bernie Sanders supporters who constantly texts me either don't have health care and get paid under the table with cash and don't pay the fine, or just pay the fine and don't have health care. Not saying you are a Bernie supporter, but just thought it was interesting because these people always tell me everyone needs to pay for health insurance, when they don't themselves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So about the Voice to Parliament (Australia) GrandizerII 7 973 October 7, 2023 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Scott Morrison: Australia PM faces backlash over 'blessed' disability remark Duty 11 772 April 22, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: GUBU
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5342 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1055 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Disability and Universal Healthcare BrokenQuill92 49 2937 January 3, 2020 at 1:53 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Universal basic income in the future Aegon 63 11362 September 24, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36884 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  A Stupid Statements About Single Payer Healthcare Amarok 43 6787 December 1, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Amarok
Shocked Do you think Trump will be arrested or kicked out of the White House soon? WinterHold 32 3733 July 25, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: John V
  One Less Cunt In The White House Minimalist 0 362 June 5, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist