Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:43 pm

Poll: Is Trump going too far in explicitly looking into gutting the First Amendment?
This poll is closed.
Yes. This is inexcusable.
42.86%
3 42.86%
No. This is what the country needs now.
0%
0 0%
You're surprised that he's doing this?
42.86%
3 42.86%
Blueberry Muffins
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump's White House "Looked into" the gutting of the First Amendment.
Trump's White House "Looked into" the gutting of the First Amendment.
I understand this may seem like I'm exaggerating, but here's a video of Jonathan Karl interviewing Trump's Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, and start at 12:40 at this video, Priebus says something disturbing (yeah, I know, how shocking that the Trump team says something disturbing):

Transcription of the relevant section:

KARL: So I want to move on, before you go, we have a segment coming up with Ann Coulter and Robert Reich. Of course, there's a big controversy at Berkeley over freedom of speech. I want to ask you about two things the president has said on related issues. First of all, there was what he said about opening up the libel laws, Tweeting, "The failing "New York Times" has disgraced the media world, gotten me wrong for two solid years. Change the libel laws." That would require, as I understand it, a constitutional amendment. Is he really going to pursue that? Is that something he wants to pursue?
PRIEBUS: I think it's something that we've looked at and how that gets executed or whether that goes anywhere is a different story. But when you have articles out there that have no basis or fact and we're sitting here on 24-7 cable companies writing stories about constant contacts with Russia and all these other matters that (INAUDIBLE)...
KARL: Do you think the president should be...
PRIEBUS: -- no basis at all...
KARL: -- to sue "The New York Times."..
PRIEBUS: I think that...
KARL: -- for stories he doesn't like?
PRIEBUS: Here's what I think. I think that newspapers and news agencies need to be more responsible with how they report the news. I am so tired...
KARL: I don't think anybody would disagree with that. It's about...
PRIEBUS: But everyone...
KARL: -- whether or not the president should have a right to sue them.
PRIEBUS: And I already answered the question. I said this is something that is being looked at. But it's something that as far as how it gets executed, where we go with it, that's another issue.

Any thoughts?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Trump's White House "Looked into" the gutting of the First Amendment.
He did talk about doing this before. Sure it's wrong, but he either doesn't care, or is too stupid to know you shouldn't restrict free speech. As long as people aren't making direct threats of violence, or encouraging others to do so, they should be able to say what they want.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

WoW !!!

More concordance with the SJW and center/left Dems !!!

Absolute hurricane of bipartisan COMITY !!!

yea TEAM USA !!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I hated the hissy fit thrown by students at Berkeley about Ann Coulter's talk - and that of other controversial speakers. These -whatever they are- need to grow a skin and get over the fact that some speakers have things to say they disagree with. Maybe as a species we just aren't and never will be as bright as we'd like us to be?
Any constitutional amendment would require 2/3 "yea" votes in both the house and the senate, and that isn't a quorum requirement that can be changed except by another constitutional amendment.

So I'd put the chances of Trump being able to pass such an amendment at 0%.
(May 10, 2017 at 12:04 am)Tiberius Wrote: Any constitutional amendment would require 2/3 "yea" votes in both the house and the senate, and that isn't a quorum requirement that can be changed except by another constitutional amendment.

So I'd put the chances of Trump being able to pass such an amendment at 0%.
I reckon so, but it's still fucking terrifying that someone this high up in the White House hierarchy would admit he was working on something this reprehensible this openly, even if there was little chance of it working.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I note Hustler v. Falwell was decided 8-0.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 10, 2017 at 12:10 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I note Hustler v. Falwell was decided 8-0.

Yeah but the supreme court can be overruled by a constitutional amendment.
(May 9, 2017 at 9:05 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: WoW !!!

More concordance with the SJW and center/left Dems !!!

Absolute hurricane of bipartisan COMITY !!!

yea TEAM USA !!!!

The point ...

... you.

(May 10, 2017 at 12:17 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 10, 2017 at 12:10 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I note Hustler v. Falwell was decided 8-0.

Yeah but the supreme court can be overruled by a constitutional amendment.

Correct, but as you yourself mentioned - the chances of getting that sort of amendment through the process is zero, particularly in the extremely divisive environment of today's politics. Hell, *anything* controversial in the slightest ain't happening.

The only other option would be a Constitutional Convention, and I think nobody wants to see that happen.

P.S. Congratulations, Tibs - a lot of Americans don't know those details of checks and balances. You been studying for the citizenship exam?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House Bill 6720 Jehanne 19 2521 December 16, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  That pro white thread. TheClearCleanStuff 161 21401 May 5, 2022 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 3901 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down USS JFK turned into razor blades onlinebiker 30 1651 October 8, 2021 at 4:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  More from the self intitled white anti maskers. Brian37 57 2662 April 21, 2021 at 2:27 pm
  Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am. WinterHold 26 966 January 15, 2021 at 6:24 am
  More entitled white woman problems. brewer 62 2745 December 30, 2020 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Aristocatt
  Your Villain Is Served - Middle Aged White Man Duty 15 1101 December 27, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Burning down the House Brian37 12 1157 December 11, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Turkey's Erdogan orders the conversion of Hagia Sophia back into a mosque AniKoferBo 91 2553 July 15, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Little lunch