Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USS JFK turned into razor blades
Thumbs Down 
USS JFK turned into razor blades
The Kennedy and the Kitty Hawk are being scrapped.

Sad

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-sells...ch-2021-10

My cousin was a BT1 ( boiler tender first class) aboard JFK while we were both in the service. I had an outstanding invite to visit when they made port - but Big John was an east coast boat and I was on the west.

Pity... I would have loved to see the radioroom on that puppy...
RE: USS JFK turned into razor blades
A penny each!? What's that all about? I guess remediation of all the HAZMAT on board kind of drives the recycling cost up.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(October 7, 2021 at 11:46 am)Fireball Wrote: A penny each!? What's that all about? I guess remediation of all the HAZMAT on board kind of drives the recycling cost up.

It explains it in the story.  Kind of amazing that these ships can't continue service with some upgrades, but then I don't know much about ships.

I wonder if they plan to create any memorabilia from the material for sale to the public.  I think that might be a profitable venture.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
Yah - they used tons of asbestos....

Cousin has mesothelioma...  Sad

Of course the 2 pack a day habit had NOTHING to do with it.....

Uh huh....
(October 7, 2021 at 11:56 am)Spongebob Wrote:
(October 7, 2021 at 11:46 am)Fireball Wrote: A penny each!? What's that all about? I guess remediation of all the HAZMAT on board kind of drives the recycling cost up.

It explains it in the story.  Kind of amazing that these ships can't continue service with some upgrades, but then I don't know much about ships.

I wonder if they plan to create any memorabilia from the material for sale to the public.  I think that might be a profitable venture.

I don't know. If there was funding for turning them into floating museums, one could argue that.

On my first trip to Australia a few years back, I went to the back of the plane and noticed it had ashtrays. HOLY F! Smoking on passenger jets was widely banned in the mid 90s and early 2000s. I was thinking, "How old is this plane?" I was thinking, "Who is the pilot, Lindbergh?"
(October 7, 2021 at 12:05 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Yah - they used tons of asbestos....

Uh huh....

Smoking is not a risk factor for mesothelioma.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 7, 2021 at 12:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 7, 2021 at 12:05 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Yah - they used tons of asbestos....

Uh huh....

Boru
Combined with asbestos smoking increases the risk of Mesothelioma.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(October 7, 2021 at 1:07 pm)Helios Wrote:
(October 7, 2021 at 12:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Smoking is not a risk factor for mesothelioma.

Boru
Combined with asbestos smoking increases the risk of Mesothelioma.

Potato, potahto.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 7, 2021 at 11:56 am)Spongebob Wrote:

That's as far as I got in the story, because it started whining about my adblocker, so I closed out that window.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(October 7, 2021 at 12:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Uh huh....

Boru

I didn't know you worked for RJ Reynolds

Razz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turkey's Erdogan orders the conversion of Hagia Sophia back into a mosque AniKoferBo 91 2556 July 15, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  The USS Theodore Roosevelt Prof.Lunaphiles 39 1894 April 21, 2020 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump Turns G-7 into a Reality Show Jehanne 136 15311 June 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Conservatards Sliding Farther Into The Sewer Minimalist 5 429 May 31, 2018 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Train Carrying GOP Members Crashes Into Trash Truck A Theist 40 5632 February 1, 2018 at 6:43 am
Last Post: A Theist
  TCJA: Apple repatriating cash and pumping it into US economy John V 36 4218 January 19, 2018 at 9:13 am
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  ICE completes transformation into American Gestapo. The Grand Nudger 32 4137 January 10, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  A Veteran Sickened by Trump at USS Arizona AFTT47 4 1046 November 4, 2017 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  North Korea launches ballistic missile across northern Japan, falls into sea Alex K 45 11136 August 30, 2017 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  We may not be going into WW3 with Russia over Syria after all. Chad32 39 11613 July 16, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist