Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are more American Atheists than we thought
There are more American Atheists than we thought
Quote:The authors of the study, published earlier this year, adopted a novel way to measure atheist identity. Instead of asking about belief in God directly, they provided a list of seemingly innocuous statements and then asked: “How many of these statements are true of you?” Respondents in a control group were given a list of nine statements, such as “I own a dog” and “I am a vegetarian.” The test group received all the same statements plus one that read, “I do not believe in God.” The totals from the test group were then compared to those from the control group, allowing researchers to estimate the number of people who identify as atheists without requiring any of the respondents to directly state that they don’t believe in God.1 The study concludes that roughly one-quarter (26 percent) of Americans likely do not believe in God.
538 article

I think this article makes a lot of great points.  

First, the way we poll about religion tends to be very binary.  Do you believe in God or not?  A lot of people may believe in spiritual energy, or an utterly impersonal god, and they will answer yes.  

Second, atheists are still very marginalized, and many are still closeted.  So if people hide their atheism from close family and friends, how likely are they to admit it to a stranger?  I know a number of people who say things like "I don't believe in god, but I'm not an atheist".  Dodgy

So it is difficult to accurately measure the number of people who believe in a personal creator God, some variant in the middle that is NOT a personal creator God, and those who are full materialists.  Clearly atheist can be spiritual.  

I've also often seen religious folks quote the big number, like "well 89% of American believe in God!", but this is in fact false, because they mean a creator god when they quote that number, but quite a large chunk of the people who answered yes don't mean a creator god.

Anyway, I just found the study interesting and wanted to share.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: There are more American Atheists than we thought
Well every theist is a non-believer in 99% of the gods ever invented.... so from that perspective the atheists are the majority
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 18, 2017 at 5:33 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Well every theist is a non-believer in 99% of the gods ever invented.... so from that perspective the atheists are the majority

More than 99%. I heard there are ~30,000,000 gods with names that we know of. Each Roman household had the option of creating their own god to watch over the house.
(May 18, 2017 at 5:44 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(May 18, 2017 at 5:33 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Well every theist is a non-believer in 99% of the gods ever invented.... so from that perspective the atheists are the majority

More than 99%. I heard there are ~30,000,000 gods with names that we know of. Each Roman household had the option of creating their own god to watch over the house.

umm, which particular human has a pointless enough life to remember that many names? I have a hard enough time keeping track of my own extended family Tongue Besides, I am pretty sure at least 50% of those are just copy/paste of the remaining 50%
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(May 18, 2017 at 5:44 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: More than 99%. I heard there are ~30,000,000 gods with names that we know of. Each Roman household had the option of creating their own god to watch over the house.

umm, which particular human has a pointless enough life to remember that many names? I have a hard enough time keeping track of my own extended family Tongue Besides, I am pretty sure at least 50% of those are just copy/paste of the remaining 50%

"pretty sure" when you don't know for sure. 

And who said anything about remembering all those names, please.
What!?!?!?! I not unique anymore. SHIT! OK, I quit.

Now I have to find something else to not believe in.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

From that perspective 100% of people are atheists.
(May 18, 2017 at 7:02 pm)Hammy Wrote:

From that perspective 100% of people are atheists.

Well, not quite, unless you count deists as atheists. They somehow seem capable of imagining all contradictory beliefs as true at the same time.
- Lau Tzu

The study is flawed. From what I've read, America is a Christian nation. Ever since Jesus sailed to the New World from Spain, subdued the heathen Indians, built the Transcontinental Railroad, won the gunfight at the OK Corral, and invented the Apple Watch, NO ONE in America has been an atheist. So there.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 18, 2017 at 7:07 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(May 18, 2017 at 7:02 pm)Hammy Wrote: From that perspective 100% of people are atheists.

Well, not quite, unless you count deists as atheists. They somehow seem capable of imagining all contradictory beliefs as true at the same time.

No... I mean 100% of people are atheists in the sense you suggested.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1002 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 962 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Honestly, I hate the thought of god, zeus and jesus Apex1050 22 2508 July 10, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 2879 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4078 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4408 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists are emotionally stronger than theists Alexmahone 92 13201 June 21, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2177 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14155 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1294 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4