Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, what are you reading there?
Hey, what are you reading there?
I'm interested in what everybody likes reading. And once in a while I would love to find something that could be worthwhile for my next reading endeavor. So let me know.

Apart from some plays I'm reading, I'm currently invested in two books.

"Ik heb geen vijanden, ik ken geen haat." (Trans: 'I have no enemies, I know no hate'.) It's a collection of writings and poems from Nobel-prize winner Liu Xiaobo who is currently serving a sentence in prison in China for co-making the charter 08. It's one of the first non-fiction books I'm reading. It's a tough go, especially if you don't know a lot about the history of communist China. But it's interesting. While I'd never recommend going through it in one go, as it's not even made for that, I would suggest it.

Second book I'm currently reading is "Jurrassic Park". I found it in a drift-shop in Dutch a few years ago for a euro and a half and decided to pick it up. Finally started reading it. Seeing as it's a translation, my vision on the original might be askewed, but so far I'm preferring the movie. (Which is rare as it's usually the other way around.) Reading it just makes me want to see it all the more. (I didn't even know the film was based on a book.) But it is a good read and I can see why someone who read the book would've had enough faith in the story and message to turn it into a film. It's not that it's a bad book. It's just that it's a classic film.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
RE: Hey, what are you reading there?
(May 29, 2017 at 10:05 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: I'm interested in what everybody likes reading. And once in a while I would love to find something that could be worthwhile for my next reading endeavor. So let me know.

Apart from some plays I'm reading, I'm currently invested in two books.

"Ik heb geen vijanden, ik ken geen haat." (Trans: 'I have no enemies, I know no hate'.) It's a collection of writings and poems from Nobel-prize winner Liu Xiaobo who is currently serving a sentence in prison in China for co-making the charter 08. It's one of the first non-fiction books I'm reading. It's a tough go, especially if you don't know a lot about the history of communist China. But it's interesting. While I'd never recommend going through it in one go, as it's not even made for that, I would suggest it.

Second book I'm currently reading is "Jurrassic Park". I found it in a drift-shop in Dutch a few years ago for a euro and a half and decided to pick it up. Finally started reading it. Seeing as it's a translation, my vision on the original might be askewed, but so far I'm preferring the movie. (Which is rare as it's usually the other way around.) Reading it just makes me want to see it all the more. (I didn't even know the film was based on a book.) But it is a good read and I can see why someone who read the book would've had enough faith in the story and message to turn it into a film. It's not that it's a bad book. It's just that it's a classic film.

I like mystery/suspense/legal/detective fiction, layman science, atheist, biography, humour.

Save

Save
Save
Right now: "The invention of Nature"

[Image: 51yoOC%2BZcdL._SY400_.jpg]

As a German I probably have more familiarity with all those intellectual figures of 18th century Germany than the intended audience, but I still find it very inspiring.
When I'm not reading that, I'm trying to read some philosophy as well as some physics (I always have J.S. Bell's "Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics" on my night stand, which is THE collection of papers to read if you want to understand how hidden variables and locality in physics work).
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Gosh, Alex - for someone who was 'born evil', you have pretty eclectic tastes. Big Grin

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Goblin Quest by Jim C. Hines.
Dying to live, living to die.
I have not read anything in a while.

The last book I read was Anne Rice's Prince Lestat.

My favorite authors are Anne Rice and Dean Koontz.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
My attention span is horrible. But I do like Sarah Vowell and Sam Harris. Part of me, even at 41, wants to reread stuff I was assigned in high school but failed to read or read all that well. Salinger, etc.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are you reading? arewethereyet 146 8274 April 6, 2024 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If you were reading...... Foxaèr 4 413 January 29, 2024 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Reading order for the Duneverse? Gawdzilla Sama 6 657 June 20, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  HEY HO LETS GO!!!!!!! Brian37 14 711 November 26, 2020 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Losty
  So I'm finally reading a work by Lovecraft GrandizerII 18 2176 October 15, 2019 at 5:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I tried watching and reading Peanuts Der/die AtheistIn 5 439 April 3, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Anyone else reading the Neapolitan Quartet by Elena Ferrante? Whateverist 0 321 September 21, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What are you reading? BrokenQuill92 12 1648 August 23, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  What book(s) are you reading right now? Handprint 22 3811 September 4, 2015 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheist Reading Material lezbehonest 30 5135 August 1, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam