Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Shakespeare Contribute to the King James Bible?
Did Shakespeare Contribute to the King James Bible?
It’s possible that the King James Bible is actually the King James by Bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_46#S...nvolvement
Quote: Shakespeare was in King James' service during the preparation of the King James Bible, and was generally considered to be 46 years old in 1611 when the translation was completed.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Did Shakespeare Contribute to the King James Bible?
(June 5, 2017 at 10:23 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: It’s possible that the King James Bible is actually the King James by Bill.

Quote: Shakespeare was in King James' service during the preparation of the King James Bible, and was generally considered to be 46 years old in 1611 when the translation was completed.

The question would have to be asked whether or not the KJV backs into the original Hebrew and Aramaic texts. As far as I know, it does mostly back in. The key differences are translation errors introduced in the KJV to artificially (and quite deliberately) paint jesus into the Hebrew bible.

If there are additional psalms in the Christian texts, then maybe. Or maybe Shakespeare assisted with the shoddy translation.
We actually know the names of the men on the committee who wrote up the KJV.

http://www.christianity.com/church/churc...30052.html

Quote:Consider how preposterous it was to have a team of elite scholars writing for a largely illiterate public. We can only stand back in amazement at their achievement. Think how ludicrous the translation mandate was. It called for a product commissioned to reinforce a clear-cut royal political agenda, to be done by elite scholarly committees, reviewed by a self-serving bureaucracy, with ultimate approval reserved to an absolutist monarch. The final product was intended primarily for public and popular consumption. It was to be read orally -- intended more to be heard in public than to be read in private. How many works of literary genius do you recall that were done by committee?

Yeah... the divine right of kings.  You know, one of those "xtian values" that America was allegedly founded upon!
(June 5, 2017 at 10:23 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: It’s possible that the King James Bible is actually the King James by Bill.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/psa/...onc_524007

there is only one problem with the shakespear/psalms 46 fake fact theory....

selah denotes a pause in music not the word spear. not even pronounced 'spear.'

Pronounced S'eh-leh.
(June 5, 2017 at 11:37 am)Aliza Wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_46#S...involement

The question would have to be asked whether or not the KJV backs into the original Hebrew and Aramaic texts. As far as I know, it does mostly back in. The key differences are translation errors introduced in the KJV to artificially (and quite deliberately) paint jesus into the Hebrew bible.

If there are additional psalms in the Christian texts, then maybe. Or maybe Shakespeare assisted with the shoddy translation.

There was a lot of stuff added into the KJV, most of it there to justify James VI & I's claims to having a divine right to rule without recourse to parliament, and to limit puritan and calvinist (or Knoxian) influences on the coe. They went so far as to use an older version of English that hadn't been spoken for over a hundered years by the reign of James VI & I in order to lend the version an aura of age and authenticity.

Earlier versions such as the unfinished Tyndale bible, or Henry VIII's great bible, or the bishop's bible, were more accurate translations, for all that's worth given the fact the bible we know today was largely written between 200CE and 325CE with major additions subsequent (like inserting the resurrection into Matthew to make it agree with the later written gospels).

Edit: I always get a kick out of American religitards coming on here extolling the KJV, seeing as it extolled a political principle their ancestors may have rebelled against.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Not Dripshit.  He'd have been a Tory fighting for God and Country.
Also, looking at the Geneva Bible, the words "Shake" and "Spear" are in the same position, and that was published in 1560, a full four years before Shakespeare was born.

Besides, this plan doesn't seem to fit with what I know of Shakespeare. For one thing, when he hid little tidbits like that, they were usually references to things like genitalia and sex (Country Matters, anyone?) I don't think I can remember him making reference to his own name in any of his plays. Also, there's a lot of discussion about Shakespeare's religious views, but, as is common with Shakespeare, there isn't a lot of disagreement, but given how he A) repeatedly showed a preference for allusions to mythology to Christianity (which appears to be a combination of constraint by the theatrical censors and him really not being that devout), and B) may have had some Catholic sympathies, it's not terribly likely King James would have considered Shakespeare for it even if he was proficient in Greek and Hebrew enough to translate (which there's no evidence he was).
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(June 5, 2017 at 11:37 am)Aliza Wrote:

The question would have to be asked whether or not the KJV backs into the original Hebrew and Aramaic texts. As far as I know, it does mostly back it.

Where can I find the original Hebrew and Aramaic texts?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
You can't.  The originals seem to have been in Greek.  At least, fragments of the 3d century BC Greek Septuagint are the earliest written pieces of bible bullshit we have.
I knew that. oSmile
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44079 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2143 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Elder James Hamula released, excommunicated from LDS Church c172 11 6660 August 10, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2160 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11233 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Did "james son of zebedee" ever meet Paul the Apostle? Coreni 6 4405 June 25, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7437 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Dr. King, Argument from Authority Neo-Scholastic 45 10752 January 22, 2015 at 5:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jesus should have been a king. Chad32 58 16817 May 19, 2014 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Did jeebus tell the bible belt to come up with giving daughters balls?? Brakeman 23 6743 March 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Tonus