Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dr. King, Argument from Authority
Dr. King, Argument from Authority
Just a quote from Dr. King...

Quote:And I’m here to tell you today that we need God. (Yes) Modern man may know a great deal, but his knowledge does not eliminate God. (Right) And I tell you this morning that God is here to stay. A few theologians are trying to say that God is dead. And I’ve been asking them about it because it disturbs me to know that God died and I didn’t have a chance to attend the funeral. They haven’t been able to tell me yet the date of his death. They haven’t been able to tell me yet who the coroner was that pronounced him dead. (Preach, preach) They haven’t been able to tell me yet where he’s buried.

You see, when I think about God, I know his name. He said somewhere, back in the Old Testament, “I want you to go out, Moses, and tell them ‘I Am’ sent you.” (That’s right) He said just to make it clear, let them know that “my last name is the same as my first, ‘I Am that I Am.’ Make that clear. I Am.” And God is the only being in the universe that can say “I Am” and put a period behind it. Each of us sitting here has to say, “I am because of my parents; I am because of certain environmental conditions; I am because of certain hereditary circumstances; I am because of God.” But God is the only being that can just say, “I Am” and stop right there. “I Am that I Am.” And He’s here to stay. Let nobody make us feel that we don’t need God.

So next time an atheist recounts all the bad things men and women of faith have done in the name of God, just think of Dr. King and the great things he accomplished in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
RE: Dr. King, Argument from Authority
He did not accomplish anything due to a fictional character. Instead, he invoked the name as though it had any actual authority.

Anything he accomplished was by his own right, his own mind, and not any imaginary deity.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 19, 2015 at 10:37 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: So next time an atheist recounts all the bad things men and women of faith have done in the name of God, just think of Dr. King and the great things he accomplished in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

People have done bad things in the name of faith. King did some good things in that name. Kinda suggests that the thing doesn't have all that much to do with it huh? It's the conception of that thing that appears to matter. Good conception, good things. Bad conception, bad things.

Better to rely on real good things rather than imaginary ones that can be manipulated into good or bad things.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(January 19, 2015 at 10:37 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Just a quote from Dr. King...

Quote:And I’m here to tell you today that we need God. (Yes) Modern man may know a great deal, but his knowledge does not eliminate God. (Right) And I tell you this morning that God is here to stay. A few theologians are trying to say that God is dead. And I’ve been asking them about it because it disturbs me to know that God died and I didn’t have a chance to attend the funeral. They haven’t been able to tell me yet the date of his death. They haven’t been able to tell me yet who the coroner was that pronounced him dead. (Preach, preach) They haven’t been able to tell me yet where he’s buried.

You see, when I think about God, I know his name. He said somewhere, back in the Old Testament, “I want you to go out, Moses, and tell them ‘I Am’ sent you.” (That’s right) He said just to make it clear, let them know that “my last name is the same as my first, ‘I Am that I Am.’ Make that clear. I Am.” And God is the only being in the universe that can say “I Am” and put a period behind it. Each of us sitting here has to say, “I am because of my parents; I am because of certain environmental conditions; I am because of certain hereditary circumstances; I am because of God.” But God is the only being that can just say, “I Am” and stop right there. “I Am that I Am.” And He’s here to stay. Let nobody make us feel that we don’t need God.

So next time an atheist recounts all the bad things men and women of faith have done in the name of God, just think of Dr. King and the great things he accomplished in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Did he also do all his boozing and womanizing in the name of your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(January 19, 2015 at 10:39 pm)Sionnach Wrote: He did not accomplish anything due to a fictional character. Instead, he invoked the name as though it had any actual authority.

Anything he accomplished was by his own right, his own mind, and not any imaginary deity.

Sooo. Your saying Dr. king was fictional?

(January 19, 2015 at 11:00 pm)Chas Wrote:
(January 19, 2015 at 10:37 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Just a quote from Dr. King...

Did he also do all his boozing and womanizing in the name of your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

You re not from around here huh?
(January 19, 2015 at 11:01 pm)Drich Wrote: Sooo. Your saying Dr. king was fictional?

Hone your reading comprehension skills and you will not be asking stupid questions.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 19, 2015 at 11:01 pm)Drich Wrote:
(January 19, 2015 at 11:00 pm)Chas Wrote: Did he also do all his boozing and womanizing in the name of your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

You re not from around here huh?

I am, but I wonder what the weather is like on your planet.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(January 19, 2015 at 10:37 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: So next time an atheist recounts all the bad things men and women of faith have done in the name of God, just think of Dr. King and the great things he accomplished in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I do. I also think of how Jim Crow, and the chattel slavery which preceded it, the many and horrible crimes against humanity that Dr. King gave his life to end, and which persist to this day, are also great things accomplished in the name of your lard and savior Jesus Christ. So said many of the people who tried their hardest to oppose civil rights... and still do.
(January 19, 2015 at 11:18 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote:

I do. I also think of how Jim Crow, and the chattel slavery which preceded it, the many and horrible crimes against humanity that Dr. King gave his life to end, and which persist to this day, are also great things accomplished in the name of your lard and savior Jesus Christ. So said many of the people who tried their hardest to oppose civil rights... and still do.

Sad part the people who do things that are against human rights think they are doing the right thing. Good and bad are just two world views. One help others the other only helps those and harms others. Given if it were possible people would go back to the old days of slavery fairly quickly given if there was a person who had enough power to make it happen.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
King famously had serious doubts about religion but, hey. In this fucked up country you use any tool you can.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Shakespeare Contribute to the King James Bible? Rhondazvous 12 5587 June 25, 2017 at 6:09 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The Canonical Gospels Have No Authority FallentoReason 35 4205 January 15, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Jesus should have been a king. Chad32 58 16787 May 19, 2014 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Hitchens Essay on King James Bible. 5thHorseman 4 3443 January 3, 2012 at 1:55 am
Last Post: LarissaAnn