Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did "james son of zebedee" ever meet Paul the Apostle?
Did "james son of zebedee" ever meet Paul the Apostle?
I have a feeling Paul the Apostle christian sect won the big football match of early christian sects. I know that Acts of the Apostles is a forgery, and he is mentioned once in 1 Corinthians 15:7. But its not in terms of having met him, but just something that happens in terms of gospel stories. So i have doubts if Paul ever met the guy.

But just wondering what you guys think?
RE: Did "james son of zebedee" ever meet Paul the Apostle?
(June 25, 2015 at 5:04 am)Coreni Wrote: I have a feeling Paul the Apostle christian sect won the big football match of early christian sects. I know that Acts of the Apostles is a forgery,

How do you know this?

Quote:and he is mentioned once in 1 Corinthians 15:7.

No, the James of this verse is the "brother of the Lord" - technically one of Jesus' cousins since Mary was ever-virgin. This appearance of Jesus to James led to his conversion, and he later became the Bishop of Jerusalem overseeing the Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15.

James the brother of John and son of Zebedee (aka, a "son of thunder"), was martyred by King Herod when the persecution against the Christians broke out in Jerusalem.

Acts 12:1-3
It was about this time that King Herod arrested some who belonged to the church, intending to persecute them. 2 He had James, the brother of John, put to death with the sword.

Quote:But its not in terms of having met him, but just something that happens in terms of gospel stories. So i have doubts if Paul ever met the guy.

S/Paul may have heard James, brother of John, preach in the Temple or another location in the city before the persecution scattered the Apostles. At the very least, he probably saw him around town. There is another possibility based on the following passage:

John 18:15-17
15 Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus. Because this disciple was known to the high priest, he went with Jesus into the high priest’s courtyard, 16 but Peter had to wait outside at the door. The other disciple, who was known to the high priest, came back, spoke to the servant girl on duty there and brought Peter in.

The "other disciple" is John, the brother of James. Ask yourself, how did this country bumpkin, John, a fisherman from Galilee, know the High Priest? Well, when the priests of Israel were not serving in their rotation in the Temple, they went home. John (and James) may have been either related to the High Priest or simply known to him as a neighbor.

So, how does this connect S/Paul to James? Well, S/Paul was a student of the greatest rabbi of the day, Gamaliel, and S/Paul would have been in and around the Temple environs regularly during the years when he was studying there. Is it possible then that S/Paul met James and John when they, too, were in the Temple for any number of feasts?

Quote: But just wondering what you guys think?

Why would such a meeting be of interest?
It's always nice when you see the Christians playing along with each other on these forums. Kind of like seeing your kids mingling in the sandpit with the other children.
Did Mickey Mouse ever meet Donald Duck?

There are plenty of examples of fictional characters meeting each other.

[Image: Poster-Abbott-and-Costello-Meet-the-Invi...Man_02.jpg]
(June 25, 2015 at 12:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Did Mickey Mouse ever meet Donald Duck?

I think there's sufficient evidence on film that we know for sure this happened on multiple occasions.
Ever-virgin?!? Now that's worth blowing up for! I'm guessing the hymen is permeable or something, but lets not think too hard about that.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(June 25, 2015 at 12:30 pm)Exian Wrote: Ever-virgin?!? Now that's worth blowing up for!  I'm guessing the hymen is permeable or something, but lets not think too hard about that.

Catholics and Orthodox both have it as a Theological doctrine that Mary's Hymen never broke. I swear, this is an actual doctrine set in stone that will get you booted out of the faith as a heretic if you disagree.

How did she give birth? They don't know, but Catholics know because she is the "immaculate conception" (i.e: She's the only human other than Jesus to be born without sin or to never commit one) she didn't feel the pain of childbirth (a punishment for sin) either.

Maybe he teleported out? Maybe he could walk through walls? Maybe he got dropped into the manger by a passing stork? They don't claim to know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6520 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4076 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7315 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4407 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Paul's Writings Underpin Western Thought SteveII 232 17426 August 6, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dating Paul's Writings JairCrawford 33 3010 July 30, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Paul's "persecution" of the early Christians? Jehanne 134 14915 February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Better terminology for "Father and Son" ? vorlon13 258 60337 October 13, 2017 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Elder James Hamula released, excommunicated from LDS Church c172 11 6668 August 10, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did Shakespeare Contribute to the King James Bible? Rhondazvous 12 5595 June 25, 2017 at 6:09 am
Last Post: Brian37