Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on the protests
Your thoughts on the protests
So, there are a lot of protests going on. Some of the less reputable news agencies are calling them riots, claiming they are burning cars and breaking windows, but I see no video evidence of that.  Major news, even Fox, just reports peaceful protests which do include burning effigies and also the flag, marching and chanting.
I'm glad it is staying peacful.

Are you in a blue state that is declaring him "Not my President"?

With all the calls for reconciliation, from Hillary, from Obama, etc, are they disrespecting our great nation, or standing up for it?

vigils and protests
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Your thoughts on the protests
Seattle, Richmond, Chicago, San Diego. Kind of scary to see so many occur in one day. 1 life threatening gunshot injury (5 total) in the Seattle protest. 

I don't really have the mobility to join the protest up at UCSD. Might just be students and teachers, anyway. But I do respect those that are legitimately participating, and not just cutting school/work.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
There's a large protest going on right next to my house on Rt. 66 (and a really noisy helicopter hovering right over me). I think the protests are ridiculously dumb at this point since all they will do is raise the tension that is already through the roof. This one at least is not at all violent, but it still isn't helping anything. I was trying to go on a walk to calm my own anxiety and everything around me just made it worse.
There is no longer even any illusion of any great nation to stand up for.   What they are standing up for is the right to not be as thoroughly and conspicuously debased as the nation they were by circumstances born into.
(November 10, 2016 at 12:10 am)c172 Wrote: Seattle, Richmond, Chicago, San Diego. Kind of scary to see so many occur in one day. 1 life threatening gunshot injury (5 total) in the Seattle protest. 

I don't really have the mobility to join the protest up at UCSD. Might just be students and teachers, anyway. But I do respect those that are legitimately participating, and not just cutting school/work.

Edited to correct:

A gunman opened fire in downtown Seattle on Wednesday night following an argument and wounded five people, one man critically, not far from protests over the surprise victory of Republican Donald Trump in the U.S. presidential election.

The shooting did not appear to be related to the anti-Trump demonstrations but instead stemmed from “some type of personal argument”, Robert Merner, assistant chief of the Seattle Police Department, told reporters.
Both.  We disrespect ourselves by peacefully transitioning, but we have no legitimate choice other than to do so.  The job now, I suppose, is to help Trump and his supporters self destruct. Encourage a random act of racism every day Aroura.

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 10, 2016 at 12:11 am)Jesster Wrote: There's a large protest going on right next to my house on Rt. 66 (and a really noisy helicopter hovering right over me). I think the protests are ridiculously dumb at this point since all they will do is raise the tension that is already through the roof. This one at least is not at all violent, but it still isn't helping anything. I was trying to go on a walk to calm my own anxiety and everything around me just made it worse.

I was thinking the same thing.  Yet I still sympathize.

They needed to mobilize BEFORE election day. Day late and dollar short now.
(November 10, 2016 at 12:05 am)Aroura Wrote: So, there are a lot of protests going on. Some of the less reputable news agencies are calling them riots, claiming they are burning cars and breaking windows, but I see no video evidence of that.  Major news, even Fox, just reports peaceful protests which do include burning effigies and also the flag, marching and chanting.

With all the calls for reconciliation, from Hillary, from Obama, etc, are they disrespecting our great nation, or standing up for it?

vigils and protests

Ugg.  Civility was supposed to be what separated the two camps.  Oh well.
Ah, OK. I was watching a live news feed for a little while, but they didn't make that clear. Also didn't know anyone had died. 

Still, tons of raw emotion out there, and while I respect it, it's hard to be around it at times. Watching Survivor.

ETA: Ninjaed.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(November 10, 2016 at 12:15 am)Whateverist Wrote:
(November 10, 2016 at 12:05 am)Aroura Wrote: So, there are a lot of protests going on. Some of the less reputable news agencies are calling them riots, claiming they are burning cars and breaking windows, but I see no video evidence of that.  Major news, even Fox, just reports peaceful protests which do include burning effigies and also the flag, marching and chanting.

vigils and protests

Ugg.  Civility was supposed to be what separated the two camps.  Oh well.

They aren't being Uncivil Whatevs.  No rioting.  Just peaceful protests.
If they WERE burning cars and breaking windows, I'd be appalled.  But in 9 major cities and many smaller ones these are happening, and all have remained peaceful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More fun thoughts onlinebiker 40 3759 August 7, 2019 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  In regards to the anthem protests and the NFL's new policy GODZILLA 21 1852 May 31, 2018 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  NFL owners admit Trump pressured them into banning player protests Foxaèr 27 2832 May 24, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What are your thoughts on this story? NuclearEnergy 6 1500 June 24, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What's your thoughts on Trump? Zenith 239 29588 March 27, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My thoughts on modern day intersectionalist feminism] Lebneni Murtad 14 3646 March 7, 2017 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Rioters Beware! Keep Your Protests Peacful A Theist 88 22434 February 18, 2017 at 7:53 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Hillary Clinton and the DNC, My Thoughts Mechaghostman2 1 753 July 31, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Donald Trump and the RNC, My Thoughts Mechaghostman2 45 5443 July 26, 2016 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  What are your thoughts on Congress defunding Planned Parenthood GoHalos1993 51 8207 December 8, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus