Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glad to hear church wasn't the reason
Glad to hear church wasn't the reason
When hearing an account of deconversion I have heard some atheists say that they are glad to hear that "I had a bad experience at church or was mistreated by Christians" as NOT being the reason for someone leaving the faith. Why would they be glad to hear that wasn't the reason?
RE: Glad to hear church wasn't the reason
(October 7, 2010 at 10:51 am)Sherry Wrote: I have heard some atheists say that they are glad to hear that "I had a bad experience at church or was mistreated by Christians" as not being the reason for leaving the faith. Why would they be glad to hear that wasn't the reason?

Because that doesn't touch the real reason why it is a disgrace for an educated adult to chose to be a Christian in the age of science and reason. It is as if one believes 2 and 2 makes 4 merely because one had a bad experience trying to fit in with the 2 and 2 makes 3 crowd, and not because one has devleoped any appreciation of the testable arithmetic principle.
(October 7, 2010 at 10:55 am)Chuck Wrote:
(October 7, 2010 at 10:51 am)Sherry Wrote: I have heard some atheists say that they are glad to hear that "I had a bad experience at church or was mistreated by Christians" as not being the reason for leaving the faith. Why would they be glad to hear that wasn't the reason?

Because that doesn't strike at the heart of why it is a disgrace for an educated adult to chose to be a Christian in the age of science and reason.

I think you misunderstood the question, I was referring to testimonies of DECONVERSION.
Perhaps increased familiarity with what they converted to enabled them to find it was inappropriate to have converted in the first place?
So what would make testimonies of deconversion that does not indicate they left because they were hurt by the church make the testimony more acceptable?
Testimonies and private reasons fir decisions are what they are.
(October 7, 2010 at 10:51 am)Sherry Wrote: Why would they be glad to hear that wasn't the reason?

Probably because then the reason for deconversion is just an emotional response, not a rational reasoning.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(October 7, 2010 at 11:22 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
(October 7, 2010 at 10:51 am)Sherry Wrote: Why would they be glad to hear that wasn't the reason?

Probably because then the reason for deconversion is just an emotional response, not a rational reasoning.

Sounds good. Deconversion because of getting hurt by the church would seem to dimish the validity of becoming an atheist at least for that person. Rationality should be the reason, if any, rather than anger.
Plus, I personally would rather not hear of a friend deconverting because of emotional or physical abuse by someone in their Church, if you want to take mistreatment to that level. I include the "you're going to hell" statements made in some of the fundamentalist and Baptist churches I've come across. Horrible thing to tell a person.

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(October 7, 2010 at 11:26 am)Sherry Wrote:
(October 7, 2010 at 11:22 am)leo-rcc Wrote:

Sounds good. Deconversion because of getting hurt by the church would seem to dimish the validity of becoming an atheist at least for that person. Rationality should be the reason, if any, rather than anger.

None of the christian churches i've had any contacts with would be so particular if that was given as the reason for conversion rather than deconversion. At the very least the church would grasp at the perceived opening. In fact reasons just like this were video taped with glee for later dissemination as "testimonial".

(October 7, 2010 at 11:31 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Plus, I personally would rather not hear of a friend deconverting because of emotional or physical abuse by someone in their Church, if you want to take mistreatment to that level. I include the "you're going to hell" statements made in some of the fundamentalist and Baptist churches I've come across. Horrible thing to tell a person.
Well, not so horrible. I would rather go to hell than disseminate the uninformed tattle of fundamentalism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Wasn't Me ABQ505 22 2015 April 20, 2022 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1241 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Hey, Nobody Said It WASN'T True YahwehIsTheWay 17 2607 December 5, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4791 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 15196 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6186 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4156 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5558 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things Rhondazvous 37 7018 October 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  In Case You Need A Reason To Despise Baptist Scum-suckers Minimalist 93 9256 July 1, 2016 at 11:35 pm