Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things
There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things
A devout Christian woman heard from her ex whom she hasn’t seen in decades. He convinced her that they are mature now and he is not the same person he was before. He still loved her and she still loved him. This meant moving out of state to go live with his family. They’d have a farm and he’d buy her a horse.

Well, she prayed and asked for god’s direction and he told her yes she should go with his blessing and providence.
Wasn’t out there for but a few months when his family started abusing her. He underwent surgery that took his leg so he could not protect her. With the help of her daughter from yet another state she got out of there with her life. She believes they were planning to kill her. She lost all her possessions, but thanks god she came out alive and that’s what’s important.

Recently, the husband and the other man who was abusing her died and she is sure that was god’s retribution. Shocked, I asked her if she had actually prayed for god to kill them and she said yes.

If god knew the men were bad and wanted to kill them, he could have done so without telling her to go out there and be abused.

This whole think of praying for god’s direction then thanking him for damage control when things go awry is just the theists’ way of justifying acting against their better judgment then refusing to take responsibility for their bad decisions. If Christians knew what effect their testimonies have on me, they would just shut up.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things
(October 5, 2016 at 5:42 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: A devout Christian woman heard from her ex whom she hasn’t seen in decades. He convinced her that they are mature now and he is not the same person he was before. He still loved her and she still loved him.  This meant moving out of state to go live with his family. They’d have a farm and he’d buy her a horse.

Well, she prayed and asked for god’s direction and he told her yes she should go with his blessing and providence.
Wasn’t out there for but a few months when his family started abusing her. He underwent surgery that took his leg so he could not protect her. With the help of her daughter from yet another state she got out of there with her life. She believes they were planning to kill her. She lost all her possessions, but thanks god she came out alive and that’s what’s important.

Recently, the husband and the other man who was abusing her died and she is sure that was god’s retribution.  Shocked, I asked her if she had actually prayed for god to kill them and she said yes.

If god knew the men were bad and wanted to kill them, he could have done so without telling her to go out there and be abused.

This whole think of praying for god’s direction then thanking him for damage control when things go awry is just the theists’ way of justifying acting against their better judgment then refusing to take responsibility for their bad decisions. If Christians knew what effect their testimonies have on me, they would just shut up.

ok, it's a good story

But atheists do stupid things, too.
Is there a reason for it?
Or atheists do stupid things without a reason?
I took the story in the OP as an illustration of people hearing what they want to hear. That churches might foster more of it per capita than, for example, this site does, isn't much of a mental leap for me.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

In all fairness, doing stupid things is not a trait unique to Christians. For example, I know atheists who buy lottery numbers. Stupid atheists.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 5, 2016 at 5:42 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: A devout Christian woman heard from her ex whom she hasn’t seen in decades. He convinced her that they are mature now and he is not the same person he was before. He still loved her and she still loved him.  This meant moving out of state to go live with his family. They’d have a farm and he’d buy her a horse.

Recently, the husband and the other man who was abusing her died and she is sure that was god’s retribution.  Shocked, I asked her if she had actually prayed for god to kill them and she said yes.

did she get the horse?
I'm surprised she didn't try to pin it on the devil. "Oh, I was mislead by the Devil, but thankfully God saved me!"
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Can't argue with you on this one.
Quote: Well, she prayed and asked for god’s direction and he told her yes she should go with his blessing and providence.

"God" is notoriously full of shit.
One thing I don't get--even when I was a believer, I near really heard God speak to me. I mean I never even thought he did. Yet I hear Christians say this all the time. I'm guessing that it's whatever their instincts is telling them to do, and they assume it's God (when it works) or the devil (when it doesn't).
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
They do whatever the fuck they wanted to do.  "God" is just an excuse.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1758 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12945 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1655 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2192 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 4745 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7782 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7208 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17494 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4717 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3913 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician