Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cecil the Lion's son Xanda killed by American Trophy Hunter
Cecil the Lion's son Xanda killed by American Trophy Hunter
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/anim...03fb6c8f2d

What do feckless hunters get out of killing a Lion?  A sense of accomplishment?  What accomplishment is there?  It's not exactly as if they fought off a Lion with their bear hands.  They're using weapons to kill an animal that they're not planning on eating.

Imagine if there were a Lion Donald Trump.  (He's already got the mane, and he's got the lyin part down too) He might say "America... they're not sending their best.  They're sending their trophy hunters.  Their careless dentists.  And some, I assume are good people.  We need to build a wall!" (That fence sadly didn't help poor Cecil)

Of course there is no Lion Donald Trump (and honestly it's good that there isn't, because the world can barely handle one of him), and there's nobody that's going to do anything to stop the next impotent person from going over there and killing yet another of these majestic creatures.

"Oh, but hunters donate lot's of money to conservation!" they say.  Sure, some of that money goes toward conservation (though only 2-3% I think).  But by killing a Lion, you also put the other lions in their pride at risk from attack.  Male Lions  do NOT generally want to raise another Lions' cubs.  They want to start their own families.  So it's not just one license, one lion.  It's one license, one dead adult lion -- and potentially many more.

For some reason just seeing these creatures aren't enough for some people.  They have to be able to kill them.  Unfortunately that means future generations may not get to see them.  At least not in anything other than books and movies.  Lions are currently considered a vulnerable species.  And there are many other species that are vulnerable or endangered that are hurt by trophy hunting and especially by poaching.  The only shooting that should be done to these animals are with a camera.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: Cecil the Lion's son Xanda killed by American Trophy Hunter
Compensation for their tiny dicks.
Bwana Dick
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

We should take a lesson from The Most Dangerous Game and start hunting humans who think its fun to hunt and kill animals.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
For me, it's not about what the lion hunters get out of it. It's about what the lions get out of it. Conservancies that protect lions often depend on the revenue from legal hunting to maintain their operations.

As a practical matter, rich people who want to hunt lions legally pay through the nose to be allowed to kill lions targeted for culling by conservancies anyway. Hunters finance conservancies so well that they often suffer from lion overpopulation, which is not sustainable.

The main enemy of lions in Africa is loss of habitat, not hunters. The legal hunting model where hunters pay exorbitant fees to be allowed to hunt is limited by available room for the lions, not over-hunting.

Thank goodness for rich people with small dicks! They're the best friends a protected population of lions has.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(July 21, 2017 at 10:06 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: For me, it's not about what the lion hunters get out of it. It's about what the lions get out of it. Conservancies that protect lions often depend on the revenue from legal hunting to maintain their operations.

As a practical matter, rich people who want to hunt lions legally pay through the nose to be allowed to kill lions targeted for culling by conservancies anyway. Hunters finance conservancies so well that they often suffer from lion overpopulation, which is not sustainable.

The main enemy of lions in Africa is loss of habitat, not hunters. The legal hunting model where hunters pay exorbitant fees to be allowed to hunt is limited by available room for the lions, not over-hunting.

Thank goodness for rich people with small dicks! They're the best friends a protected population of lions has.

This is what I was going to say.  People often conflate 'conservation' with 'making sure every single animal of a species survives.'   You don't need a ton of adult male lions around to keep the species at a healthy state, especially if a male is sick, ultra-aggressive, or infertile.  As rough as it sounds, superfluous lions get shot, easing pressure on prey animals, preventing conflict and infanticide within the pride and paying for the park rangers who protect the lions from poachers.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
And what about people that have the need to wear cloths from endangered animals? Like Jay-Z wearing Nike shoes made of elephant skin.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I feel there's a perverse economic incentive at play here and that some people here are ignoring it. Perverse economic incentives never turn out well. Financing your park with hunting older specimens, for example, requires you raise more than you may be able to safely care for in hopes of winning a periodic pay out.

Furthermore, big game hunting was a key contributor to several species decline. Using it, even tangentially, invites much of the poor social and political decisions that led to the need to halt said hunting and establish supposed wildlife parks.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I am certainly no fan of trophy hunting. But some stories are saying this particular lion went outside the protected reserve. As much as I DO think we SHOULD protect endangered species, still kinda hard to ask a family to pick between their kids and a wild animal.

Point being, if I have a kid, and I live in Florida, and a gator is threatening my kid, no polite way to put it, I would shoot the gator.

Now, don't get me wrong, if it is proven this lion was killed for no good reason other than sport, I agree. But my current understanding is this particular individual was outside the reserve when shot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Indian-American Nikki Haley: Plan to Counter the China Threat. Nishant Xavier 46 2602 August 6, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  George Carlin American Dream vannymanny 6 517 June 29, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Motorcade for local marine killed in the evacuation happened today brewer 1 258 September 10, 2021 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Nine family members killed in US airstrike in Kabul targeting suspected ISIS-K bomber WinterHold 16 1039 August 31, 2021 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  US troops and Afghans killed in suicide attacks outside Kabul airport WinterHold 3 566 August 26, 2021 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Accused Kidnapper killed in Truck Accident onlinebiker 1 277 June 27, 2021 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] American Congress member speaks about Israeli terrorism against Palestinians WinterHold 5 366 May 14, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Saudi journalist killed and hacked inside Saudi embassy in Istanbul WinterHold 333 26069 January 16, 2021 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Iran's top nuke scientist killed. Brian37 18 940 November 28, 2020 at 1:53 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Now the GOP trots out dirt on Hunter Biden onlinebiker 89 5479 October 21, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama