Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 1:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statler Waldorf introduction.
Statler Waldorf introduction.
Hello all,

No my real name is not Statler Waldorf. I always choose that name becuase I think they are two of the greatest characters of all time.

I moved over here because the Forum I used to "live" at (thoughts.com) got shifted to version 3.0 and now it is no longer any fun.

I am a Reformed Christian who enjoys to talk with Atheists because they are usually quite adamant about their beliefs and are always willing to "tango".

I have a degree in Science and currently work for the US Government in that field. I spent time as a Math and Science Teacher at the high school level. I also taught a debate course. I hold a very strict definition of what Science is and what it is not.

I try my best to be civil on these boards, but I do not tolerate personal attacks, no matter which person is the object of the attack. My experience is that boards such as this can be very "clicky" and sometimes will have a "mob rules" flare to them- so I hope we can keep the personal attacks to a minimum.

I do hold a very strict literal interpretation of Scripture because I feel it is the most consistant position. I am well aware of the fact that I am greatly out numbered on here, but I will never apologize for my beliefs and will always do my best to back my position. I expect the same of others.

I have a huge passion for sports (Running and the NFL) and music. I have played metal guitar for over 11 years and will always enjoy a good music discussion.

Overall, I think I am a good guy who is just here to learn more about my position and the position of others.

Thanks!
RE: Statler Waldorf introduction.
Hmm... an unapoligetic reformed christian who holds a literal interpretation of the bible who teaches math and science.

... This makes me worry about the school where you teach.
No offense, but a literalist interpretation of the bible and practically all forms of science seem irreconcilable.

Are you also a young-earth creationist?
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Hi and welcome.

Nice to hear you're willingly to learn. If your signature is an accurate depiction of your current understanding of atheism, and not just you being satirical, then I'd say you've got your work cut out for you.
(October 13, 2010 at 2:48 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: Hmm... an unapoligetic reformed christian who holds a literal interpretation of the bible who teaches math and science.

... This makes me worry about the school where you teach.
No offense, but a literalist interpretation of the bible and practically all forms of science seem irreconcilable.

Are you also a young-earth creationist?

I don't teach right now, I work for Uncle Sam. Actually my classes did very well on their stadardized testing. I do not ascribe to the belief that you cannot be Religious and a Scientist (Naturalism). Some of the greatest Scientists the World has known were literal Bible believers. Yup, i am young-earth. Nice to meet you.

(October 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Hi and welcome.

Nice to hear you're willingly to learn. If your signature is an accurate depiction of your current understanding of atheism, and not just you being satirical, then I'd say you've got your work cut out for you.

It's more just poking fun. Just as I assume "TheDarkestAngel"'s Signature is not his real understanding of Christian Theology right?

A young earther? Oh goodness. I have to admit that I'm predisposed to completely and utterly disagree with you. Welcome, nonetheless.

As for the insults thing, we don't tolerate that here. That goes for everyone, including yourself. You may find it helpful to read the Information for Theists area in the forum rules. That way you can get an idea of where you can tread as far as your beliefs are concerned and how best to discuss them with atheists.
(October 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm)Shell B Wrote: A young earther? Oh goodness. I have to admit that I'm predisposed to completely and utterly disagree with you. Welcome, nonetheless.

As for the insults thing, we don't tolerate that here. That goes for everyone, including yourself. You may find it helpful to read the Information for Theists area in the forum rules. That way you can get an idea of where you can tread as far as your beliefs are concerned and how best to discuss them with atheists.

Are there rules for Atheists regarding their interactions with Theists? You don't have to agree with the Young Earth position, I think it rocks (pun intended) though! :-)

(October 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: Are there rules for Atheists regarding their interactions with Theists?

Yes, there are. They aren't specifically aimed at atheist and theist interaction, but they tend to come in handy.

(October 13, 2010 at 3:03 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: I don't teach right now, I work for Uncle Sam. Actually my classes did very well on their stadardized testing. I do not ascribe to the belief that you cannot be Religious and a Scientist (Naturalism). Some of the greatest Scientists the World has known were literal Bible believers. Yup, i am young-earth. Nice to meet you.
You're absolutely correct - you can be a scientist and religious at the same time - at least with scientific disciplines that don't contradict the bible - particularly as a young-earth creationist leaves many, many sciences in conflict with that worldview.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Some of the greatest scientists the world has ever known were also believers in alchemy, but that doesn't mean alchemy is true. What you will find is that the greatest scientists after Darwin made his discovery are the ones who accepted the evidence of evolution; not the ones who decided that if scientific findings go against the Bible, the findings must be wrong. Scientists should have no bias against findings. A good scientist is someone who can hold a deeply held belief for the majority of their life, only to have it shattered at the end but still be able to accept they were wrong.

Most Young Earth Creationists I've met have a problem with that. They cannot get over their deeply held beliefs, despite the amount of evidence that goes against them.

From your signature:
Quote:Atheism- The belief that in the beginning there was nothing, and then nothing happened to nothing for no reason which exploded into everything.

I challenge you to find one atheist who actually believes that. I am also very skeptical of your "science" credentials if you honestly think that is an accurate description of The Big Bang.
(October 13, 2010 at 3:15 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote:
(October 13, 2010 at 3:03 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: I don't teach right now, I work for Uncle Sam. Actually my classes did very well on their stadardized testing. I do not ascribe to the belief that you cannot be Religious and a Scientist (Naturalism). Some of the greatest Scientists the World has known were literal Bible believers. Yup, i am young-earth. Nice to meet you.
You're absolutely correct - you can be a scientist and religious at the same time - at least with scientific disciplines that don't contradict the bible - particularly as a young-earth creationist leaves many, many sciences in conflict with that worldview.

Nah I disagree. There are lots of young Earth guys doing good work in the fields of Biology and Geology. Evidence is interpreted using a Worldview, there is no real evidence that conflicts with the Biblical view of Creation because evidence itself doesn't say anything. I feel the Biblical view of Creation is the most consistant view when all the evidence is taken into consideration.

(October 13, 2010 at 3:17 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Some of the greatest scientists the world has ever known were also believers in alchemy, but that doesn't mean alchemy is true. What you will find is that the greatest scientists after Darwin made his discovery are the ones who accepted the evidence of evolution; not the ones who decided that if scientific findings go against the Bible, the findings must be wrong. Scientists should have no bias against findings. A good scientist is someone who can hold a deeply held belief for the majority of their life, only to have it shattered at the end but still be able to accept they were wrong.

Most Young Earth Creationists I've met have a problem with that. They cannot get over their deeply held beliefs, despite the amount of evidence that goes against them.

From your signature:
Quote:Atheism- The belief that in the beginning there was nothing, and then nothing happened to nothing for no reason which exploded into everything.

I challenge you to find one atheist who actually believes that. I am also very skeptical of your "science" credentials if you honestly think that is an accurate description of The Big Bang.

You mean like Dr. Dean Kenyon who was a Chemical Evolutionists for decades but now admits his beliefs were in error and is part of the ID movement? Or does this only apply when they agree with you? :-) There have been lots of Creation Scientists who have lived since Darwin who have done good Science, just like there have been lots of non-believers who have done bad Science. I feel your post is a mischaracterization of the facts.

As for my Signature, it's humor man. Just like a lot of these anti-Christian signatures are supposed to be humorous even though they mischaracterize the true teachings of Chrstianity. My Science credentials are sound.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 745 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 975 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1957 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1434 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 4088 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2282 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 2011 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1170 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 990 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2928 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2