Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the slippery "F" word - my solution
the slippery "F" word - my solution
One of the most time-consuming and frustrating things a theist can do is say something like "you have faith that the sun will rise up tomorrow - thus even you have faith, so how can you be critical of my faith in god" - while it's possible to go into dictionary definitions of the multiple way the word can be used or go the route that one has no faith at all in anything in the believe without evidence meaning of the word, what I have found is that it is best de-obfuscated by dissecting the F word into something a computer might understand:

Faith, Belief Definition:
An assertion that assertion A matches reality with X degree of probability with Z as evidence

One can use the above, for both the sun rising up and theistic faith:

faith that chair won't break when you sit on it:
An assertion that "faith that chair won't break when you sit on it" matches reality with "99,9%" degree of probability with "a life led where chairs have been observed to break very infrequently when one sits on them" as evidence

Theistic:
Assertion that "God, the afterlife exist" matches reality with 100% of probability with "the bible, personal feelings" as evidence
(this can then probably lead to the debate as to why the bible is good evidence - if they say faith return to the above formula once more)

hope this helps someone...
Have you found Jesus? If so read "the god dillusion"
RE: the slippery "F" word - my solution
With no proof whatsoever, people believe in God. That’s fact. They actually believe they can have a one way conversation with an unseen god and that , through some kind of magical telepathy, hears every word they say. Why aren't these people in an Insane Asylum?
(October 17, 2010 at 3:23 pm)rob_hollar Wrote: With no proof whatsoever, people believe in God. That’s fact. They actually believe they can have a one way conversation with an unseen god and that , through some kind of magical telepathy, hears every word they say. Why aren't these people in an Insane Asylum?
cause then the insane asylum would be 90% of the world. the atheists might as well move to the moon or to a city of marvels in the middle of the ocean where only great minds come and that will subsequently sink and be a place of adventure

If a person admits to having no proof for his belief that's fine - one can then discuss why he chooses to do so. If they play the faith card you can talk about how believing something with no evidence is a BAD thing - if they try to imply that you also have faith use the argument in the original post.
(October 17, 2010 at 3:23 pm)rob_hollar Wrote: With no proof whatsoever, people believe in God. That’s fact. They actually believe they can have a one way conversation with an unseen god and that , through some kind of magical telepathy, hears every word they say. Why aren't these people in an Insane Asylum?

They're not because literal religious belief is not yet considered a form of insanity. It may never be. After all, the U.S. Constitution protects it. I personally don't think it's so much insanity so much as it is the effects of brainwashing. Brainwashing is treatable, but most people don't want to admit to having been brainwashed. And I think most people would have a hard time putting most of their relatives in an Insane Asylum. Probably over half the country would be in one.
(October 17, 2010 at 3:29 pm)Amethyst Wrote:

They're not because literal religious belief is not yet considered a form of insanity. It may never be. After all, the U.S. Constitution protects it. I personally don't think it's so much insanity so much as it is the effects of brainwashing. Brainwashing is treatable, but most people don't want to admit to having been brainwashed. And I think most people would have a hard time putting most of their relatives in an Insane Asylum. Probably over half the country would be in one.

not half but about 90% of the US. As for calling it brainwashing - I wouldn't quite agree, since when we talk about brainwashing this implies a party who is "sane" feeding the other one false information on purpose, and, while I'm sure there are secretly-atheistic priests most of the time I think the parents/priests/community probably believe it themselves. But if you want to include those people as well then what about just a few hundred years ago when basically everyone was a theist and there were no alternatives in society? what about tribes with no contact with the outside world- are their views about the world brainwashing, or or perhaps more simply they don't know any better? And perhaps we have some facts about the nature of the universe wrong that might be corrected in the next decades or hundreds of years - that would then also have to be included.

I think it's better to use the Meme and idea-organism analogies to describe what is happening.
"cause then the insane asylum would be 90% of the world. the atheists might as well move to the moon or to a city of marvels in the middle of the ocean where only great minds come and that will subsequently sink and be a place of adventure"

That would be the greatest place to live. Just imagine all the scientific advancements that would come of it, in all fields, especially that of medicine.
“Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."
(October 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm)Hollenfeuer Wrote: "cause then the insane asylum would be 90% of the world. the atheists might as well move to the moon or to a city of marvels in the middle of the ocean where only great minds come and that will subsequently sink and be a place of adventure"

That would be the greatest place to live. Just imagine all the scientific advancements that would come of it, in all fields, especially that of medicine.

yeah one can only imagine...
[Image: dawkinsutopia.jpg]
Faith is, simply put, a belief in something for which there is no proof. To believe that sitting in a chair will not result in the chair breaking is not a matter of faith. It is a matter of life experience that most chairs don't break when you sit in them. Likewise, believing that when you release a ball from your hand, that it will drop to the ground is also not a matter of faith, since there is plenty of empirical evidence that it will behave in this manner.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Actually, Hume's Problem of Induction says that we can't infer from past experience that the world will act in the same way as it did before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction

Still, this doesn't justify believing in blatant nonsense like religion.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
(October 17, 2010 at 4:37 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: Actually, Hume's Problem of Induction says that we can't infer from past experience that the world will act in the same way as it did before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction

Still, this doesn't justify believing in blatant nonsense like religion.

ahh, but I circumvent that by also specifying the degree of probability- me saying "all chairs never break when you sit on em" is wrong, but saying "chairs won't break when you sit of em" with 99,9% (approx - one would need to do a LOT of practical tests to determine the true percentage) - so this is still valid

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3644 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  A problem with the word "atheist" Alexmahone 144 20325 February 8, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2045 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  why is there even a word to describe non believers? ticktaka 26 5845 April 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: ticktaka
  why is 'god damn' a bad word? leodeo 8 5621 February 9, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: KUSA
Tongue Looking for a word to describe someone who is not a theist. Ideas? Whateverist 18 8181 November 27, 2013 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  God is a curse word, isn't it? Magnum 30 7697 July 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone