Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why is there even a word to describe non believers?
why is there even a word to describe non believers?
People that don't believe in religious bull shit are sane and rational. They are in touch with reality and live harmonious joyous lives. This is most ideal life anyone can wish for. So why is there a word such as atheism to describe us sane, rational people? The word atheism implies an extreme position in the spectrum of beliefs. However, it is the most rational and sane life that anyone can hope for. It is ultimately the most joyous life that one lead which is free from delusions marked by irrational, bullshit beliefs. it is not in an extreme position. Furthermore sane, rational people like you and I don't need bull shit religion to lead morally sound lives. It does bother me a little that atheism implies an extreme position. Also, theists may think they are providing rational arguments for the existence of God but they are nothing more than vague arguments that often use bullshit beliefs as the basis of argumentation. At the same time, I realize that although religious beliefs are bull shit, it is nevertheless a part of human nature to believe in bull shit like religion, but that does not mean that atheism should be viewed as an extreme position because it is rational, sane, and realistic. I think ultimately evolution will eliminate religion from society Tongue what are you opinions?
RE: why is there even a word to describe non believers?
(April 17, 2014 at 11:35 am)ticktaka Wrote: People that don't believe in religious bull shit are sane and rational. They are in touch with reality and live harmonious joyous lives. This is most ideal life anyone can wish for. So why is there a word such as atheism to describe us sane, rational people? The word atheism implies an extreme position in the spectrum of beliefs. However, it is the most rational and sane life that anyone can hope for. It is ultimately the most joyous life that one lead which is free from delusions marked by irrational, bullshit beliefs. it is not in an extreme position. Furthermore sane, rational people like you and I don't need bull shit religion to lead morally sound lives. It does bother me a little that atheism implies an extreme position. Also, theists may think they are providing rational arguments for the existence of God but they are nothing more than vague arguments that often use bullshit beliefs as the basis of argumentation. At the same time, I realize that although religious beliefs are bull shit, it is nevertheless a part of human nature to believe in bull shit like religion, but that does not mean that atheism should be viewed as an extreme position because it is rational, sane, and realistic. I think ultimately evolution will eliminate religion from society Tongue what are you opinions?

Atheism only implies one thing. A(without)-theism(belief in god). That's it. How 'bout an Intro Thread?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Quote: People that don't believe in religious bull shit are sane and rational. They are in touch with reality and live harmonious joyous lives. 

Angel Cloud BullshitAngel Cloud
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Yeah, let's leave the glaring generalities for the theist crowd.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Evoluyion is doing a piss-poor job of eliminating idiots from the gene pool. In fact, they seem to breed in significant numbers. In order to get rid of religion you need to get rid of stupidity and I don't see any indication of that happening.

Welcome, btw.
Why do you think "the word atheism implies an extreme position in the spectrum of beliefs"? The word simply means lack of/without belief in god(s). Given the lack of compelling evidence for the existence of any gods, how can the default position be extreme?
We're human.
We have this bizarre need to qualify, quantify, and label every single frickin thing we run across. :p
Atheism - Oxford Dictionary

Quote:Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Origin

late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'.

That's all that the word means.

Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of deities doesn't automatically mean that all atheists are sane and rational. For example, you don't have to believe in deities to believe in alien abductions. Atheists can suffer from mental illnesses, too.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
There is a word that describes unexpected diarrhea caused by eating off fish AND peaches or a succession of farts in a short period.

My point.

There are all sorts of words for things and Having a word for someone who does not believe in gods is more convenient than saying I do not believe in gods everytime.

It also sounds a bit less like being a douche for a theist to say "I hate that atheist" than to say " I hate that person who doesn't believe the same thing I do"

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 17, 2014 at 11:47 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:
Quote: People that don't believe in religious bull shit are sane and rational. They are in touch with reality and live harmonious joyous lives. 

Angel Cloud BullshitAngel Cloud

Most atheists are sane and rational Tongue Wink

Quote:Evoluyion is doing a piss-poor job of eliminating idiots from the gene pool. In fact, they seem to breed in significant numbers. In order to get rid of religion you need to get rid of stupidity and I don't see any indication of that happening.

Welcome, btw.

I agree. Perhaps we should conduct selective breeding with humans lol that would raise a sworn of protests from people that are very moral philosophical Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3084 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1824 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Sincere and peaceful believers are tough people purplepurpose 4 1060 September 27, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1453 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2853 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3007 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3401 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  No Financial Inclusion Today! No Financial Inclusion Tomarrah! Or For Eternity, Even mascale 21 2097 August 12, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3651 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Why are there barely any teens on AF? DodosAreDead 22 3372 July 26, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist