Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God is a curse word, isn't it?
God is a curse word, isn't it?
What is really implied or intended by believers when they try and speak to atheists or even other religions when they use the word God?

Christians, for example, mostly try and say you're doomed, cursed or evil if you don't accept their God concept.

Christians are also known for telling others not to use words they don't like such as fuck, piss, etc. They call it curse words.

Thing is that this 'God' word they so like to use must be the ultimate curse word, isn't it?

Maybe it's Jesus?
Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell
RE: God is a curse word, isn't it?
I use "god" frequently when annoyed or frustrated. This has sparked much debate between my husband and I as to it's standing as a curse word. I contend that it's not as I don't believe in god, it's just another word to use that has the added benefit of pissing off the religious. He contends it is as I acknowledge a good portion of the public would consider it a curse. We're still undecided on whether using the word "god" is a curse or not, however, he does concede it is better than simply saying "fuck" all the time. Although in conjunction, it's a fine curse, example, "god-fucking, damnit!"
I read somewhere once a theory that religion is simply a by-product of humans trying to come to grips with the power of language.

Words have power. Curse words are from back when humanity thought they had real, magical power.

And we call the bible the WORD of God. God spoke and everything came to exist.

It's just humanity dealing with how incredible language is.

Not sure if that's true. But it's somewhat interesting.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
"Jesus fucking christ on a crutch" usually does wonders for their blood pressure, too.
As an atheist I don't believe in magical powers so even if I use the word God or Jesus as an expression of emotion I don't believe something magical happens. On the other hand Christians or Muslims will use the name God, Jesus, Allah or Mohamed with a smile on their faces expressing that so-called love or piety and actually believe that they are fucking you to hell for eternity if you don't succumb to their evangelical enticements.

So for the Christian, God is certainly a curse word with magical powers.
Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell
I think it's funny that on TV when someone says "god dammit" they'll bleep out "god" but not "dammit." The funny thing is that Christians claim that this is just more Christian persecution since "they" are just trying to remove God from everything but leaving the evil curse word "dammit." When in reality that TV networks know that if they leave in the whole "god dammit" then they'll get swamped by calls from Christians about not censoring people taking the lord's name in vain.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Any word used incorrectly is a curse word. Funny how there are a lot start with g and j to avoid the blaspheming ones. Those two we're my faves.
(July 16, 2013 at 1:17 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Any word used incorrectly is a curse word. Funny how there are a lot start with g and j to avoid the blaspheming ones. Those two we're my faves.

Use the word "funny" as a curse. I'm interested to see this.
Stop being an annoying little funny or I'll kick the funny right out of your funny funny, funny.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(July 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm)Tonus Wrote: Stop being an annoying little funny or I'll kick the funny right out of your funny funny, funny.

Yeah. Not working too well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 6884 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3519 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3662 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  A problem with the word "atheist" Alexmahone 144 20375 February 8, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 6758 January 21, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2050 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Why the bible ISN'T evidence. Socratic Meth Head 34 7764 April 11, 2016 at 12:57 am
Last Post: an0nemus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3255 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  That's pretty important isn’t it because if awaralarki 8 3203 August 8, 2015 at 8:07 am
Last Post: c172
  why is there even a word to describe non believers? ticktaka 26 5852 April 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: ticktaka