Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fear
Fear
No matter what religious believer I talk to or watch lectures the same core trend is present - a belief in theory that after we die we become participants in ultimate horror movie or hell for refusing to submit to Gods will. Most hardcore believers just say it bluntly "Submit to Gods will or prepair to suffer". And they say "we bring good news"...
RE: Fear
It's the ultimate cognitive dissonance that doesn't involve denial of scientific reality. Instead, it denies the reality that a good god could not possibly conceive of a hell dimension of any sort for any reason, yet they'll harp on about how lovely and merciful this motherfucker is.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
Fundamentalist teachings on hell owe more to Dante's Inferno than to scripture, but it's a popular incentive to belief (or maybe more exactly, against unbelief). It backfires on fundamentalists because it tends to select the vulnerable, fearful, and guilt-able. That's good for retention, bad for healthy interpersonal relations and good decision-making. It doesn't produce responsible leadership material for running their churches.

They don't see the cognitive dissonance because the only way you wouldn't get out of jail free in their mind is to deliberately turn down a free offer. That is exactly how it was presented to me at the tender age of 5 years and 10 months, and it made sense to my not-yet-six-year-old brain. What I was overlooking is that while, as presented, it's free in the sense you don't have to earn it by being good or something, you have to earn it by acknowledging you're wrong and the doctrines are correct, despite that they make zero sense and are entirely unsubstantiated. So all you're giving up is your intellectual integrity, which is the closest thing you have to a soul.

The other thing you're giving up in the freedom to discover a valid, working epistemology to live by. What you get instead is the failed epistemology of religious faith, which does not lead in the general direction of what passes for truth, and neither explains nor predicts experienced outcomes.
Of course it's a scare tactic.

In the end their "arguments" inevitably devolve into, "You're going to hell!"
Dying to live, living to die.
Fear! A great punk rock band in the '80's.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(September 5, 2017 at 8:32 pm)mordant Wrote: Fundamentalist teachings on hell owe more to Dante's Inferno than to scripture, but it's a popular incentive to belief (or maybe more exactly, against unbelief). It backfires on fundamentalists because it tends to select the vulnerable, fearful, and guilt-able. That's good for retention, bad for healthy interpersonal relations and good decision-making. It doesn't produce responsible leadership material for running their churches.

They don't see the cognitive dissonance because the only way you wouldn't get out of jail free in their mind is to deliberately turn down a free offer. That is exactly how it was presented to me at the tender age of 5 years and 10 months, and it made sense to my not-yet-six-year-old brain. What I was overlooking is that while, as presented, it's free in the sense you don't have to earn it by being good or something, you have to earn it by acknowledging you're wrong and the doctrines are correct, despite that they make zero sense and are entirely unsubstantiated. So all you're giving up is your intellectual integrity, which is the closest thing you have to a soul.

The other thing you're giving up in the freedom to discover a valid, working epistemology to live by. What you get instead is the failed epistemology of religious faith, which does not lead in the general direction of what passes for truth, and neither explains nor predicts experienced outcomes.

This is why the whole idea of 'freedom of religion' is such a fucking paradox. You're not 'free', your minds are being forcefully warped by parents and community to believe it and to condition you that you want it and to defend it from being attacked or threatened or taken away. So unless you're just genuinely that damn stupid and don't require any indoctrination whatsoever to come to the conclusion that a religious belief is rational or justifiable, you're not practicing religious freedom, you're ignoring the fact that you're a slave.

Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
Mmm... Billie Piper....
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
LOL, fascinating how religion doesn't really try to use sex as an enticement to join, they might be more effective at recruiting those who weren't brainwashed to begin with.

---

(September 5, 2017 at 8:48 pm)Astonished Wrote:
(September 5, 2017 at 8:32 pm)mordant Wrote: The other thing you're giving up in the freedom to discover a valid, working epistemology to live by. What you get instead is the failed epistemology of religious faith, which does not lead in the general direction of what passes for truth, and neither explains nor predicts experienced outcomes.

This is why the whole idea of 'freedom of religion' is such a fucking paradox. You're not 'free', your minds are being forcefully warped by parents and community to believe it and to condition you that you want it and to defend it from being attacked or threatened or taken away. So unless you're just genuinely that damn stupid and don't require any indoctrination whatsoever to come to the conclusion that a religious belief is rational or justifiable, you're not practicing religious freedom, you're ignoring the fact that you're a slave.
I hear you, but don't see it as a paradox because what is meant by "religious freedom" is (in theory) the freedom to choose any (ir)religion you wish. Although of course in practice it's the "freedom" to choose THEIR religion as opposed to all the incorrect ones (or that most incorrect of all, no religion).

It is the conceit of fundamentalists that the ONLY reason people don't choose their Truth is because they are deceived by Satan and his minions, sometimes willingly. Time and again their heads explode when presented with the stark fact that people simply DO NOT BELIEVE their fantastical, unsubstantiated and unsubstantiatable claims, and do not find the failed epistemology of religious faith effective at predicting or explaining experienced reality. In short, there are many GOOD reasons NOT to believe, it is not simply a matter or ignorance or obstinance or the desire to be libertines. A fundamentalist will only admit for consideration, bad or duplicitous reasons not to believe. And they will only consider unbelievers to be bad AND duplicitous.
(September 6, 2017 at 11:13 am)mordant Wrote:
(September 5, 2017 at 8:48 pm)Astonished Wrote: This is why the whole idea of 'freedom of religion' is such a fucking paradox. You're not 'free', your minds are being forcefully warped by parents and community to believe it and to condition you that you want it and to defend it from being attacked or threatened or taken away. So unless you're just genuinely that damn stupid and don't require any indoctrination whatsoever to come to the conclusion that a religious belief is rational or justifiable, you're not practicing religious freedom, you're ignoring the fact that you're a slave.
I hear you, but don't see it as a paradox because what is meant by "religious freedom" is (in theory) the freedom to choose any (ir)religion you wish. Although of course in practice it's the "freedom" to choose THEIR religion as opposed to all the incorrect ones (or that most incorrect of all, no religion).

It is the conceit of fundamentalists that the ONLY reason people don't choose their Truth is because they are deceived by Satan and his minions, sometimes willingly. Time and again their heads explode when presented with the stark fact that people simply DO NOT BELIEVE their fantastical, unsubstantiated and unsubstantiatable claims, and do not find the failed epistemology of religious faith effective at predicting or explaining experienced reality. In short, there are many GOOD reasons NOT to believe, it is not simply a matter or ignorance or obstinance or the desire to be libertines. A fundamentalist will only admit for consideration, bad or duplicitous reasons not to believe. And they will only consider unbelievers to be bad AND duplicitous.

You don't see the fact that it's not a choice because it's forced upon them by their agents of indoctrination, i.e. parents/church leaders/other family/community/schools? It's one thing if the parents presented the idea and then shut the fuck up about it and left it up to the kid to do the research and come to their own conclusion, but they don't. There is NO choice in it whatsoever, save for those I mentioned, the hopelessly stupid that require no previous indoctrination to be duped (but I'd wager one of my testes that those are somewhere in the remainder eclipsed by the otherwise 99.999% who are indoctrinated.)

---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power of Prayer and Fear of God mcolafson 33 5257 September 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Help me not fear heaven/hell Fleeing Jesus 128 13327 June 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  Fear of letting go? SlowCalculations 18 2013 June 3, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24418 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4688 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Love and Fear mcolafson 27 4989 September 18, 2016 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: mcolafson
  Do you still fear hell? Lucifer 56 6272 July 14, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Fear of hell JesusLover1 29 6746 April 26, 2014 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: nogodchick
  How do I not fear hell? JesusLover1 116 20629 March 3, 2014 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  How to overcome the fear of death? gambino 40 16976 December 13, 2012 at 10:06 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome