Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
How to overcome the fear of death?
How to overcome the fear of death?
My question is. After realizing that you do not believe in god, how have you coped with the understanding that death is the absolute end of your awareness?
RE: How to overcome the fear of death?
I've never believed in an afterlife, so it has been something that I have never lost any sleep over.
Cunt
I admit I'm disturbed by the thought that when I die I am going to just wink out. It's not a comforting thought. But I know that there is no evidence of anything other than winking out after we die. Everyone dies. Everything dies, eventually. In this context, death is the great equalizer. I guess, it's just about putting on your big boy/girl pants and accepting it. There's no running from it, no avoiding it, no cheating death... It's the inevitable. Given this, in my humble opinion, it's best to make the most of every day we have, because there's really no telling when it will be our last.
Quote:how have you coped with the understanding that death is the absolute end of your awareness?

You mean like the way it was before I was born?
How to overcome fear of death?

The option of "wasting" eternety in some shit garden worshipping a narcecist psychopath, with my scrotum missing or useless, and the scotch missing or being without effect together with a whole bunch of people who I fucking hate, - makes me welcome death.
well for one, a deity and the afterlife are exclusive only to eachother. One does not have to believe in god to consider all possibilities of existence.

Only religion attaches god to the afterlife. There is no reason one cannot hold to a comforting thought that his energy/consciousness/soul could possibly move onto another plain of existence or even be reincarnated. Existence after death is not an exclusive deal with theists.

Before everyone jumps on my case ... I'm not saying that this is the only way to cope with death.
Personally, I don't worry about it at all. Soul or no soul ... there's nothing I can do about it and I pay it no mind.

Why worry about things you cannot possibly control? Live well. After all, whats the alternative? A life of guilt and self-loathing. No thanks.

(November 16, 2012 at 9:43 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: How to overcome fear of death?

The option of "wasting" eternety in some shit garden worshipping a narcecist psychopath, with my scrotum missing or useless, and the scotch missing or being without effect together with a whole bunch of people who I fucking hate, - makes me welcome death.

I can't imagine a greater sorrow than being in heaven for a hundred trillion years and realizing that the next hundred trillion years will equate to 2 seconds in eternity. Terrifying! Absolutely terrifying. Ironic isn't it? Death is what makes life so damn beautiful.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Cinjin Wrote:Death is what makes life so damn beautiful.

^This.

And realizing that I won't have a mental process to contemplate how I feel about being dead also helps.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I dont fear death,not existing forever does not frighten me. Nothing is forever. This and as people have posted above that the fact we only have one life reinforces the value of it. Not to mention the fact existing forever seems really bleak and grim as people have said above also.
The reason I don't like the idea of dying, is because I cherish my family. I can hardly conceive of all the love I once had for them, not existing anymore.
(November 16, 2012 at 11:16 pm)gambino Wrote: The reason I don't like the idea of dying, is because I cherish my family. I can hardly conceive of all the love I once had for them, not existing anymore.

Well, this actualy gives my life purpose. I know my time is limited, so I know that I am not only here to enjoy myself - but to be of use to my sociaty and of course - to my family. I do care what they will think of me when I am dead and I`d rather be judged by them than by some bronze age FSM Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power of Prayer and Fear of God mcolafson 33 5281 September 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Help me not fear heaven/hell Fleeing Jesus 128 13414 June 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  Fear of letting go? SlowCalculations 18 2035 June 3, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24448 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Fear purplepurpose 9 3301 September 6, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4692 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Love and Fear mcolafson 27 4996 September 18, 2016 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: mcolafson
  Do you still fear hell? Lucifer 56 6289 July 14, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Fear of hell JesusLover1 29 6753 April 26, 2014 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: nogodchick
  How do I not fear hell? JesusLover1 116 20638 March 3, 2014 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: pocaracas