Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there ever a time when AF is devoid of users?
Is there ever a time when AF is devoid of users?
This is a question that only the SysAdmins can probably answer, but it appears that someone is always online 7x24!  Whew!!!
RE: Is there ever a time when AF is devoid of users?
Well, time zones 'n 'at.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but I am getting a "Server load limit -- try again later" message.  Now, maybe that's a good thing!
Might be a thread of its own, but I got that a few minutes ago, myself. Just once. OK now.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
[Image: giphy.gif]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Sometimes it's all sock puppets that are logged on . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Well, the system considers someone "on" if they've been active in the last 15 minutes, so probably not - except when the server is down.
So very quickly I did a scan of our logs from yesterday.

If you ignore bots (i.e. Google) then there was at least one request for 20,397 seconds out of a possible 86,400. So the site is being "used" about 24% of the time. However that number is probably completely inaccurate, because it only considers the time in which a user loads a page as visiting, when realistically people spend anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes reading posts.

BTW, if you include bot traffic, there is at least one request for 48,501 seconds of the day (we get a lot of bot traffic, and that's even after I blocked Yandex).

Google Analytics is perhaps a slightly better source of information on this, but alas it only breaks down visits by hour:

[Image: T161JMM.png]

However it does also measure session duration, and the average session duration is almost 16 minutes (that's HUGE). If the average session length is 947 seconds according to Google, and there were 803 sessions in total, that means users spent a collective 760,441 seconds on the site yesterday, which is almost 9 days. It's probably reasonable to say that there is always at least one user browsing the site at all times.

[Image: A5xnYQv.png]
Also worth mentioning that a return rate of ~66% is really really good for a website.
Look at you with your fancy charts and graphs.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 784 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  I've been there, "Have you ever"? Brian37 19 1676 November 16, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Once again time for how much time you've spent here Foxaèr 23 2659 April 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8748 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Rainbow A Thread For Sad And Lonely Internet Users Excited Penguin 36 3910 May 17, 2016 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your Top 5 favorite users on AF forums you want to have dinner with ErGingerbreadMandude 294 38359 February 25, 2016 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Jackalope
Wink Facebook users? Catholic_Lady 136 11271 July 11, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Message to any religious users regarding Violence in our community. IanHulett 19 4415 February 19, 2015 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  FB users help spread these pages. Brian37 7 1920 November 13, 2013 at 12:57 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The friend zone is the worst place to ever be in ever. Sakumofo 38 11504 October 6, 2013 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Aegrus