Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:36 am

Poll: Racism, Sexism, Homophobia: Are they all equally bad?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
87.50%
21 87.50%
No.
12.50%
3 12.50%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia.
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia.
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia: All equally bad? Yes or no?
RE: Racism, Sexism, Homophobia.
I dont know. I have to say I think it goes:
1. Racism
2. Sexism
3. Homophobia
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
It is not racism, sexism and homophobia that are 'bad'. It is the actions of some racist, homophobics and sexists that can be labeled 'bad'.

I am a sexist homophobic. Yet I would never harm another nor take any actions that would directly or indirectly cause harm. Am I "Bad"?

Kinda like I am an atheist. I don't like religion and by extention, religious fruitcakes. I don't trust them and, at times, harbor a deeper dislike of them over say a dislike of lima beans. However I would not do anything to cause personal harm or engage in any actions that would indirectly cause harm.

"Bad" is relative, subjective. It's not objective. You may see sexism as 'bad', I do not.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Yes, in the sense that any prejudice is bad.

But honestly, that is a terrible question. People who suffer from racism have very different experiences as opposed to those who suffer from sexism or homophobia or any mixture of the three. Just imagine what it's like for a gay black woman? They are always bad, it's just not worth comparing and trying to think which one is worse because they're not just not comparable.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Well perhaps I should say, for those of us who don't really know what it's like, should they be treated as all equally "bad"?
Only experienced racism. Haven't experienced the others, because they don't apply. But they are probably as bad as one another though.
(October 22, 2010 at 9:47 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Well perhaps I should say, for those of us who don't really know what it's like, should they be treated as all equally "bad"?

Of course. Why on earth wouldn't you? Unless you want to be Dotard, who I think is selling himself short for only claiming sexism and homophobia.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
yeah, they are, I'd say, but "we're all a little bit racist." I mean I am a little of all those things. I try not to be, but it's the society in which I was brought up. For instance, there aren't many blacks in my area and honestly expect for one I was friends with for a few years... the ones I knew that longest where jerks or not really the smartest people. I would never have thought about that or that I was a bit racist, except when I went to NYC the first time, I was very surprised at the fact that I saw a nicely dressed black man at a receptionist desk.
And then there is the statement I made one day that "Koreans are crazy." and well, all the Koreans I know are pretty weird.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(October 22, 2010 at 11:37 am)Cego_Colher Wrote: yeah, they are, I'd say, but "we're all a little bit racist." I mean I am a little of all those things. I try not to be, but it's the society in which I was brought up. For instance, there aren't many blacks in my area and honestly expect for one I was friends with for a few years... the ones I knew that longest where jerks or not really the smartest people. I would never have thought about that or that I was a bit racist, except when I went to NYC the first time, I was very surprised at the fact that I saw a nicely dressed black man at a receptionist desk.
And then there is the statement I made one day that "Koreans are crazy." and well, all the Koreans I know are pretty weird.

I don't think you could say everyone is a bit racist. I mean, I do not understand the mindset of hating or having a prejudice against someone solely for because of their skin color, or their sex, or their sexuality.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Quote:Racism, Sexism, Homophobia.

I thought this thread was about the Republican platform.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for the PC police about racism... IanHulett 17 2643 January 6, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Biological Strategy to end Racism chimp3 46 3647 September 26, 2016 at 12:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Suspicious activity at California shooter's home not reported due to fear of racism. Catholic_Lady 34 3995 December 6, 2015 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Cato
  Racism in mainstream media piterski123 8 2024 July 29, 2015 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Sexism because Adam Sandler didn't wear a dress Napoléon 17 2787 June 18, 2015 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Exian
  Self-racism? Dystopia 69 11926 February 9, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Is: not providing the inferstructure required for a mother to go back to work. sexism? Something completely different 6 1942 January 29, 2013 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Today at work, bullshit about homophobia. Brian37 5 2543 May 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Dealing with homophobia on Atheist Forums Existentialist 38 8751 November 19, 2010 at 6:13 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  Sexism. The making of a misogynist. Dotard 42 12079 November 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Ashendant