Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My house and mental health issues
My house and mental health issues
I have anxiety, and suffer from depression, not severe but still. I let my house go, really really go over the past year and a half because of my mom's declining health. I was spending lots of time with her and neglecting myself and my house. The worst part was my dog. She started having health issues and at the time I didn't have the money to take her to the vet and I wasn't about to make my problems my mom's considering.

Well, you will be pleased to know, I got help this week, cleaning my house, and the dog will finally get a good home. The people who clean professionally also took her to a no kill shelter. Great thing is when the lady came back, the vet said her problems looked minor and the dog was still energetic and happy. That was the worst part outside my mom, not being able to to help the dog and  fearing that if someone saw her I would get in trouble. 

Now I can focus on getting this mobile home removed and put a new one on it's spot. But I am thrilled that the dog will finally get the attention she deserves that I could not give her.
RE: My house and mental health issues
A couple of professionals have told me they think I have Dysthymia but I'm no longer on medication for it. Are you on meds? I can relate to living alone. I have an issue with clutter but I try to throw something away each day in my big trashcan. We just gotta keep goin'.
(September 13, 2017 at 7:35 pm)Bahana Wrote: A couple of professionals have told me they think I have Dysthymia but I'm no longer on medication for it. Are you on meds? I can relate to living alone. I have an issue with clutter but I try to throw something away each day in my big trashcan. We just gotta keep goin'.

No, I don't really want to try them because some of them have horrible side effects including thoughts of suicide. But the clutter and messiness seems to run in my family. My biological uncle took care of my biological grandfather, and it was the house I lived in before I got adopted. When I went to that house for the first time after meeting them, I noticed the kitchen was a wreck, dishes and pots and pan all over the counter, piled to the ceiling, clutter everywhere.  My biological grandmother smoked in the house so much so, that her antique doll collection had faded and yellowed over several decades. 

Long ago, when my mom started planning for the inevitable of course she said everything went  to me. I told her flat out that I was not going to keep her oil paintings and that she should give them to a friend, which I ended up doing. I don't like having expensive things because they don't seem to last around me. 

Part of why I miss living with my late adoptive mom. She wouldn't let me get away with being messy. I never told her how bad the house got. 

But again, the biggest relief was knowing the dog will finally be taken care of now.
I suffer from schizo affective bipolar type. Like you, the mood stuff is usually not too bad. I get by with just Lithium for the bipolar part of it.

I'm a bit of a packrat. I have thrown away a lot of stuff in the past few years. I think when I do get my own apartment I will need to leave some things behind.
(September 13, 2017 at 6:45 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I have anxiety, and suffer from depression, not severe but still. I let my house go, really really go over the past year and a half because of my mom's declining health. I was spending lots of time with her and neglecting myself and my house. The worst part was my dog. She started having health issues and at the time I didn't have the money to take her to the vet and I wasn't about to make my problems my mom's considering.

Well, you will be pleased to know, I got help this week, cleaning my house, and the dog will finally get a good home. The people who clean professionally also took her to a no kill shelter. Great thing is when the lady came back, the vet said her problems looked minor and the dog was still energetic and happy. That was the worst part outside my mom, not being able to to help the dog and  fearing that if someone saw her I would get in trouble. 

Now I can focus on getting this mobile home removed and put a new one on it's spot. But I am thrilled that the dog will finally get the attention she deserves that I could not give her.

Just too bad you couldn't salvage a continuing relationship with the dog. It is supposed to be a real benefit as we age and when depressed.  Of course, its mere presence wouldn't do it if you don't feel connected.
(September 13, 2017 at 8:09 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(September 13, 2017 at 6:45 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I have anxiety, and suffer from depression, not severe but still. I let my house go, really really go over the past year and a half because of my mom's declining health. I was spending lots of time with her and neglecting myself and my house. The worst part was my dog. She started having health issues and at the time I didn't have the money to take her to the vet and I wasn't about to make my problems my mom's considering.

Just too bad you couldn't salvage a continuing relationship with the dog. It is supposed to be a real benefit as we age and when depressed.  Of course, its mere presence wouldn't do it if you don't feel connected.

I have my cat, he is my best friend, big baby, always wants to be around me, so I still have a companion. I only wish I could have given the dog up sooner, she will do much better with someone else.
Brian - I am glad to hear you are moving in a positive direction. Great

I also have had my ups and downs over the years (to say the least), and I can attest that improved living conditions is a real help to mental health.
(September 13, 2017 at 8:01 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: I suffer from schizo affective bipolar type. Like you, the mood stuff is usually not too bad. I get by with just Lithium for the bipolar part of it.

I'm a bit of a packrat. I have thrown away a lot of stuff in the past few years. I think when I do get my own apartment I will need to leave some things behind.

I have type 1 bipolar also with PTSD. I get by on just lamotrigene and lorazepam for the anxiety. Cannabis is a great help as well. Medicated, my mood swings are manageable but when I have gone off my meds...well you probably have a fair idea.

Don't want to derail Brian's thread - just wanted to let you know you're in good company here. LOL
(September 13, 2017 at 8:41 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(September 13, 2017 at 8:01 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: I suffer from schizo affective bipolar type. Like you, the mood stuff is usually not too bad. I get by with just Lithium for the bipolar part of it.

I have type 1 bipolar also with PTSD. I get by on just lamotrigene and lorazepam for the anxiety. Cannabis is a great help as well. Medicated, my mood swings are manageable but when I have gone off my meds...well you probably have a fair idea.

Don't want to derail Brian's thread - just wanted to let you know you're in good company here. LOL

Thanks C'thulhu. My grandma has depression and I think she's been on Lorazepam. I don't doubt cannabis is helpful for you.
With the Schizophrenic aspect of my disease there are auditory hallucinations, so C.annabis would likely do some not nice things to me. There was some AD I took for sleep a year ago that really made me way manic. Usually I don't get like that.
(September 13, 2017 at 8:58 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote:
(September 13, 2017 at 8:41 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I have type 1 bipolar also with PTSD.  I get by on just lamotrigene and lorazepam for the anxiety.  Cannabis is a great help as well. Medicated, my mood swings are manageable but when I have gone off my meds...well you probably have a fair idea.

Don't want to derail Brian's thread - just wanted to let you know you're in good company here.  LOL

Thanks C'thulhu. My grandma has depression and I think she's been on Lorazepam. I don't doubt cannabis is helpful for you.
With the Schizophrenic aspect of my disease there are auditory hallucinations, so C.annabis would likely do some not nice things to me. There was some AD I took for sleep a year ago that really made me way manic. Usually I don't get like that.

I get manic from ADs too, and some sleep aids. I also have some auditory hallucinations but not bad enough to want to take anti-psychotics any longer. Cannabis can aggravate that if I use too much, but so far like anything else the benefits outweigh the risks. Moderation works for me.

I'm not quite sure what differentiates schizoaffective bipolar, schizophrenia, and type 1 with psychosis. Like not all bipolar sufferers have psychosis, actually I think it's not that common.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health Supplement no one 0 278 July 24, 2023 at 7:28 am
Last Post: no one
  Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission Agnostico 108 7149 June 14, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  Company that sold me my house is.... Brian37 18 1376 November 28, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Hanging out at a friends house last night. Brian37 45 4670 November 26, 2018 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Cod
  Federal Judge Orders White House To Temporarily Restore Press Access To Jim Acosta A Theist 120 10579 November 19, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Mental endurance purplepurpose 21 2496 September 2, 2018 at 11:23 am
Last Post: John V
  Lego-Type House Building BrianSoddingBoru4 4 524 May 1, 2018 at 8:56 am
Last Post: johan
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 14419 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  How many days of food in your house brewer 35 2551 November 2, 2017 at 11:19 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Any Marketing Experts in the House? Rhondazvous 0 511 September 4, 2017 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous