Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mental endurance
Mental endurance
How theists manage to torture their mind for decades with idea of Judgment Day and still remain in working condition? Does anyone know of studies done among theists about mental health?
RE: Mental endurance
They don't..if anything, theism is talent for avoiding discomfort. They're not the ones going to hell......member?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 31, 2018 at 9:40 am)purplepurpose Wrote: How theists manage to torture their mind for decades with idea of Judgment Day and still remain in working condition? Does anyone know of studies done among theists about mental health?

It's not easy to do so when one has compassion for other humans to entertain the notion of hell. It's not easy at all, but I find the guidance on how to take it all with serenity mixed with a little bit of grief and bit of humor as well,   a way to cope with this hard warning and truth we know surely will come about.

And as far I am concerned, I don't know if I will walk straight or fall, if I will deviate or ascend to God, I don't know, my fate is not determined, and so yes even selfishly, this is a worrying factor.

But at the end of the day, you got to trust God and his compassion, and do your best, to help people leave evil and come to faith and goodness.
(August 31, 2018 at 9:52 am)Khemikal Wrote: They don't..if anything, theism is talent for avoiding discomfort.  They're not the ones going to hell......member?

The only reason a lot of strong theist exist, from what I have heard from them, is that they strongly believe in hell. Question is how those strong, God fearing theists remain sane under such mind torture.
-and they strongly believe that it's the other guys going there. Oh, it must be downright tortuous to imagine that you're one of the chosen few, lol. My heart bleeds for them. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 31, 2018 at 9:40 am)purplepurpose Wrote: How theists manage to torture their mind for decades with idea of Judgment Day and still remain in working condition? 

Well, for Christians there is that whole thing about, you know...being forgiven.
Only if you're doing it right . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 31, 2018 at 10:57 am)alpha male Wrote:
(August 31, 2018 at 9:40 am)purplepurpose Wrote: How theists manage to torture their mind for decades with idea of Judgment Day and still remain in working condition? 

Well, for Christians there is that whole thing about, you know...being forgiven.

Can you lose your salvation? Or who told that you have been forgiven at all?

(August 31, 2018 at 10:31 am)Khemikal Wrote: -and they strongly believe that it's the other guys going there.  Oh, it must be downright tortuous to imagine that you're one of the chosen few, lol.  My heart bleeds for them.  Wink

You are right, as long as your kneeling before the Boss your going to have a nice handout. Infidels are the ones that going to get roasted. Still, being a hostage of God seems like a stressful life, having an invisible butcher/friend behind your back all the time.
What does all this have to do with mental endurance? 

An example of mental endurance is if both a theist and an atheist with the same physical capabilities were stranded in a remote desert, who will survive? If the theist survives because of his/her belief in god while the atheist gives up then that belief gives them an edge in mental endurance.
(August 31, 2018 at 11:09 am)purplepurpose Wrote: You are right, as long as your kneeling before the Boss your going to have a nice handout. Infidels are the ones that going to get roasted. Still, being a hostage of God seems like a stressful life, having an invisible butcher/friend behind your back all the time.

I can't imagine why.  You did just have a believer drop in to tell you that he was being wheeled to the finish line in a cart by his buddy jesus.  The rest of us poor fuckers are the only ones huffing and puffing in a marathon that ends with fire and brimstone.

He aint on the block, heathen, you are.."jesus" forgave him for all the shitty things he's ever done to himself or to other people, lol. That kind of absolution is better than heroin, all that's left to wonder is why you don't saddle up and let god push the needle in, yourself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 14469 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  My house and mental health issues Brian37 17 3836 September 15, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I had a mental breakdown robvalue 63 7835 August 26, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The Mental Illness Thread Saxmoof 55 7248 May 29, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Back after a stay in a US mental hospital. bladevalant546 36 4727 September 30, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  If physical illness was treated like mental illness. bladevalant546 7 1972 December 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Do You Have any Mental Abnormalities? Walking Void 42 8536 September 16, 2013 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Over- and mis- diagnosis of mental disorders (Was: Bipolar Disorder) Gilgamesh 50 15078 June 14, 2013 at 1:30 am
Last Post: Gilgamesh
  Mental Illness and the Psych Ward Psykhronic 27 5681 January 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Psykhronic
  This guy either needs serious mental help or the worlds best troll award Reforged 23 9269 July 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope