Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Burns & Lynn Novick's Documentary of the Viet Nam War
Ken Burns & Lynn Novick's Documentary of the Viet Nam War
I watched the first episode, Deja Vu, of the The Viet Nam War last night. I found it very interesting, I learned some deeper things about the origins of the conflict that I did not know before, such as the French occupation of Indo-China starting in 1858. Ken Burns work has always impressed me, very well done. What did any of you think of it if you watched it?
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: Ken Burns & Lynn Novick's Documentary of the Viet Nam War
I was at the Chicago screening and saw excerpts from all 10 episodes. Believe me there will be many many things that will surprise you. They have recording by Lyndon Johnson and Nixon that were never made public and the interviews with Viet Cong officers and soldiers will be very illuminating. Nixon intentionally thwarted a peace deal between North and South just to swing the election his way! More like Treasonous Dick. You'll also learn that the media intentionally ignored US military successes while over-reporting minor skirmishes. - not exactly what Burns expected to find.
Burns has his own spin on the war. Don't take anything as gospel until you've confirmed it on your onsies.
Damn commies, pinko rat bastards.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 18, 2017 at 6:20 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Damn commies, pinko rat bastards.

The grunts on the ground were just there, the politics started higher up.
Impressive, as all of Burns' work is.
I'm looking forward to watching it.

Viet Nam poised no danger to the U.S. We decimated a subsistence farming nation because of right wing ideology! I knew this in 1970 when I was 11 years old. Any takers?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(September 18, 2017 at 9:14 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Viet Nam poised no danger to the U.S. We decimated a subsistence farming nation because of right wing ideology! I knew this in 1970 when I was 11 years old. Any takers?

We let one country fall to the Communists and the others know we don't give a fuck about them.
Napalm! A great way to show how much we care.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who in the tudman administration faked a war so that they could sell weapons, to whom BrianSoddingBoru4 7 164 February 11, 2024 at 5:01 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A TV documentary called "Mafia vs. KKK" neil 4 186 January 20, 2024 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  War on Christmas downbeatplumb 6 616 December 18, 2020 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Remember]:torture since the American civil war WinterHold 33 3863 July 10, 2020 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  CIVIL WAR/WW2 history...... help me out. Brian37 12 1159 June 23, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Remember]:deadliest air raid happened in Tokyo during World War II WinterHold 102 4309 May 16, 2020 at 3:03 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why didn't the Cold War get bloody? shadow 30 2763 February 12, 2018 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ken Humphreys On Nazareth Minimalist 15 2767 November 4, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My Old Pal, Ken Humphreys Minimalist 0 653 October 14, 2017 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Yes. Sadly We All Know The Next Phony War Is Coming Minimalist 31 7172 February 28, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Kosh