Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antique furniture appraiser blowing smoke.
Antique furniture appraiser blowing smoke.
Ok, looking for some extra cash to help pay for my new mobile home i intend on buying. Trying to sell off some furniture I damned well know is quality and not reproductions which were handed to my parents by theirs before they adopted me.

So today, I get an appraiser to look at them. One what I can only describe as a antique library or accounting desk solid wood, ornate with iron fixtures dovetailed woodwork, not machine, and a separating book shelf. With a matching coffee table and low boy. They are each worth grands each I am sure of it. The desk itself I couldn't see going for no less than 2 to 5k, if not more. 

What was absurd is he was trying to tell me I could only get 75 to 100 each. 

If anyone has any experience with selling antiques is it better to say put an add in the paper or let a consignment shop or auction house do it for you? I know the stuff is worth way more than he eyeballed.
RE: Antique furniture appraiser blowing smoke.
Perhaps you should consider having it appraised professionally first.
(September 20, 2017 at 4:27 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Perhaps you should consider having it appraised professionally first.

That is what I googled to get this guy.
(September 20, 2017 at 4:58 pm)Brian37 Wrote: That is what I googled to get this guy.

Oh, duh....yep. Sorry.

A second opinion, maybe? Could be that that's actually all they're worth. 
Ever watch Antiques Roadshow? That's brutal to watch sometimes. You wouldn't be the first person to think he/she was sitting on a goldmine when they weren't.

If that's the case you might have better luck putting them on E-bay, and crossing your fingers.
Any pictures? Close ups of the detail?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Take pictures, google search images, research any manufacturer names. Pay for the appraisal and indicate for insurance purposes understanding that insurance value is less than retail value.  

Old =/= expensive.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Pros and cons of Craigslist and Ebay are well known.

Do you have enough stuff for an auction, or can you consign onto an already scheduled auction ??

I recently gave a (very) 60s style piece of furniture to an antiques dealer. We both agreed even 300 years into the future the thing would still only be worth $10 on Antiques Roadshow. He wanted it to hold items (curios and doodads) he feels he has a better shot at selling. Without my prompting he advised even 'good' antique furniture is hard to sell in this area, his customer base is 'graying' out and younger people don't want to buy antique furniture, they want to unload antique furniture they've inherited from their parents.

YMMV . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I had an end table that was a typical early '70's piece. Basically, the wooden pieces were typical and not valuable. The top piece was cut marble. Worth more separated from it's base than the piece intact.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Consign through a dealer if it's truly valuable. Sell on CL if not. EBay will be a waste of time and money considering shipping and fess they charge.

(September 20, 2017 at 2:59 pm)Brian37 Wrote: ..... They are each worth grands each I am sure of it. .....

Based on what?

Quality and worksmenship does not equal market value. Typically a piece of antique needs to either have a particular feature that is in vogue in the market at the moment, or has a highly desired and demonstrable pedigree to command that kind of money.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know anything about smoke detectors? Brian37 37 2081 November 8, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Okay so I bought this stupid antique... Aractus 13 2358 January 15, 2015 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "The future's 10 Mind-blowing technologies about to emerge" MJ the Skeptical 15 4575 August 30, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Ultimate furniture Zen Badger 5 1409 June 19, 2013 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How much do you smoke and pay for Marihuana? Meylis Delano Lawrence 16 4816 March 17, 2013 at 9:55 am
Last Post: festive1
  AF Smoke Ring Annik 0 798 February 2, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Annik
  Holy Smoke Epimethean 18 2783 September 30, 2011 at 1:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  furniture help! Rockthatpiano06 1 1319 April 24, 2009 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Atheismo