Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xtians are getting their feathers ruffled by Orville
Xtians are getting their feathers ruffled by Orville
No, not the green duck - that's understandable - but Seth McFarlane's Star Trek love letter:

World Religion News Wrote:The most recent episode “If The Stars Should Appear” has the crew investigate a gigantic ship that is ruled under a “dictatorial theocracy.” The inhabitants are so dogged about their faith that they are willing to plunge the ship into a sun rather than question their religious beliefs. One of the main characters mocks the society: “the common impulse of biological life forms to attribute the origin of the universe to an omnipotent being is most curious.” The show has previously caused ire over an episode that involved a sex change of a newborn infant.

As I commented on my FB feed, "So rather than tackling the actual premise of the episode in question, pointing out why it's wrong in their view, or at least engaging it head on and thinking about it (which is the whole point), they do the usual and play the outraged martyr card. The next move is to call for cancellation. The real pathetic irony is they're only drawing attention to the very thing they find objectionable, resulting in many more viewers."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Xtians are getting their feathers ruffled by Orville
Gee . . .

outraged martyrs in a religious protest organization.

Panic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I have actually enjoyed the show so far.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
the familiarity of the If The Stars Should Appear episode was pretty high

even the incidental music seemed 'lifted' from Star Trek: The Motion Picture
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Oh I LOVED that show.  Seth McFarlane (as all of you know, an outspoken atheist) is using his show to point out the evils of belief without sufficient evidence, and with theocratic societies.  (Actually, it looks like they might be taking the original Star Trek episodes and re-writing some of them.  This one was very much like "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky".  The Enterprise finds an asteroid that contains a generational ship on a collision course with an inhabited planet.  The people within are also inslaved by a punitive theocracy.  

This episode's title comes from a quote in the show, by a native who strayed out of bounds and found that the SKY was a painted wall:  "But things are not as they teach us. For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."    This was on of my favorite quotes after realizing that I could no longer believe in xtian teachings.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(October 1, 2017 at 1:48 pm)Cyberman Wrote: No, not the green duck - that's understandable - but Seth McFarlane's Star Trek love letter:

World Religion News Wrote:The most recent episode “If The Stars Should Appear” has the crew investigate a gigantic ship that is ruled under a “dictatorial theocracy.” The inhabitants are so dogged about their faith that they are willing to plunge the ship into a sun rather than question their religious beliefs. One of the main characters mocks the society: “the common impulse of biological life forms to attribute the origin of the universe to an omnipotent being is most curious.” The show has previously caused ire over an episode that involved a sex change of a newborn infant.

As I commented on my FB feed, "So rather than tackling the actual premise of the episode in question, pointing out why it's wrong in their view, or at least engaging it head on and thinking about it (which is the whole point), they do the usual and play the outraged martyr card. The next move is to call for cancellation. The real pathetic irony is they're only drawing attention to the very thing they find objectionable, resulting in many more viewers."
I think all Christians should be given the chance to plunge their ship into a sun.
Where where they in condemning the new Cosmos series with Neil?

Every episode spent a bit of time pointing out the fact that all the world's religions in our species history had gatekeepers whom flipped out when you questioned their social norms.

Yes we should question religion, it is why we no longer own slaves and women can vote.
turns out many institutions don't like questions . . .

I was like, "hmmm...Orville"

...and then I was like Popcorn
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Graphics are neat and the (horny) gelatinous creature was fun.

I'd probably give him a go . . .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Satanic Temple beating fundies at their own game Peebothuhlu 2 469 August 9, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: no one
  Shatner getting a divorce from 4th wife Fake Messiah 21 912 December 17, 2019 at 3:36 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  regarding COPPA, is the FTC overreaching their authority here? Cepheus Ace 7 673 November 21, 2019 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Things will be fine since they have that magic "R" next to their name A Godzilla fan 2 629 August 28, 2019 at 6:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Russian Woman Reportedly Faces 6 Years in Prison for Insulting Memes about Xtians purplepurpose 1 545 October 16, 2018 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trumptards Reduced to Photoshopping Their "Hero." Minimalist 19 2244 September 24, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dear Orange Fuckface-Your Act Is Getting Old Minimalist 0 236 August 31, 2018 at 12:56 pm
  Melania visits kids taken from their parents? Brian37 36 4585 June 22, 2018 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Don't Trust Management (or Trump) If Their Lips Are Moving Minimalist 0 216 May 22, 2018 at 7:32 pm
  Vatican trying to mix science with their religion Brian37 20 2314 March 28, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4