Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catalonia declares independence!
Catalonia declares independence!
Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41780116
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Catalonia declares independence!
Woof..incoming Article 155 from Madrid.. Not gonna be pretty.

Not sure exactly how Catalans thought this was going to go.. no major European country will recognize them (UK has already said they won't), they have no army, they can't get into the EU (as Spain would vote against them). I can appreciate their sentiments in wanting more autonomy, but did they have any idea at all about how that would actually work? Now Madrid is going to invoke Article 155 of their constitution and assume even more direct control over the region.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Good for them.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 27, 2017 at 12:55 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Woof..incoming Article 155 from Madrid..  Not gonna be pretty.

Not sure exactly how Catalans thought this was going to go.. no major European country will recognize them (UK has already said they won't), they have no army, they can't get into the EU (as Spain would vote against them).  I can appreciate their sentiments in wanting more autonomy, but did they have any idea at all about how that would actually work?  Now Madrid is going to invoke Article 155 of their constitution and assume even more direct control over the region.

Fuckers probably expect John McCain and Lindsey Graham to demand that the US bomb Madrid on their behalf.
(October 27, 2017 at 1:25 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Good for them.

Iiii dunno..I don't see any single positive thing coming from this. Besides maybe an intangible feeling of moral superiority for some Catalans.
- Thomas Jefferson
Follow up story - Catalonia Ground Into A Fine Powder.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Can anyone tell me why Catalonia wanted secession?

From what I see in the article, "But many Catalans feel they pay more to Madrid than they get back...". Is this an issue of redistribution of wealth and power that they don't like?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 27, 2017 at 1:55 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Can anyone tell me why Catalonia wanted secession?

From what I see in the article, "But many Catalans feel they pay more to Madrid than they get back...". Is this an issue of redistribution of wealth and power that they don't like?

I'll try to give it my quickest TL;DR:
  • Catalonia has had its own language, customs, and laws for a long, long time.  In 1714 King Phillip V conquered (or united, depending on who you ask) Catalonia and added it to the newly formed Spain that we know today.
  • Since 1714, Spanish Kings had tried to impose Spanish language, customs, and laws on the Catalonia region, and had failed every time.  They finally gave up in 1931 (yes, over 200 years later), and let Catalonia have its regional government. Catalonia still pissed about the last two centuries of shittiness from the Spanish national government.
  • In 1938 General Francisco Franco re-conquered the Catalonia region, killed 3500+ people and exiled a bunch more.  Destroyed their regional government. Catalans even more pissed now.
  • In 1977 democracy returns, they get some of their autonomy back.  Calls for independence increased since then up to the situation we have now - they want nothing to do with the Spanish national government, and their grievances are much more recent than most people think in terms of history. Catalonia still really fucking pissed.
  • The shitty economy in Spain makes things worse, since the Catalonia region accounts for ~20% of the country's GDP (industry, finance, hi-tech stuff), and they feel like they're being milked to support the shittier, poorer parts of the country against their will. Catalonia still really fucking pissed, and now they feel like Spain is stealing their money.
So it's a big mess of historical grievances and economic strain and a fucking ton of poorly managed and poorly executed attempts at both conquering and governing the region.
- Thomas Jefferson
Sounds like wealth and power/autonomy to me. But then I'm not much of a political animal.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 27, 2017 at 2:18 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Sounds like wealth and power/autonomy to me. But then I'm not much of a political animal.

And you can't ignore that for more than 2 and a half centuries (1714-1977) the Spanish national government in pretty much all its forms was being an utter asshole to the Catalonia region, and some would argue they're only being slightly less of an asshole to them today.  That sort of historical anger doesn't go away in a couple of decades.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blinken practices Liberal Appeasement: "Do not support Taiwan's Independence". Nishant Xavier 37 2000 June 21, 2023 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Putin Announces Total Independence from ‘Rothschild-Controlled’ US Dollar ignoramus 0 436 February 15, 2021 at 3:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Texas Governor declares Feb 2nd Chris Kyle Day Aroura 51 6929 May 30, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Al Qaeda vs. ISIS: Al-Zawahiri Declares War on Al-Baghdadi pocaracas 19 3068 September 12, 2015 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut