Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Governor declares Feb 2nd Chris Kyle Day
Texas Governor declares Feb 2nd Chris Kyle Day
Although this happened last year, I only became aware of it this year.  So, many many people are very proud that Texas now has a holiday devoted to this....man.

Chris Kyle Day

Now, I've seen the movie but not read his book.  I did, however, read a number of excerpts from the book and some commentary and reviews. The movie portrays him as a man who struggled with his sniper job.  His own words portray him as a man who enjoyed it, and wished he'd "killed more" of the people he called "savages". 

Chris Kyle Interview

Is he a war hero that deserves honor, or a monster who actually enjoyed his work waaaay more than the movie shows?  Or something in-between?

Personally, I find the man to be more of an abhorrent monster than a war hero.  But that is at least partly a reflection of how I view these "Wars".  Then again, I don't feel this way about the vast majority of recent war vets, just for those who glorify the war or themselves for being part of it.

I notice the responses to any criticism in comments section are usually something along the lines of "leftist commie morons" and "anti-American libtartds" and "don't like Texas/USA policy, GTFO", etc.

So, what do you think about it?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Texas Governor declares Feb 2nd Chris Kyle Day
Just a guy who wanted to excel at doing the job given to him. Of course he wanted to kill more. The more of them he killed the less his comrades and non fighting population died.

He is neither hero nor monster. He is a man assigned a necessary task in war.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Government seems to always find the people needed to do whatever.

I'm thinking there weren't too many he blasted that wouldn't have blasted him first if the chance arose. Having a PTSD guy he was trying to help (in over his head in my 20/20 rearview mirror) shoot him was awful. Reminded me of 'Ken' from when I was a volunteer in the HIV Buddy program . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Might have been one of the 2 percent Dave Grossman spoke of in his book "On killing". The number of soldiers, who actually enjoy taking lives. It's reading material for the US army and Grossman was or still is an army shrink. So it's not some liberal book.

I'm not sure, if that's the kind of guy who should be celebrated. Going by his own quotes alone, he was a bloodthirsty prick. The world isn't any poorer without him.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I don't know enough about him to know where his heart was really at. I only watched the movie. If he was like the person in the movie, then I don't have a problem with him as a person. Either way though, I try to er on the side of favor to our military members because they have such a tough job, and have been through so much. It's hard to speak when we personally were not in the horrific situations they were in. Interesting question, though. Definitely something to think about.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(February 3, 2016 at 4:38 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Just a guy who wanted to excel at doing the job given to him. Of course he wanted to kill more. The more of them he killed the less his comrades and non fighting population died.

He is neither hero nor monster. He is a man assigned a necessary task in war.

^Probably a sound conclusion, given that we didn't really know him to say much more either way.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Chris Kyle Day?

Is that the day you get to go out and shoot a veteran?

Angel
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 3, 2016 at 5:36 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I don't know enough about him to know where his heart was really at. I only watched the movie. If he was like the person in the movie, then I don't have a problem with him as a person.

Read his personal quotes, taken from his book. These quotes can be found easily on the internet. Most is bull and pure invention, but it helps in realizing how he wanted to be viewed.

Also, as for American Sniper - there's a certain brand of American films that are no better in the gag reflex department than what Goebbels produced in ages past. Top Gun, They were expendable, Pearl Harbor to a certain degree. Usually the ones where the support of the Pentagon is mentioned in the credits. They don't smile on productions that don't play ball - propaganda ball, that is.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Sarah Palin loved the movie.  That, alone, should be sufficient reason to doubt its authenticity.
My uncle was of the opinion no one in the army was supposed to be assigned to do anything they enjoyed doing or were good at. Especially mess cooks.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kyle Rittenhouse Trial onlinebiker 352 22083 November 25, 2021 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Will leaving the state work in Texas brewer 19 930 July 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  NRA files chpter11 in NY in order to flee to Texas. Brian37 14 1146 January 16, 2021 at 5:42 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump Train runs Biden Bus out of Texas! WinterHold 18 1318 November 2, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Texas, NOW this is encouraging. Brian37 3 234 November 1, 2020 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Kenosha Shooter Kyle Rittenhouse onlinebiker 154 6624 September 23, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  And in Texas no less..... Brian37 7 939 November 11, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  FOXtards Upset With Chris Wallace. Minimalist 7 1084 November 4, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Three Separate Package Explosions Reported In Texas A Theist 189 14545 March 26, 2018 at 7:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Texas judge interrupts jury, says God told him defendant is not guilty Tiberius 17 2903 January 21, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Whateverist