Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A special kind of cray
A special kind of cray
The article is a year old, but I don't recall if it was ever discussed here. It was only ever mentioned on this one blog, which makes me think it's a humor piece rather than real news. I will let you decide:

Quote:Students at the University of Cape Town in South Africa brought some interesting concerns before the science faculty this week: namely, they think science as it is currently understood must be abolished.

"The whole thing should scratched off, especially in Africa," said one of the students.

The students are apparently known as "fallists." Their hashtag is #ScienceMustFall. You can watch them make their case during a meeting here.

Essentially, these students believe that modern scientific understanding is too Eurocentric. One explained:

"I have a question for all the science people. There is a place in KZN called Umhlab'uyalingana. They believe that through the magic' you call it black magic' they call it witchcraft' you are able to send lightening to strike someone. Can you explain that scientifically because it's something that happens?"

Many people laughed at this remark because, well, witchcraft is not something that happens. But according to the student, witchcraft is like Isaac Newton's theory of gravity—it's just one way of explaining the world, among many.

"Decolonising the science would mean doing away with it entirely and starting all over again to deal with how we respond to the environment and how we understand it," the student continued.

Down with science: coming to an American university near you? It wouldn't surprise me.

Ideally, universities are the perfect vehicle for reforming idiotic views about science. Let's hope Cape Town is up to challenge of explaining why concerns about social justice should not lead students to reject the theory of gravity.

https://youtu.be/C9SiRNibD14

https://reason.com/blog/2016/10/14/watch...ence-is-ra

The only thing I can find in the mainstream media in relation to UCT is protests due to tuition fees.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: A special kind of cray
We need to give these people their own country.

Then creationists can also be sent there, along with anti-vaxxers, and climate deniers, and anyone else who denies science and facts.

There, in the country I dub, "Dumbphukistan", they can live in ignorance...

...until they're wiped out by an epidemic.
Dying to live, living to die.
. . . from an improperly sanitized telephone . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

They can make Betsy DeVos their queen!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I hate these kind of headlines. onlinebiker 50 2030 December 8, 2021 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  S.O.U. Special Orange Unit. Brian37 0 144 May 19, 2021 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Former judge files new motions pushing for special prosecutor in Jussie Smollett case EgoDeath 15 1497 July 1, 2019 at 12:21 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Trump responds to special counsel Robert Mueller’s statement: ‘The case is closed WinterHold 21 2056 June 7, 2019 at 2:28 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Sessions To Open Door To Special Counsel A Theist 9 893 November 14, 2017 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Brian37
  This reminds me a bit of Steven Kind and The Stand abaris 0 788 September 11, 2015 at 8:29 am
Last Post: abaris
  This is the Kind of Bullshit That Keeps Minimalist 10 1807 September 5, 2015 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pretty woman, the kind lobbyists like to meet. Brian37 4 1234 February 28, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus