Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the alonest you've ever been?
What's the alonest you've ever been?
Alonest = being alone either by distance, or by state of mind. (A third, fourth, etc., state is not disallowed, but please explain.) 

Time wise, state of mind, the first eighteen years of my life. The other people in the house were pretty much drones, I can't remember ever having a "conversation" with any of them. 

Spatially, one week in Death Valley living in a cave. Friends dropped me off in a place they knew with food and water and an emergency radio. I haven't smoked since the SUV ride out there.
RE: What's the alonest you've ever been?
My ex wife left me and took my 1 yr old daughter with her.
I didn't see my little girl for 4 months.
I thought often about ending it all, but I knew a girl who had suicided on the 5th anniversary of her mother's suicide.
I didn't want to take the chance that she gets older, goes through a rough trot and thinks it was ok for dad so she'll do it too.

Second loneliest time was when I was in Adelaide and my girlfriend left me over the phone, so I went out drinking, had my wallet stolen and all I had left was a bus ticket to Perth.
River flooded halfway there, so the trip took 42 hrs and I was starving when I got there.
Slept in some toilets to keep out of the rain, ate food out of bins, hitched a ride to donnybrook to get some fruit picking work, found an abandoned house with half the roof missing, found some work picking apples, found out my dad was dying of cancer, went out drinking and got my faced kicked in by a Maori.
I stumbled home and a big storm came through that took a bit more roof off, but I barely noticed it, sitting in the corner, crying and so very lonely.
A Thanksgiving about 15 years ago. I had split from my ex husband that year and a coworker asked me to stay in her house and take care of her animals while she traveled for the holiday. I cooked a sad turkey dinner for one and went for a walk in the neighborhood. As I walked, I could see homes with lots of cars parked in the driveways, lights on and people inside. And there I was, meandering around alone.

-Teresa
Now..
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
When my oldest daughter moved out of the house. All my other kids were out already. Having a house full of kids for most of your life... it's unsettling how it feels when there are none anymore.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
My teenage years. No friends or relationships. Felt misunderstood by my family and out of place in the world. Being in high school without friends is scary and depressing. You feel very vulnerable. 

A blessing in disguise.
Since I enjoy being alone, compared to sociable people, I doubt I can adequately respond.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 31, 2017 at 1:01 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Since I enjoy being alone, compared to sociable people, I doubt I can adequately respond.

I'm guessing your 'alonest' moments involve being in crowds.
(October 31, 2017 at 1:01 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Since I enjoy being alone, compared to sociable people, I doubt I can adequately respond.

I enjoy that now. I still don't have friends or relationships but my attitude is different. I use to feel more lonely around people but now it doesn't bother me.
Good question. I really have no clue. Being disabled from birth, I was often left out of the popular social circles, and either left literally alone or embraced by socially impaired misfits that I wanted nothing to do with. Now? I dunno, but after some talks with my psychologist, I realize how important age peers are, and having missed out on a lot of that, I have missed out on that kind of human development. Nowadays, it's hard to know who I fit in with, especially as that can change from moment to moment. I just feel like a stranger in my own body at times.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy birthday Gawdzilla where ever you are. arewethereyet 6 434 January 12, 2024 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  You’ve Been Kidnapped!! BrianSoddingBoru4 40 2190 December 14, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Have you ever Met-up with an online Buddy? Uberpod 25 1425 December 3, 2022 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Orbit
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1170 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Been wondering what the boyfriend looks like? Foxaèr 8 703 January 14, 2022 at 11:43 am
Last Post: johnnyy
  Imagine You've Been Kidnapped BrianSoddingBoru4 26 1326 August 20, 2021 at 4:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How high have you ever been? Frank Apisa 27 2090 June 28, 2021 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Name a movie that would have been creepy with a sex scene The Valkyrie 40 2251 November 21, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1081 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  This has been nagging me for a while now... Dr H 11 1561 January 21, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset