Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the "Buddy List" for? Why must we request/give consent?
What is the "Buddy List" for? Why must we request/give consent?
I'm trying to understand what it means to put someone on your "Buddy list" here.

I ask because I use it over at TTA where I post less frequently to more quickly follow the posters I like to hear from. 

When posters post less frequently here it would also be convenient to have a little directory to locate their user page so I can check their most recent posts.  But if that is all it is, why should it be necessary to request or grant permission.

I think it is a little murkily confusing what it means to be "buddies" here.  I know in the past I would get alerts saying someone wants to be my buddy and I didn't do anything about it, assuming they could do it without my assent.  Oops.  (In fact, I never even knew what "Alerts" were for my first few years here.  If anyone ever sent such a request to me in the past and failed to get a response I'd be happy to formally give my assent now.)

Maybe it should be called "My personal directory of favorite posters" and everyone could unilaterally add or delete members the same way they do to their "Ignore list".  I mean, if someone wanted to stalk someone else here they could do so through the members list anyway.  It amounts to a shortcut .. unless I'm missing the point?  A little help?
RE: What is the "Buddy List" for? Why must we request/give consent?
I honestly didn't know it existed until one day I got bored and was looking at my User CP. I found requests from a few people. xD
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
You must give consent because Buddy List Rape is wrong.

Joke

It's an old forum feature that no one really uses and it kind of just sticks around by default. It's pretty fucking useless really.
Wouldn't it be better just to rebrand it as your personal directory and quit bothering people with confusing requests?
I don't see an option to disable the requests, so I'm not sure how they do it at TTA. Probably via a mod.
Is it so bothersome to get friend requests? I for one would be glad that someone was thinking about me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I think about the Cybermen menace all the time !!

All hail the Daleks !!!

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 1, 2017 at 10:27 am)Cyberman Wrote: Is it so bothersome to get friend requests? I for one would be glad that someone was thinking about me.

I know right? I'm sitting here going 'wait people actually use that?' I just assumed by my lack of even one buddy request that it was something people didn't feel necessary
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(November 1, 2017 at 10:27 am)Cyberman Wrote: Is it so bothersome to get friend requests? I for one would be glad that someone was thinking about me.

Not at all. But when sent one recently I was asked what their purpose was. Don't worry my request box is empty.
Isn't it obvious? It's for buddy love.

[Image: 3684052-buddy-love-nutty-professor-2.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A request to delete my posts in the members photo thread WinterHold 30 4814 July 1, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  I must say... Minimalist 21 2534 July 12, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Request for a new report feature. Ravenshire 6 1096 May 6, 2018 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Buddy List Alerts Foxaèr 15 3446 May 2, 2018 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  List Posts BrianSoddingBoru4 15 3117 April 7, 2018 at 8:02 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Request For Thread Of Mine To Be Deleted MW85 11 2661 January 1, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Buddy List: What Is It / What does it Do? Neo-Scholastic 17 3300 November 20, 2016 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist Forums Must Change Cinjin 47 8500 January 30, 2016 at 8:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about Buddy Requests Athene 23 2962 November 18, 2015 at 4:20 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  About the ignore list Orchids 28 3628 September 22, 2015 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Spooky