Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most philosophers are atheist.
Most philosophers are atheist.
Quote:Last year, David Bourget and David Chalmers conducted an exercise in the sociology of philosophy, the largest survey of philosophers ever (3000+ respondents): the PhilPapers Surveys. Now that new results have been released, let’s look back at the findings.

Atheism or theism?
72.8% atheism
14.6% theism
12.5% other

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=13371
RE: Most philosophers are atheist.
I'll take this with a grain of salt. There are many out there promoting a philosophy that probably didn't receive the survey questionnaire.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 3, 2017 at 8:57 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I'll take this with a grain of salt. There are many out there promoting a philosophy that probably didn't receive the survey questionnaire.

They surveyed 3,000 -- how many could be left?
Unless they canvassed every fast food drive through they couldn't possibly have hit every philosophy major.  

Angel
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Because religious people have all the answers, no need for silly philosophy.
(November 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(November 3, 2017 at 8:57 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I'll take this with a grain of salt. There are many out there promoting a philosophy that probably didn't receive the survey questionnaire.

They surveyed 3,000 -- how many could be left?

Quote: ".... a survey of professional philosophers and others on their philosophical views,....The Survey was taken by 3226 respondents, including 1803 philosophy faculty members and/or PhDs and 829 philosophy graduate students.". 

There are probably many others.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The sample size is big enough though.
12.5% don't understand what the words mean, I notice. Some philosophers they are.
(November 3, 2017 at 5:35 pm)Hammy Wrote: 12.5% don't understand what the words mean, I notice. Some philosophers they are.

Some philosophers probably do not like words.  Still, I think that most are pretty level-headed.
[Image: 10udut.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1284 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are philosophers jealous lovers about reality? vulcanlogician 4 503 February 10, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Favorite Philosophers? vulcanlogician 56 7721 January 7, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  New Philosophers letsbefriends 5 1378 June 18, 2015 at 12:13 am
Last Post: mralstoner