Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Philosophers?
Favorite Philosophers?
Hey Guys! 

I thought it might be fun for people to list their favorite philosophers. If you're not all that into philosophy, just put the name of one person that you like. Or if you're a hopeless wisdom-lover like me, make it a top 5. These don't have to be "canonized" western philosophers or anything-- just your favorite thinkers. Some of you may like Freud or Leo Tolstoy (who, by strict definition, don't fit into the category). Who cares?  Have fun with it. Theists can put Jesus on the list to annoy everyone etc...

1. Socrates
2. Friedrich Nietzsche
3. Henry David Thoreau
4. Plato
5. William James

(Spinoza fights with James for the number 5 slot.)
RE: Favorite Philosophers?
The Dude, of course.

[Image: nkjdachvtkv8hcv5kz20.jpg]
I remember being favorably impressed with each of the philosophers you chose, OP.  Though I might choose Aristotle over Plato and his mouthpiece Socrates, since he contributed so much to the foundations of science.  Plato/Socrates always struck me as being as much rhetoricians (a dirty word as I use it) as philosophers, though that might just be the fault of the manner of Plato's exposition.  

Someone who isn't really a serious academic philosopher but made a big impression on me before I studied it in college, was Alan Watts.  If you liked Thoreau and James you might also like Watts, though Watts' woo as a percentage of his writing was much higher.

Nietzsche is thought provoking and colorful and I confess to reading a lot of what he wrote.  But I always suspected I was reading someone who was borderline paranoid and manic or on drugs.  Didn't make it any less fun of course.

I might like to include Hume and I always felt like I should have read Wittgenstein, but too late.  All I read now is novels and honestly, I've probably gotten just as much out of it. Though if I hadn't of studied philosophy I might never have gotten my head out of the clouds.
Will Rogers.
(December 6, 2017 at 6:26 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: The Dude, of course.

[Image: nkjdachvtkv8hcv5kz20.jpg]

But did he really ever abide?
[Image: hlmencken1-2x.jpg]
Larry, Moe and Curly.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
"A trap is for fish; when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits; when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning; when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find someone who's forgotten words so I can have a word with him?"
-Zhuangzi

I've been in an ancient Asian philosophy mood for some time now.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Dying to live, living to die.
Heraclitus.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1282 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are philosophers jealous lovers about reality? vulcanlogician 4 503 February 10, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Most philosophers are atheist. Jehanne 40 6613 November 6, 2017 at 5:42 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  New Philosophers letsbefriends 5 1378 June 18, 2015 at 12:13 am
Last Post: mralstoner