Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coal Only Supplied 2 Percent of U.K. Electricity in the First 6 Months of 2017
Coal Only Supplied 2 Percent of U.K. Electricity in the First 6 Months of 2017
Scientific American: Coal Only Supplied 2 Percent of U.K. Electricity in the First 6 Months of 2017

Quote:According to data from the U.K. government, coal-fired power plants only supplied 2% of electricity in the United Kingdom during the first six months of 2017. This is a stark contrast to just five years ago, where coal supplied about 40% of the U.K.’s electricity needs each year. At the same time, renewables have quickly ramped up and now supply a quarter of electricity in the country.

As previously discussed here on Plugged In, Scotland has already gone "coal-free" after more than a century, shuttering its last coal-fired power plant in the spring of 2016. This closure was a significant step toward Scotland’s goal of supplying 100% of its electricity demand using renewables by 2020.

While coal power is still operating elsewhere in the United Kingdom it is supplying so little power at times that in National Grid announced on April 21, 2017, that the United Kingdom had gone without electricity from this fossil fuel for the first time since 1882. It was in this year that Thomas Edison opened the country’s first coal-fired power plant at Holborn in London.
Even starker numbers appear when looking at coal-mining in the United Kingdom where just 10 active coal mines are in operation, down from more than 1,000 in the 1960s. Once a “bedrock of the economy”, coal has quickly declined in the U.K. as the country moves to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions and tackle its air pollution challenges.

An article comes out every goddamn day proving that the U.S. should be investing in renewable energies. But Trump needs them votes from coal country, so we're going to be years behind economically.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Coal Only Supplied 2 Percent of U.K. Electricity in the First 6 Months of 2017
I can remember when I got a call from a business wanting me to vote pro coal, and I was like "We still use coal?". I honestly thought we had gone past that by now, but apparently not.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Coal Only Supplied 2 Percent of U.K. Electricity in the First 6 Months of 2017
Their gonna have to change A Christmas Carol.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 10, 2017 at 2:38 pm)Aegon Wrote: Scientific American: Coal Only Supplied 2 Percent of U.K. Electricity in the First 6 Months of 2017

Quote:According to data from the U.K. government, coal-fired power plants only supplied 2% of electricity in the United Kingdom during the first six months of 2017. This is a stark contrast to just five years ago, where coal supplied about 40% of the U.K.’s electricity needs each year. At the same time, renewables have quickly ramped up and now supply a quarter of electricity in the country.

As previously discussed here on Plugged In, Scotland has already gone "coal-free" after more than a century, shuttering its last coal-fired power plant in the spring of 2016. This closure was a significant step toward Scotland’s goal of supplying 100% of its electricity demand using renewables by 2020.

While coal power is still operating elsewhere in the United Kingdom it is supplying so little power at times that in National Grid announced on April 21, 2017, that the United Kingdom had gone without electricity from this fossil fuel for the first time since 1882. It was in this year that Thomas Edison opened the country’s first coal-fired power plant at Holborn in London.
Even starker numbers appear when looking at coal-mining in the United Kingdom where just 10 active coal mines are in operation, down from more than 1,000 in the 1960s. Once a “bedrock of the economy”, coal has quickly declined in the U.K. as the country moves to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions and tackle its air pollution challenges.

An article comes out every goddamn day proving that the U.S. should be investing in renewable energies. But Trump needs them votes from coal country, so we're going to be years behind economically.

The only problem with the UK's energy problem is that they are shifting to natural gas and wood (which is much more ecologically damaging than coal), and even worse when their electricity security gets worst, really dirty diesel generators.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(November 10, 2017 at 3:52 pm)Wololo Wrote:
(November 10, 2017 at 2:38 pm)Aegon Wrote: Scientific American: Coal Only Supplied 2 Percent of U.K. Electricity in the First 6 Months of 2017

The only problem with the UK's energy problem is that they are shifting to natural gas and wood (which is much more ecologically damaging than coal), and even worse when their electricity security gets worst, really dirty diesel generators.

Could you provide me with some readings on that? I'm searching things like "united kingdom natural gas" but am unable to find any articles discussing this rise in natural gas and wood. (Not saying I don't believe you! I'm just curious.) 

I see that in September, The Independent reported that almost a third of the UK's electricity came from renewable energy (with wind power being the most prominent): http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busine...72266.html
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Don't tell the WLB.  He'll just call it Fake News anyway.
(November 10, 2017 at 3:58 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(November 10, 2017 at 3:52 pm)Wololo Wrote: The only problem with the UK's energy problem is that they are shifting to natural gas and wood (which is much more ecologically damaging than coal), and even worse when their electricity security gets worst, really dirty diesel generators.

Could you provide me with some readings on that? I'm searching things like "united kingdom natural gas" but am unable to find any articles discussing this rise in natural gas and wood. (Not saying I don't believe you! I'm just curious.) 

I see that in September, The Independent reported that almost a third of the UK's electricity came from renewable energy (with wind power being the most prominent): http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busine...72266.html

I can't really, most of my information comes from the Private Eye (which is behind a paywall, so therefore not freely available), and what my brother gets from his industry sources and academic journals. However the Wikipedia numbers are:

Quote:In 2016, total electricity production stood at 357 TWh (down from a peak of 385 TWh in 2005), generated from the following sources:[32][33]
Gas: 40.2% (0.05% in 1990)
Nuclear: 20.1% (19% in 1990)
Wind: 10.6% (0% in 1990), of which:
Onshore Wind: 5.7%
Offshore Wind: 4.9%

Coal: 8.6 (67% in 1990)
Bio-Energy: 8.4% (0% in 1990)
Solar: 2.8% (0% in 1990)
Hydroelectric: 1.5% (2.6% in 1990)
Oil and other: 7.8% (12% in 1990)
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(November 10, 2017 at 3:52 pm)Wololo Wrote:

Wood is more ecologically damaging than coal? I disagree. For one thing burning wood is carbon neutral, whereas coal causes heavy pollution. Additionally, forestry can be a sustainable industry, whereas coal will never be.
The trouble with wood as fuel arises in the gulf between best practices and current practices.  That and the fact that renewables advocates feel threatened by such a simple solution that they fudge their emissions math and don't count the dirty furnaces baking silicon and heavy metals now that electronics manufacturing can't keep up with demand as a waste stream.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Iowa, with Warren Buffet funding project, is hot on England's heels for renewable electricity.

Not sure hostility to US measures is warranted considering Iowa success story with filthy capitalist Buffet leading the way AND showing renewability is PROFITABLE.

Beats the holy fuck out of this mess:

[Image: holding-under-the-dome-documentary-china-pollution.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nokia 3310 mobile phone resurrected at MWC 2017 account_inactive 15 1863 February 27, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  What personal info could a person potentially trace, with only knowledge of an email? Gambit 7 2504 May 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious