Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nokia 3310 mobile phone resurrected at MWC 2017
Nokia 3310 mobile phone resurrected at MWC 2017
I'm definitely buying one of these.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39095127

Quote:Nokia's 3310 phone has been relaunched nearly 17 years after its debut.

Many consider the original handset iconic because of its popularity and sturdiness. More than 126 million were produced before it was phased out in 2005.

The revamped version will be sold under licence by the Finnish start-up HMD Global, which also unveiled several Nokia-branded Android smartphones.

One expert said it was a "fantastic way" to relaunch Nokia's phone brand.

"The 3310 was the first mass-market mobile and there's a massive amount of nostalgia and affection for it," commented Ben Wood from the technology consultancy CCS Insight.

"If HMD had just announced three Android devices they would have barely got a couple of column inches in the press.

"So, the 3310 is a very clever move and we expect it will sell in significant volumes."
RE: Nokia 3310 mobile phone resurrected at MWC 2017
In what way is this a "relaunched" 3310, apart from being vaguely 3310-shaped and being sold with snake? The original could withstand a nuclear bomb at close range, and had a battery life longer than some stars. This thing is just a fairly bog-standard generic phone with a famous name tacked onto it.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(February 26, 2017 at 9:46 pm)Iroscato Wrote: In what way is this a "relaunched" 3310, apart from being vaguely 3310-shaped and being sold with snake? The original could withstand a nuclear bomb at close range, and had a battery life longer than some stars. This thing is just a fairly bog-standard generic phone with a famous name tacked onto it.

I suppose you're right, it would have been nicer if they kept the original design but I am still tempted to pick one up at some point. The originals are still widely available as well.
That ain't even Snake. In my day Snake couldn't do those fancy bloody curving turns.

*Carries on mumbling about this and that and the other thing*
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(February 26, 2017 at 9:46 pm)Iroscato Wrote: In what way is this a "relaunched" 3310, apart from being vaguely 3310-shaped and being sold with snake? The original could withstand a nuclear bomb at close range, and had a battery life longer than some stars. This thing is just a fairly bog-standard generic phone with a famous name tacked onto it.

It might be as durable as the old one.  It does say in the article it has a long battery life.

I'm in two minds about the phone.

On the one hand I do fucking hate iphones sometimes, they're fragile and things just seem to go wrong with mine all the time, I've fixed some of the things but still, they're not ideal.  This phone if it is durable and has a long battery life might have its uses along with the novelty of nostalgia.

On the other hand all they're doing is releasing a crap phone and using the gimmic of nostalgia to sell it.  As you said, they're just putting the snake game on and putting a name on it.  You can probably just buy a different crap phone for cheaper.

I remember repeatedly throwing my old nokia against a brick wall when I didn't need it anymore to test the durability and it is strong.  With an iphone everyone knows you just need to drop it by accident.

pretty sure my conclusion is, fuck this phone.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

iPhones are fragile? Mine certainly isn't.
(February 26, 2017 at 10:03 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: iPhones are fragile? Mine certainly isn't.

I mean all smart phones.  As far as I know they all have those hard touch screens.  Just by the nature of that it makes it easy for the screen to smash.  Relative to the older phones.

So if you're just purely judging iphones vs an old nokia that's one aspect on which a nokia would win.

I've taken care of my screen relatively well but it still has some scuff marks around the side.  I know so many girls who's screens are fucked.  A girl I know just last week had to change hers because it was in her handbag with some keys and the keys smashed the screen up to beyond use.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(February 26, 2017 at 10:10 pm)paulpablo Wrote: So if you're just purely judging iphones vs an old nokia that's one aspect on which a nokia would win.

Of course, no question about it. The Nokia would definitely win.

Quote:I've taken care of my screen relatively well but it still has some scuff marks around the side.  I know so many girls who's screens are fucked.  A girl I know just last week had to change hers because it was in her handbag with some keys and the keys smashed the screen up to beyond use.

I have had my iPhone for a while now. I've dropped it a couple of times, it has been in pockets and bags along with other stuff like keys, etc and it hasn't got a single scratch. Maybe I'm just lucky but the iPhone has been a very durable phone for me.
(February 26, 2017 at 9:54 pm)Iroscato Wrote: That ain't even Snake. In my day Snake couldn't do those fancy bloody curving turns.

*Carries on mumbling about this and that and the other thing*

Careful there, 'Scato -- you're starting to sound like one of us Old-Timers!

Why the fuck don't they bring back the moto flip?
Flips are the best for longevity but obviously you lose half your screen real estate...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy arewethereyet 10 995 February 24, 2023 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Mobile WiFi "hotspots"? Opinions? Gawdzilla Sama 3 344 February 18, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  How Do I Send an SMS message From UK mobile to a US one ReptilianPeon 11 1782 July 9, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Coal Only Supplied 2 Percent of U.K. Electricity in the First 6 Months of 2017 Aegon 10 1156 November 10, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  During a time of phone zombies Foxaèr 2 799 July 23, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  T-Mobile Tuesdays (Free Stuff + T-Mobile Share) Tiberius 1 942 June 10, 2016 at 5:59 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  A good mobile phone for me? ReptilianPeon 27 5044 March 28, 2016 at 7:25 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How To Get A Mobile Signal? Edwardo Piet 12 2528 March 8, 2016 at 9:09 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Google's Mobile-Friendly Test Driving Me Batty: What am I Doing Wrong? Rhondazvous 10 2816 August 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Question for Those of You Wwho Use Mobile Web Devices (iPhones, Smart Phones, etc.) Rhondazvous 26 4288 July 24, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA