Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it harder to be kind or clever?
Is it harder to be kind or clever?
"It's okay if you disagree with me, I can't force you to be correct."

Vs

"Cleverness is a gift, kindness is a choice."

Being clever must be pretty spectacular but I'm of the opinion that it's better to be a kind and average intelligence person vs a clever and unkind person. After all if it weren't for the kindness of many different people we wouldn't even be alive this very moment including the kindness of a lovely mom and dad but also many others we haven't even heard of..
RE: Is it harder to be kind or clever?
What about, 'clever and kind,' and 'average asshole'?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(November 11, 2017 at 3:22 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: What about, 'clever and kind,' and 'average asshole'?

Clever and kind wins all day in that case
I don't find either to be difficult but if they did require effort I'd choose clever. I find I waste far too much kindness on assholes.
It depends on your abilities and tendencies.

If you're born/raised up to be an intelligent bastard it's probably easy to be clever but difficult to be kind.

If you're a retard raised with kindness and empathy it's going to be nearly impossible to be clever but easy to be kind.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

It's harder to be clever unless you're clever. I think kindness is always difficult unless you're an especially kind person. Being clever is either very easy or impossible depending on if you're clever or not. Being clever is like being 6 foot 1 inch or taller. Being kind is like being reasonably good at basketball.

I'd say that cleverness isn't a skill at all. It's innate, you're either smart or you're not. Knowledge can be acquired, understanding grows, but capacity for understanding is innate, neurological and genetic. It's certainly an ability but not really a skill that can be trained.

Unless you're talking about being a smartypants/witty. 'Clever' in that sense, isn't necessarily true intelligence at all. Acting smart is very different to being smart. Although it is easier to act smart if you're at least not very stupid.

Less intelligent people generally can't tell the difference between acting intelligent and being intelligent, so they often mistake one for the other.

(November 11, 2017 at 3:13 pm)pool the matey Wrote: "It's okay if you disagree with me, I can't force you to be correct."

Vs

"Cleverness is a gift, kindness is a choice."

I agree with the second one that I've bolded. That really sums it up for me.
I try to be kind, it's hard work sometimes, and people sometimes are not deserving of kindness.
I find it really hard to sound clever, basically because I'm really not. I'm working on both.
I'm usually focusing too much on being honest to bother focusing on being kind. I just say what I think and trust that if I'm a nice person the mind I reveal to the world will be a pleasant rather than unpleasant personality more times than not.

Oh, I am certainly kind in my actions though. When I have something to give.
(November 11, 2017 at 5:18 pm)Hammy Wrote: I'm usually focusing too much on being honest to bother focusing on being kind. I just say what I think and trust that if I'm a nice person the mind I reveal to the world will be a pleasant rather than unpleasant personality more times than not.

Oh, I am certainly kind in my actions though. When I have something to give.

Sometimes honesty is not the best policy, if you can save some ones feelings by keeping quiet or telling a little white lie that's better in my onion.
In the long run I think you only cause more harm by lying. And it's not like I have a choice anyway. I'd also harm myself if I lied. I have no memory of lying about anything.

Failing to spare someone's feelings is a small price to pay when they get far more hurt when they discover you lied to them and they can't trust you anymore. And lying does more harm to oneself than anyone else. I also think that the easier it is to lie to others the easier it is to lie to yourself and then that allows you to buy into fallacies more easily and makes it more difficult for you to be a consistently logical person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What kind of music? MR. Macabre 666 62 3436 October 30, 2023 at 3:21 am
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  I went to the wrong kind of school. onlinebiker 5 446 April 20, 2022 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What Kind Of Horror Do You Like ? The Architect Of Fate 43 1764 October 20, 2021 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Kind of sad. Foxaèr 6 1415 May 1, 2018 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Just wanted to share something I wrote because I'm feeling kind of down WisdomOfTheTrees 1 826 April 23, 2017 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Athene
  What kind of home have you built for yourself here? Foxaèr 30 3652 October 29, 2015 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
Video The first time since becoming an atheist that I'm kind of mad at JaclynGlenn. IanHulett 2 823 October 4, 2015 at 12:49 am
Last Post: IanHulett
  Are you kind only to those who are kind to you? *Deidre* 93 9145 September 3, 2015 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  I kind of lost my wedding ring.......... MrsTRich 20 4851 February 1, 2014 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  What kind of parenting is this? bozo 20 4494 September 23, 2011 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious