Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The World Is A Slightly Better Place
The World Is A Slightly Better Place
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/us/charles...index.html

Quote:Charles Manson, leader of murderous '60s cult, dead at 83

No fucking loss.
RE: The World Is A Slightly Better Place
I was just about to post this.

Christmas is a little merrier this year.

There are times, though, that I wish there was a hell for these scum to burn in.
Dying to live, living to die.
Mel Tillis snuffed it as well, as did Earl Hyman (who played the Russell Huxtable on 'The Cosby Show').

And it looks as if David Cassidy is going to go at any moment.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, Charles is in a better place now.

But I really don't understand obsession with this person. He was clearly total idiot and yet there are so many books about him, fans and also movies & TV shows. Almost every year there is at least one movie either about him or inspired by those killings. Apparently even Tarantino was to make a film about him, but now he's saying the script is not about him.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Meh I doubt he was ever going to break out of prison anyway.

(November 20, 2017 at 2:11 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: There are times, though, that I wish there was a hell for these scum to burn in.
I would never be in favor of that.

Because, well, like Christopher Hitchens and others have explained . . . eternal suffering is a disproportionate punishment for any immoral act no matter how immoral. This is another reason why the Christian God is so incredibly evil.

Not to mention that bloodthirsty retribution for its own sake isn't moral when contra-causal free will is an impossibility. It literally makes no sense. The ultimate cause of everyone's actions are entirely outside of anyone's control.

The whole point of punishment is for deterrence, and detainment is necessary to keep criminals from harming or killing people further (rehabilitation is also a good thing but it doesn't work on people like Charles Manson, obviously).

The world will be a much better place when the justice system (and society in general) becomes more consequentalist and less barbaric.

Hell is never moral.
I can still remember when the Manson / Tate murders happened. Charles and the Manson girls dominated the headlines and T.V. news and the tabloids. He was never going to get out of prison. He lucked out when California abolished the death penalty in that state.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
I guess it depends whether the conditions of that prison are worse than death or not? Maybe he didn't luck out.
(November 20, 2017 at 5:02 am)Hammy Wrote: I guess it depends whether the conditions of that prison are worse than death or not? Maybe he didn't luck out.
Manson had been in and out of prison for so much of his life, to him, it probably felt like his home.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
(November 20, 2017 at 2:11 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: I was just about to post this.

Christmas is a little merrier this year.

There are times, though, that I wish there was a hell for these scum to burn in.

But if he repented on his deathbed, he'd be in heaven.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 20, 2017 at 4:26 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Yeah, Charles is in a better place now.

But I really don't understand obsession with this person. He was clearly total idiot and yet there are so many books about him, fans and also movies & TV shows. Almost every year there is at least one movie either about him or inspired by those killings. Apparently even Tarantino was to make a film about him, but now he's saying the script is not about him.

I think the obsession is partly because of the timing of the murders (the murders happened a week before Woodstock, and the Manson Family was apprehended a week before Altamont) showing the darker side of the hippie movement, partly because one of the victims was a famous movie star, and partly because Manson himself acted so strangely. I suppose that his bizarre behaviour (which may or may not have been an act) may be the tipping point that explains why someone like Manson keeps getting his story told and why someone like Ed Kemper (apparently gentle giant with a MENSA level IQ who killed 8 coeds and his grandparents) has to wait until Mindhunters and the occasional composite character like Buffalo Bill to get some sort of pop cultural play.

It might also have helped that he's written a couple halfway decent songs, including this one, specifically chosen to commemorate this garbage dump of a human being:

(November 20, 2017 at 5:02 am)Hammy Wrote: I guess it depends whether the conditions of that prison are worse than death or not? Maybe he didn't luck out.

Life in prison can actually be crueler than the death penalty; just for one example see this (I don't know how much time Manson spent in the Hole in the 48 years since his arrest):

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Statues In The First Place? BrianSoddingBoru4 35 1647 July 1, 2020 at 12:01 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  We Need Better Leaders BrianSoddingBoru4 9 836 January 17, 2019 at 3:43 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  I Knew Democrats Were Better! Minimalist 4 818 November 17, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Roseanne tweets better than Trump brewer 89 10026 June 6, 2018 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  And If You Really Need To Find A Dumb Fuck, So. Carolina Is The Place To Look Minimalist 13 1258 April 7, 2018 at 7:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  I Have A Better Idea Minimalist 8 1016 March 24, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Doesn't PETA have something better to do? brewer 33 2381 March 12, 2018 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Bond "Nobody does it better" 45 related. Brian37 2 522 January 10, 2018 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The bastards better hope they never meet me Cyberman 2 1185 December 16, 2017 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  This General Is Far Better Than His C-in-C Minimalist 25 4543 October 1, 2017 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Whateverist