Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth is a sphere in the Quran: direct mentioning.
Earth is a sphere in the Quran: direct mentioning.
In two positions in the Quran, verses mentioned so clearly that earth is spherical.
Here it is:

Quote:Sura 13, The Quran:
( 41 )   Have they not seen that We set upon the land, reducing it from its borders? And Allah decides; there is no adjuster of His decision. And He is swift in account.

Quote:Sura 21, The Quran:
( 44 )   But, [on the contrary], We have provided good things for these [disbelievers] and their fathers until life was prolonged for them. Then do they not see that We set upon the land, reducing it from its borders? So it is they who will overcome?
Stand over a point. Look forward. Earth seems like it is extending infinity. The end of sight is the probable explanation; not the decrease of the border due to it being round.
A sphere's border is always decreasing. Your sight might be very tough; but it can never catch the curve resulting from the decrease of borders spherically.
Moreover; there is:
Quote:Sura 39, The Quran:
( 5 )   He created the heavens and earth in truth. He wraps the night over the day and wraps the day over the night and has subjected the sun and the moon, each running [its course] for a specified term. Unquestionably, He is the Exalted in Might, the Perpetual Forgiver.

The wrapping of the night and day over is another direct indication that the plain night and day are part of, is round.
RE: Earth is a sphere in the Quran: direct mentioning.
Would it have killed the author to write "the earth is a sphere" instead of having you scramble for interpretations of vague verses. Where does this quoted text say that the earth is a sphere? It sure sounds like they're saying that it is a *disk*.

But in any case, you do know that Erathosthenes measured the diameter of the earth empirically many hundreds of years before the Quran was written and knew exactly not only that it is a sphere but how big it is. You know that, right? Or do you just not care about reality?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 6, 2017 at 4:23 am)Alex K Wrote: Would it have killed the author to write "the earth is a sphere" instead of having you scramble for interpretations of vague verses. Where does this quoted text say that the earth is a sphere? It sure sounds like they're saying that it is a *disk*.

But in any case, you do know that Erathosthenes measured the diameter of the earth empirically many hundreds of years before the Quran was written and knew exactly not only that it is a sphere but how big it is. You know that, right? Or do you just not care about reality?

The phrase "decrease it from its borders" is the interesting part. How did the author know that the horizon is due to a curve in the ground (or a decrease in the border); not a spread ground in a disk form or a flat form?

The book was bombarded a lot as being inaccurate, or even giving fantasy tales like "people seeing the sun setting in a muddy lake", the book is more advanced than that.

Spherical earth was no more of a theory or a scientific opinion across the ancient world, it was an argument and a belief that some had; many Greek scholars made it go viral, the God of the Quran is also the God of the Greeks. My point is: if God revealed to Mohammed that earth is a sphere, he revealed the same to other prophets from other civilizations before him.
But the verse under discussion isn't a geography lesson, but a political one.  The phrase 'decrease it from its borders' doesn't refer to the horizon, but to the diminishment of the land under control of non-believers.

But I agree that it doesn't refer to a disc - there's no mention of the Elephants or the Turtle.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Didn't the ancient greeks deduce the earth was a disc (or round) by the round shadow of the earth on the moon? about 4-5 thousand years ago?
No gods necessary... No divinity ...just plain old common sense.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 6, 2017 at 2:52 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: Earth is a sphere in the Quran

Not so fast

https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Flat_Earth_and_the_Quran

Quote:Conclusion

Shaykh Abdul-Aziz Ibn Baaz, the former supreme religious authority of Saudi Arabia, believed the earth is flat, and so does Muslim Researcher on Astronomy Fadhel Al-Sa'd, who declared in a televised debate aired on Iraqi Al-Fayhaa TV (October 31, 2007) that the Earth is flat as evidenced by Qur'anic verses and that the sun is much smaller than the Earth and revolves around it.

As devout Muslims, they have good reason to conclude the Earth is flat; the Qur'anic verses 15:19, 20:53, 43:10, 50:7, 51:48, 71:19, 78:6, 79:30, 88:20 and 91:6 all clearly state this and not a single verse in the Qur'an hint to a spherical earth.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(December 6, 2017 at 6:41 am)ignoramus Wrote: Didn't the ancient greeks deduce the earth was a disc (or round) by the round shadow of the earth on the moon? about 4-5 thousand years ago?

They measured its spherical diameter to fairly good precision in 200 BCE, for crying out loud.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 6, 2017 at 4:58 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: The phrase "decrease it from its borders" is the interesting part. How did the author know that the horizon is due to a curve in the ground (or a decrease in the border); not a spread ground in a disk form or a flat form?
There have been many reasons, some factual but just as many non-factual...that people have proposed a spherical earth throughout history.

Quote:The book was bombarded a lot as being inaccurate, or even giving fantasy tales like "people seeing the sun setting in a muddy lake", the book is more advanced than that.
Because it is inaccurate, and it is full of fairy tales.

Quote:Spherical earth was no more of a theory or a scientific opinion across the ancient world, it was an argument and a belief that some had; many Greek scholars made it go viral, the God of the Quran is also the God of the Greeks.
LOLNO.
Quote:My point is: if God revealed to Mohammed that earth is a sphere, he revealed the same to other prophets from other civilizations before him.
LOLNO.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The Earth is whatever you want it to be in the big book of multiple choice!

That wrapping the day side and night side remind me of a mattress that has a summer side and a winter side. Last time I checked, most mattresses were not spherical.
(December 6, 2017 at 6:41 am)ignoramus Wrote: Didn't the ancient greeks deduce the earth was a disc (or round) by the round shadow of the earth on the moon? about 4-5 thousand years ago?

They deduced it a sphere from that.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 84 2758 1 hour ago
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran Leonardo17 100 8651 August 20, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20554 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1282 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4380 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How I'd Reveal the Quran To Humanity ReptilianPeon 23 2903 May 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Cavalry
  2-big bang theory in the Quran mo3taz3nbar 108 48881 April 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 12356 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Quranic Reflection]: On reading the Quran.. WinterHold 1 865 July 24, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. WinterHold 253 14344 December 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: polymath257